USB Hub Device Drivers Not found on Windows XP SP2 system ..

June 10, 2005 5:59:12 PM

Okay, here's the deal. I have an older PC that has two USB ports in the
back of the box and several USB devices that I want to plug in at the front
of the box.

When I plug a USB device into one of those ports the system recognizes it
and I start working. Great no problem!

I purchased two different USB hubs already and get the same response from
both of them.

When I plug in the USB hub (4 ports) it sees the new hardware and tries to
install the drivers. But it can't find the USB device and gives me the
error that the USB Device driver was not found. I have searched my system
trying to find something that would satisfy the installer, but it doesn't
accept any of them.

I've gone to the Microsoft support site and searched for answers with no
real solution. There are similar problems mentioned, but none of them give
me a workable solution for my problem. One uses the Registry Editor, but
from what I can see I have the latest versions already, so that one is for
SP1 and may not help either.

There already is a root USB hub in the system, but this doesn't help with
the new hub. So far, everything I have seen says that it should work.

What am I missing here?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard..

Details: New USB Hub: GE Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub (1.1 and 2.0 compatible), USB
extension plug (works on all other USB devices), Power adapter.
Computer: Dell PII 400 MHz, 386 RAM, 260 GB HD,
System: Windows XP Home SP2
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:59:13 PM

try to download the drivers from the manufactures website see if that works

"Richard" wrote:

> Okay, here's the deal. I have an older PC that has two USB ports in the
> back of the box and several USB devices that I want to plug in at the front
> of the box.
>
> When I plug a USB device into one of those ports the system recognizes it
> and I start working. Great no problem!
>
> I purchased two different USB hubs already and get the same response from
> both of them.
>
> When I plug in the USB hub (4 ports) it sees the new hardware and tries to
> install the drivers. But it can't find the USB device and gives me the
> error that the USB Device driver was not found. I have searched my system
> trying to find something that would satisfy the installer, but it doesn't
> accept any of them.
>
> I've gone to the Microsoft support site and searched for answers with no
> real solution. There are similar problems mentioned, but none of them give
> me a workable solution for my problem. One uses the Registry Editor, but
> from what I can see I have the latest versions already, so that one is for
> SP1 and may not help either.
>
> There already is a root USB hub in the system, but this doesn't help with
> the new hub. So far, everything I have seen says that it should work.
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard..
>
> Details: New USB Hub: GE Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub (1.1 and 2.0 compatible), USB
> extension plug (works on all other USB devices), Power adapter.
> Computer: Dell PII 400 MHz, 386 RAM, 260 GB HD,
> System: Windows XP Home SP2

June 10, 2005 7:30:00 PM

if you are trying to use this as an extension of an existing usb port that
is why the system is confused.
some usb 2 hubs are not compatible with 1.1 usb ports.
I would suggest purchasing a pci usb 2.0 card, most have a hub port built on
and 4 external ports. You would also get the drivers to make it work
properly.

!