MS services run or stop ?

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' / Services .
Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I am looking to for a
MS website to assist with which of these items are necessary to be running
-or- stopped . Thank You .
--
KD

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Installer wrote:

> Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' / Services .
> Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I am looking to for a
> MS website to assist with which of these items are necessary to be running
> -or- stopped . Thank You .

Do not disable MS services from msconfig. Use services.msc from Start |
Run.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , Thank You 'Rock' . In the column (Status) , Must the service
selected need to read 'Started' even though in the Column ( Startup type )
reads either 'Automatic' or 'Manual' for service to actualy be enabled ? {
In the column ( Status ) , many items listed have a blank , however all
services in column ( Startup type ) shows the status 'Automatic ' or '
Manual' for every service } .

Thank You .
--
KD

"Rock" wrote:

> Installer wrote:
>
> > Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' / Services .
> > Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I am looking to for a
> > MS website to assist with which of these items are necessary to be running
> > -or- stopped . Thank You .
>
> Do not disable MS services from msconfig. Use services.msc from Start |
> Run.
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Installer wrote:

> Hello , Thank You 'Rock' . In the column (Status) , Must the service
> selected need to read 'Started' even though in the Column ( Startup type )
> reads either 'Automatic' or 'Manual' for service to actualy be enabled ? {
> In the column ( Status ) , many items listed have a blank , however all
> services in column ( Startup type ) shows the status 'Automatic ' or '
> Manual' for every service } .
>
> Thank You .

Those that are automatic should show started. The manual ones can be
either started or show the "blank" ie not started. They will start when
needed.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , Thanks again Rock . I really dig that eldergeek.com . Thank You .
--
KD

"Rock" wrote:

> Installer wrote:
>
> > Hello , Thank You 'Rock' . In the column (Status) , Must the service
> > selected need to read 'Started' even though in the Column ( Startup type )
> > reads either 'Automatic' or 'Manual' for service to actualy be enabled ? {
> > In the column ( Status ) , many items listed have a blank , however all
> > services in column ( Startup type ) shows the status 'Automatic ' or '
> > Manual' for every service } .
> >
> > Thank You .
>
> Those that are automatic should show started. The manual ones can be
> either started or show the "blank" ie not started. They will start when
> needed.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Installer wrote:

> Hello , Thanks again Rock . I really dig that eldergeek.com . Thank You .

You're welcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Installer wrote:
>> Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' /
>> Services . Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I
>> am looking to for a MS website to assist with which of these items
>> are necessary to be running
>> -or- stopped . Thank You .
>> --
>> KD

Here are a couple more links:

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm (taken from Black Viper's old
site)

And on a related note:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello Thank You Bruce Phillips .
--
KD

"Bruce Phillips" wrote:

> Installer wrote:
> >> Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' /
> >> Services . Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I
> >> am looking to for a MS website to assist with which of these items
> >> are necessary to be running
> >> -or- stopped . Thank You .
> >> --
> >> KD
>
> Here are a couple more links:
>
> http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml
>
> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm (taken from Black Viper's old
> site)
>
> And on a related note:
>
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Thank You Rock and Bruce Phillips . I set services per theeldergeek , and
the pc did not digest the 'Recommended ' settings well at all . I viewed the
' Default' settings at this website to then follow . My Pc is running great .
The posts were helpful . Thank You .
--
KD

"Installer" wrote:

> Hello , XP , SP2 , H/P Pavillion Labtop . I opened 'msconfig' / Services .
> Ms services ... some are running , some are stopped . I am looking to for a
> MS website to assist with which of these items are necessary to be running
> -or- stopped . Thank You .
> --
> KD

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Installer wrote:
> Thank You Rock and Bruce Phillips . I set services per theeldergeek , and
> the pc did not digest the 'Recommended ' settings well at all . I viewed the
> ' Default' settings at this website to then follow . My Pc is running great .
> The posts were helpful . Thank You .

Great, glad it's working fine for you and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS