Strange critical update

June 10, 2005 7:10:38 PM

I have a Dell desktop PC running XP Home SP2. I connect to the
Internet via a cable modem. On Thursday morning, the 9th, I noticed that
there was a critical update waiting to be installed. I let Automatic
Updates take care of it. A few hours later, curious to know what had been
installed, I visited Windows Update and checked "View installation history"
and this is the update:

<<Dell Inc. - Video - Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller>>

Isn't that a peculiar thing to appear as a critical update? I already
have the latest video driver from Intel installed.
June 10, 2005 7:10:39 PM

History Fan wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP Home SP2. I connect to the
> Internet via a cable modem. On Thursday morning, the 9th, I noticed that
> there was a critical update waiting to be installed. I let Automatic
> Updates take care of it. A few hours later, curious to know what had been
> installed, I visited Windows Update and checked "View installation history"
> and this is the update:
>
> <<Dell Inc. - Video - Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller>>
>
> Isn't that a peculiar thing to appear as a critical update? I already
> have the latest video driver from Intel installed.

It's better to not use automatic updates, and WU should not be used for
driver updates. Get those from the device manufacturer's web site and
then only if there is a problem that update will address or if there is
some new must have feature. On the the WU site use custom install and
review all updates before installing.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

First off, that driver update /may/ screw up your display. From my Dell
Support contact:

<QP>
It changes display resolution to 1280x1024. If the display does not support
this resolution, then [you will] get a "this video mode not supported"
message at boot. Fix is to boot to vga and set resolution to 1024x768.
</QP>

At last report (which may have been after you installed this update) MS was
aware of this possible conflict and was going to pull it from Windows
Update.

Second, experienced users will never install driver updates offered by
Windows Update. Another reason to configure Automatic Updates not to
automatically install all available updates.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

CC: BB [ReplyTo munged]

History Fan wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop PC running XP Home SP2. I connect to the
> Internet via a cable modem. On Thursday morning, the 9th, I noticed that
> there was a critical update waiting to be installed. I let Automatic
> Updates take care of it. A few hours later, curious to know what had been
> installed, I visited Windows Update and checked "View installation
> history" and this is the update:
>
> <<Dell Inc. - Video - Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller>>
>
> Isn't that a peculiar thing to appear as a critical update? I
> already have the latest video driver from Intel installed.
Related resources
June 10, 2005 7:34:02 PM

PA Bear wrote:

> First off, that driver update /may/ screw up your display. From my
> Dell Support contact:
>
> <QP>
> It changes display resolution to 1280x1024. If the display does not
> support this resolution, then [you will] get a "this video mode not
> supported" message at boot. Fix is to boot to vga and set resolution
> to 1024x768. </QP>
>
> At last report (which may have been after you installed this update)
> MS was aware of this possible conflict and was going to pull it from
> Windows Update.
>
> Second, experienced users will never install driver updates offered by
> Windows Update. Another reason to configure Automatic Updates not to
> automatically install all available updates.
>
> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

I can tell you for *sure* that driver update will screw up your display
if you have it on an older monitor that does only 1024x768. Since I was
working on setting up a customer's new Dell, for fun I thought I would
install that very same driver update. It just confirmed what I always
say - don't use driver updates from Windows Update! Thanks Bear for
explaining the reason it screwed up. I didn't have a problem fixing it,
but this is a perfect illustration of why we all wish there were no
driver updates on Windows Update.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Check your inbox.
--
~PA Bear

Malke wrote:
> PA Bear wrote:
>
> > First off, that driver update /may/ screw up your display. From my
> > Dell Support contact:
> >
> > <QP>
> > It changes display resolution to 1280x1024. If the display does not
> > support this resolution, then [you will] get a "this video mode not
> > supported" message at boot. Fix is to boot to vga and set resolution
> > to 1024x768. </QP>
> >
> > At last report (which may have been after you installed this update)
> > MS was aware of this possible conflict and was going to pull it from
> > Windows Update.
> >
> > Second, experienced users will never install driver updates offered by
> > Windows Update. Another reason to configure Automatic Updates not to
> > automatically install all available updates.
> >
> > How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
> >

> I can tell you for *sure* that driver update will screw up your display
> if you have it on an older monitor that does only 1024x768. Since I was
> working on setting up a customer's new Dell, for fun I thought I would
> install that very same driver update. It just confirmed what I always
> say - don't use driver updates from Windows Update! Thanks Bear for
> explaining the reason it screwed up. I didn't have a problem fixing it,
> but this is a perfect illustration of why we all wish there were no
> driver updates on Windows Update.
>
> Malke
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:35:34 PM

The curious thing is that the Intel video driver has been available (on
my computer) for a long time on Windows Update, but as an 'optional' update.
Now suddenly it's changed to a critical or urgent update.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:54:11 PM

Unless you /know/ this driver update applies to your monitor, don't install
it.
--

History Fan wrote:
> The curious thing is that the Intel video driver has been available
> (on my computer) for a long time on Windows Update, but as an 'optional'
> update. Now suddenly it's changed to a critical or urgent update.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:00:48 PM

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in the video display settings.
The same Intel driver is installed, with the same date and the same version
number. So maybe no harm was done.

!