Hi,

After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I reinstalled the XP
pro and it is no use. Is there a program to display the desktop? I can
access task manager and cmd.

Thanks.

Enable/Disable Desktop Icons (Line 72, Left)
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

§Chrissi§ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
> the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I reinstalled the
> XP pro and it is no use. Is there a program to display the desktop? I
> can access task manager and cmd.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I tried to run the vbscript but it gave an error
saying,

Symantec: Script blocking has prevented a script action that could be
harmful to you.
Application: WScript.exe.

I googled WScript. According to one information, WScript.exe is MS script
host. But according to others, it is an virus.

If you can help me further, I'll be very grateful.
> Enable/Disable Desktop Icons (Line 72, Left)
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> §Chrissi§ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the
>> PC,
>> the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I reinstalled the
>> XP pro and it is no use. Is there a program to display the desktop? I
>> can access task manager and cmd.
>>
>> Thanks.

Hi,

Wscript is not a virus. Probably it has someting to do with Norton
software.

Disable Norton Script Blocking.

Turning off Script Blocking in Norton AntiVirus:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001082912274906

What is Norton AntiVirus Script Blocking technology?:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001020912195106
--

§Chrissi§ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help. I tried to run the vbscript but it gave an error
> saying,
>
> Symantec: Script blocking has prevented a script action that could be
> harmful to you.
> Application: WScript.exe.
>
> I googled WScript. According to one information, WScript.exe is MS
> script host. But according to others, it is an virus.
>
> If you can help me further, I'll be very grateful.
> > Enable/Disable Desktop Icons (Line 72, Left)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > §Chrissi§ wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the
> > > PC,
> > > the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I reinstalled
> > > the XP pro and it is no use. Is there a program to display the
> > > desktop? I can access task manager and cmd.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

§Chrissi§ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help. I tried to run the vbscript but it gave an error
> saying,
>
> Symantec: Script blocking has prevented a script action that could be
> harmful to you.
> Application: WScript.exe.
>
> I googled WScript. According to one information, WScript.exe is MS script
> host. But according to others, it is an virus.
>
> If you can help me further, I'll be very grateful.
>
>>Enable/Disable Desktop Icons (Line 72, Left)
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>>
>>§Chrissi§ wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the
>>>PC,
>>>the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I reinstalled the
>>>XP pro and it is no use. Is there a program to display the desktop? I
>>>can access task manager and cmd.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

Read the information at the top of Kelly's page where you got the
download. It addresses that issue. It's a standard warning about
scripts from norton. Kelly's scripts are not malicious.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

It is no use after I run THE vbscript. I did got a msg saying "Desktop
icons are now ENABLED". Do you know there are some entries in Register
I can modify to
fix it? When I run explorer.exe, it says "Windows cannot find
'C:\windows\explorer.exe' ". But it can run other apps such as
notepad.exe.

Thanks a lot.

--
chrissi