Another Martian Dreams Problem

Last response: in Video Games
August 18, 2004 8:32:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Grrr. I've spent hours trying to get the stupid conveyor belt part working
to get power back on and it refuses to work. So I finally decided to look at
walkthroughs on the net and it looks like I did everything right. Only the
stupid robot isn't shovelling the stupid coal into the stupid furnace.

I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal into
the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has nothing on
it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot that is meant to put
it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything with it. I'm not sure what
was where originally, but I'd say the fact there is coal next to the robot
means I did what I was meant to do. No matter how much coal I feed into the
furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is being
stupid.

Anyway, have I not done something I should have done?

More about : martian dreams problem

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:34:22 AM

"Watcher Dragon" <thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au> wrote in message
> No matter how much coal I feed into the
> furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is
being
> stupid.

By 'nothing happens' I mean that the furnace turns on for a short amount of
time, it says "the conveyor belt is moving", but no coal or anything is
moving (as there is nothing on the belt). All that is happening is the belt
is turning on.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:12:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <LZAUc.1477$R7.411@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au says...

>Grrr. I've spent hours trying to get the stupid conveyor belt part working
>to get power back on and it refuses to work. So I finally decided to look at
>walkthroughs on the net and it looks like I did everything right. Only the
>stupid robot isn't shovelling the stupid coal into the stupid furnace.

>I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal into
>the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has nothing on
>it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot that is meant to put
>it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything with it. I'm not sure what
>was where originally, but I'd say the fact there is coal next to the robot
>means I did what I was meant to do. No matter how much coal I feed into the
>furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is being
>stupid.

>Anyway, have I not done something I should have done?

The robot next to the furnace is Stoker. There is another robot, Coker, that
shovels coal onto the conveyor belt.

You have to keep the furnace hot until the coal from Coker starts arriving on
the belt and Stoker takes over. I don't recall how long it took for that to
happen.

Is there any coal at all on the belt?

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
August 19, 2004 5:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

No coal on the belt, it had already all travelled along to next to Stoker.
Neither robot was moving and doing their job like they were meant to. So I
restarted and they decided to do their jobs this time. I've now finished so
all is good.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 12:36:09 AM

> No coal on the belt, it had already all travelled along to next to
Stoker.
> Neither robot was moving and doing their job like they were meant
to. So I
> restarted and they decided to do their jobs this time. I've now
finished so
> all is good.

I would recommend you keep back up of saved games from various points
in the game, if at all possible--not by copying the savegame files,
but by simply making a ZIP file of the ENTIRE contents of the MARTIAN
directory. My Martian Dreams game was ruined last year when I was
suddenly unable to get into the dream realm at the very, very end and
fulfill the final few quests of the game :-(

Anyway, the game is generally so tiny that you probably want to keep a
ZIP file for every few days that you play the game. My own method of
just backing up the savegame files did not appear to work correctly.

-Ophidian
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:13:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

"Watcher Dragon" <thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au> wrote in

> I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal
> into the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has
> nothing on it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot
> that is meant to put it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything
> with it.

Assuming you found Coker, you need to keep feeding the furnace until Stoker
takes over. I believe it has something to do with getting the heat high
enough so that it doesn't automatically go out.
Also, naturally, make sure one of your party members isn't standing in
Stoker's way. :)

-==Kensu==-
!