Another Martian Dreams Problem

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Grrr. I've spent hours trying to get the stupid conveyor belt part working
to get power back on and it refuses to work. So I finally decided to look at
walkthroughs on the net and it looks like I did everything right. Only the
stupid robot isn't shovelling the stupid coal into the stupid furnace.

I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal into
the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has nothing on
it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot that is meant to put
it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything with it. I'm not sure what
was where originally, but I'd say the fact there is coal next to the robot
means I did what I was meant to do. No matter how much coal I feed into the
furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is being
stupid.

Anyway, have I not done something I should have done?
5 answers Last reply
More about another martian dreams problem
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "Watcher Dragon" <thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au> wrote in message
    > No matter how much coal I feed into the
    > furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is
    being
    > stupid.

    By 'nothing happens' I mean that the furnace turns on for a short amount of
    time, it says "the conveyor belt is moving", but no coal or anything is
    moving (as there is nothing on the belt). All that is happening is the belt
    is turning on.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    In article <LZAUc.1477$R7.411@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au says...

    >Grrr. I've spent hours trying to get the stupid conveyor belt part working
    >to get power back on and it refuses to work. So I finally decided to look at
    >walkthroughs on the net and it looks like I did everything right. Only the
    >stupid robot isn't shovelling the stupid coal into the stupid furnace.

    >I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal into
    >the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has nothing on
    >it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot that is meant to put
    >it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything with it. I'm not sure what
    >was where originally, but I'd say the fact there is coal next to the robot
    >means I did what I was meant to do. No matter how much coal I feed into the
    >furnace now, nothing happens, so I can only assume the stupid game is being
    >stupid.

    >Anyway, have I not done something I should have done?

    The robot next to the furnace is Stoker. There is another robot, Coker, that
    shovels coal onto the conveyor belt.

    You have to keep the furnace hot until the coal from Coker starts arriving on
    the belt and Stoker takes over. I don't recall how long it took for that to
    happen.

    Is there any coal at all on the belt?

    http://users.erols.com/kennrice
    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    No coal on the belt, it had already all travelled along to next to Stoker.
    Neither robot was moving and doing their job like they were meant to. So I
    restarted and they decided to do their jobs this time. I've now finished so
    all is good.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > No coal on the belt, it had already all travelled along to next to
    Stoker.
    > Neither robot was moving and doing their job like they were meant
    to. So I
    > restarted and they decided to do their jobs this time. I've now
    finished so
    > all is good.

    I would recommend you keep back up of saved games from various points
    in the game, if at all possible--not by copying the savegame files,
    but by simply making a ZIP file of the ENTIRE contents of the MARTIAN
    directory. My Martian Dreams game was ruined last year when I was
    suddenly unable to get into the dream realm at the very, very end and
    fulfill the final few quests of the game :-(

    Anyway, the game is generally so tiny that you probably want to keep a
    ZIP file for every few days that you play the game. My own method of
    just backing up the savegame files did not appear to work correctly.

    -Ophidian
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "Watcher Dragon" <thepal@etherealsoftware.com.au> wrote in

    > I've fixed the conveyor belt and put it back on. I've shovelled coal
    > into the furnace to start it up. At the moment the conveyor belt has
    > nothing on it and there is a "huge pile of coal" next to the robot
    > that is meant to put it into the furnace, but he doesn't do anything
    > with it.

    Assuming you found Coker, you need to keep feeding the furnace until Stoker
    takes over. I believe it has something to do with getting the heat high
    enough so that it doesn't automatically go out.
    Also, naturally, make sure one of your party members isn't standing in
    Stoker's way. :)

    -==Kensu==-

Computers Games Video Games