Netbook: couple questions!

Howdy,

I was thinking about a netbook since they are so cheap and I need something portable for school.

I was looking on newegg and my pick is this "Acer Aspire One AOA110-1626 Onyx Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 8.9" WSVGA 1GB Memory 16GB SSD Netbook"

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115508

So here are my questions.

1. Since the netbooks are so small will it get warm and uncomfortable on my legs like my old laptop?

2. Since it has no cd drive is there any way to install windows xp on it?

3. Should I get this particular netbook or look/ wait for something else to come out? I wanted to go with ssd for faster bootup and that I won't break it when I toss it in my bag.

4. Since they are not complicated it should run pretty quiet right?

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
1. Since the netbooks are so small will it get warm and uncomfortable on my legs like my old laptop?
ANSWER: This depends really on the netbook, and I can't really comment on this, but usually they won't get that hot.

2. Since it has no cd drive is there any way to install windows xp on it?
ANSWER: You can buy an external USB DVD/CD drive, usually netbooks come with XP or Linux for performance. Again, this depends on the netbook itself, there is no standard.

3. Should I get this particular netbook or look/ wait for something else to come out? I wanted to go with ssd for faster bootup and that I won't break it when I toss it in my bag.
ANSWER: This should be up to you, that is not for us to decide! and you should be more careful then :p

4. Since they are not complicated it should run pretty quiet right?
ANSWER: Again, this is depending on the netbook. Look at the RPM speed of the fan and the dB rating, the lower these are then the quieter the netbook should be, but too low and they will get hot! Usually around 10dB is considered quiet, but they are usually quiet machines.

Hope I helped and if there are any more questions feel free to post them.
:D Make the right choice now and be careful ;)

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
As for installing XP, if you have a copy of XP around, you could do a google search for a way to install XP off a flash drive. I know it's possible, but I don't know how to do it.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There are a lot of netbooks on the market now, with similar features. Some of them come with XP loaded for not much more than the ones that come with Linux loaded.

There are some differences- such as Linux vs. WinXP, solid state hard drive vs. spinning hard drive, 9" vs. 10" display. Otherwise all the major ones seem to be good quality and good value.

CoachB

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
From what I've read, the Lenovo S10, the Samsung NC10 and the MSI Wind are felt to be the most user frendly. They have near normal sized keyboards, readable screen sizes, have good battery life, run pretty cool, come with a variety of HDD options, and can be found with either XP or Linux. I'm watching for a MSI Wind for a good price.
The solid state HDD is attractive but you get a bunch more storage on a regular platter drive.

s8472

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Hi all,
Although I don't own one, to me the most important aspect of a netbook is its battery life, and in that respect no manufacturer can beat Asus. Their Eee PC 1000, 1000H models come with 6 cell batteries and promise up to 6-7 hours of runtime on a single charge. If you think you can put up with 2-3 hours of runtime, then they say MSI Wind (U100) has the best keyboard, which is the second most important aspect you should consider if you are going to type a lot of text. AA One and Asus 900 are known to have cramped keyboards and are said to be quite difficult to type long passages on. Some also tend to have the right shift key in the wrong place, on the right edge after the up arrow!.. You would frequently press the up arrow key instead of the shift key, I know I would and would be quite irritated. So I say try them out before you decide, if you haven't already.

niforean

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
im going with the asus eee pc 1000he myself, just ordered it off ebay.

n280 (1.66ghz) processor,
1gb ram,
wifi b/g/n
bluetooth
webcam
9.5 hours battery (ultimate power saving mode though)
and a great little keyboard.
apparently the best speakers on a netbook so far

paid about $630 AUD for it, from america of course. Retailers here would sell it for over $1000 (if they had it)

niforean

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
forgot to add, since this is a uk site, $630 AUD would be just under 300 pounds, i think (i dont have that pound sign on my keyboard ^.^)

TNT

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

Hi! I have a netbook Samsung nc10 and I am quite happy with it. xp was already installed but you can always install any programs simply with an external device via USB. My advise is to check the battery whether it's a 3 or 6 cell, 3 cell works for about 3 hours the 6 one about 6 hours... it depends on how long you want it to work unplugged bye, hope I was useful.

Hyno

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I think a netbook is a good choice to for your purpose. Easy to carry and I don't think they get hotter than a normal laptop. There's already a large selection on the market with the eeepc leading the trend.