Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Finally, I am moving on in my quest to play the entire Ultima series
in order, and I am playing Savage Empire for the first time.

I've recovered Jimmy and Rafkin, and have the shaman dude from the
beginning, Triolo. Talked to the glowie dudes, and found a big pile of
teleporters and Rafkin's lab.

Some observations:
There doesn't seem to be any penalty for theft, is there? Is there any
way to get food other than steal all the food from the various
villages? Oh, I did find some bananas in trees, so there's that.

I'm kinda curious about this pile of teleporters. One of them is
currently disabled, guessing it goes to the hidden city or something.
Oh, Jimmy's notebook is a great idea, I was very glad to have that.

Finding my way around is really frustrating. All the cliffs and mesas
and ladders and steps carved into the rocks.

Fights seem really easy so far. The guards in the stone city were one
or two shot kills. I did run like hell from the one T-Rex I've seen so
far. Just in case.

Is there anywhere to buy supplies? I've got about 100 arrows, all
stolen from various villages, but I'm not sure what'll happen when I
run out.

Well, I guess it's time to go make a big drum. That's one of the few
quests I've managed to get a start on.

Any words of advice?

Goldenflame Dragon

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Goldenflame Dragon swings
about and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> Finally, I am moving on in my quest to play the entire Ultima series
> in order, and I am playing Savage Empire for the first time.
>
> I've recovered Jimmy and Rafkin, and have the shaman dude from the
> beginning, Triolo. Talked to the glowie dudes, and found a big pile of
> teleporters and Rafkin's lab.
>
> Some observations:
> There doesn't seem to be any penalty for theft, is there? Is there any
> way to get food other than steal all the food from the various
> villages? Oh, I did find some bananas in trees, so there's that.

No penalty for theft. ICly speaking though, your items are just as much
fair game, so don't leave things lying around.

> I'm kinda curious about this pile of teleporters. One of them is
> currently disabled, guessing it goes to the hidden city or something.

It leads to an older village, now abandoned.

> Oh, Jimmy's notebook is a great idea, I was very glad to have that.

Yep. Be sure to get him to read it often. He's got a good way of putting
things.

> Finding my way around is really frustrating. All the cliffs and mesas
> and ladders and steps carved into the rocks.

Maps are good.

> Fights seem really easy so far. The guards in the stone city were one
> or two shot kills. I did run like hell from the one T-Rex I've seen so
> far. Just in case.

Wise. Talk to parrots about them.

> Is there anywhere to buy supplies? I've got about 100 arrows, all
> stolen from various villages, but I'm not sure what'll happen when I
> run out.

Trade in Tichticatl.

> Well, I guess it's time to go make a big drum. That's one of the few
> quests I've managed to get a start on.

Enjoy playing with the Stooges.

> Any words of advice?

Rescue Aiela. That's the key to starting what needs to be done.
Keep the tools from the lab. Several are very useful.
Unlike in U6, bottles and jars can be containers with useful stuff inside.
Keep Rafkin about. His knowledge includes geology and improvisation of
weapons.
Local currancy is emeralds. You can trade parrot feathers for them.
You can trade Yucca for shamanistic offerings with the Pindiro shaman.

Poke about. You can learn a fair bit from some of the people in odder
places.
If you go near the Barako, get Shamaru to join right away. There's a bug
which gets him fighting a snake, which usually kills that character fairly
quickly.
--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <ac37f0tn5sflm7h76jusk24vqlhl3nu1ve@4ax.com>, Goldenflame Dragon
wrote:
> Some observations:
> There doesn't seem to be any penalty for theft, is there?

Savage Empire is set for the most part in early hunter-gatherer cultures
which practice a form of primitive communism. Goods are plentiful so
property relations aren't strictly enforced.

> Is there any
> way to get food other than steal all the food from the various
> villages?

Find yourself a fishing pole. Water is damn near everywhere in that game,
so a little angling before bedtime can save you the trouble of hoarding
food in advance.

> Fights seem really easy so far. The guards in the stone city were one
> or two shot kills. I did run like hell from the one T-Rex I've seen so
> far. Just in case.

Wait until you start exploring the caves...

> Is there anywhere to buy supplies? I've got about 100 arrows, all
> stolen from various villages, but I'm not sure what'll happen when I
> run out.

IIRC, the Aztec-like community are the only ones to have developed a market
economy. You'll be able to trade for weapons and armour there.

> Any words of advice?

Fire extinguishers are excellent multi-purpose devices.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <ac37f0tn5sflm7h76jusk24vqlhl3nu1ve@4ax.com>, madman@well.com
says...

>Finally, I am moving on in my quest to play the entire Ultima series
>in order, and I am playing Savage Empire for the first time.

>I've recovered Jimmy and Rafkin, and have the shaman dude from the
>beginning, Triolo. Talked to the glowie dudes, and found a big pile of
>teleporters and Rafkin's lab.

>Some observations:
>There doesn't seem to be any penalty for theft, is there? Is there any
>way to get food other than steal all the food from the various
>villages? Oh, I did find some bananas in trees, so there's that.

>I'm kinda curious about this pile of teleporters. One of them is
>currently disabled, guessing it goes to the hidden city or something.
>Oh, Jimmy's notebook is a great idea, I was very glad to have that.

>Finding my way around is really frustrating. All the cliffs and mesas
>and ladders and steps carved into the rocks.

>Fights seem really easy so far. The guards in the stone city were one
>or two shot kills. I did run like hell from the one T-Rex I've seen so
>far. Just in case.

>Is there anywhere to buy supplies? I've got about 100 arrows, all
>stolen from various villages, but I'm not sure what'll happen when I
>run out.

>Well, I guess it's time to go make a big drum. That's one of the few
>quests I've managed to get a start on.

>Any words of advice?

You can see a map of the surface area and caves on my web page below. The
other maps are on other Ultima web sites.

These was an inventory trick that involved moving items in and out of bags that
multiplied the number of items, but I didn't put a copy in my files and the
only web page I could find on Google that references it no longer exists. Does
anyone remember the exact sequence for this trick?

I also have a list of unanswered questions from Savage Empire that was posted
many years ago. I'll post them in a separate note.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <BBgJc.63204$6e7.9688@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, no@email.ads says...

>These was an inventory trick that involved moving items in and out of bags
>that multiplied the number of items, but I didn't put a copy in my files and
>the only web page I could find on Google that references it no longer exists.
>Does anyone remember the exact sequence for this trick?

After posting this, I found my notes with the inventory trick. I tried it and
it still works.

Duplicating numbered items in Savage Empire.

You need have to already have two of what you want to duplicate, plus a sack or
basket.

You drop the sack or bastket, then to the east of it, drop one of the items you
wish duplicated. Then you drop the second item directly on top of the first
one. Next you move the item into the sack. You just keep moving the item in as
many times as you like. You can get as many of the itme as you like.

Ken Rice wrote:

> Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
> http://users.erols.com/kennrice
> Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks

I apologise that this has nothing to do with SE, but I'd just like
to point out that the Lego Concentration Camp that your site contains
is one seriously warped idea.

( Take this comment as you see fit.. I'm unable to determine whether
I approve or not. )

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <40f943a8$0$39758$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>,
jpm@it-he.org says...

>Ken Rice wrote:

>> Ken Rice -=:=- kennrice (AT) erols (DOT) com
>> http://users.erols.com/kennrice
>> Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks

>I apologise that this has nothing to do with SE, but I'd just like
>to point out that the Lego Concentration Camp that your site contains
>is one seriously warped idea.

>( Take this comment as you see fit.. I'm unable to determine whether
> I approve or not. )

Not really. You should check out the rest of Zbigniew Libera's work. The
Concentration Camp is tame by comparison.

http://csw.art.pl/new/libera/libera_e.html

And check out this site: http://www.blockdeath.com/