Power/Restart problems

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

My computer has stopped starting first time. A red light comes on when I
press the power button, I have to turn it off, then on again, and finally it
loads. Also, restart doesn't happen, the red light comes on instead...
Please help!!

Malke

val wrote:

> My computer has stopped starting first time. A red light comes on
> when I press the power button, I have to turn it off, then on again,
> and finally it loads. Also, restart doesn't happen, the red light
> comes on instead... Please help!!

You don't give much information here - some computer specs would have
been useful - but what you are describing is a classic symptom of a
failing power supply. What happens is that the power supply unit (psu)
doesn't have enough juice to get the hard drive spinning all the way.
So you try again and then there is enough momentum on the drive to get
it going enough to load the operating system. The way to test this is
by swapping out your psu for a known-working one. If you don't have a
spare and/or are uncomfortable opening and working inside your
computer, take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not
your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers