Fanfiction game development

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Hello!

I have been a bit away from the scene, developing the engine needed to
develop (amongst other things) a Ultima related game I have been planned a
bit ago.

I keep reloading the reconstruction website from time to time, finding the
same always.... whatever, I was sad to see that "The dawn of Virtue" was
also taken down...

How do you see the scene to begin developing a Fan fiction Ultima game???

--
SZDev - Slash
Slashing, the Outcast Dragon of the -={UDIC}=-

SZDev - Slash wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have been a bit away from the scene, developing the engine needed to
> develop (amongst other things) a Ultima related game I have been planned a
> bit ago.
>
> I keep reloading the reconstruction website from time to time, finding the
> same always.... whatever, I was sad to see that "The dawn of Virtue" was
> also taken down...
>
> How do you see the scene to begin developing a Fan fiction Ultima game???

I think that most of the projects which have tried to do that have
been kicked over by EA.

Probably the best bet is either making some kind of 'mod to U7
(or any of the other well-understood games) or creating an Ultima
style game. A spoof is something I've always liked the idea of,
and my own game does dig at Ultima 6 in many ways (a sticker album
containing the spells, for example).

I've always loved the character generation system in U6, and I feel
that has a lot of potential. (See also my gypsy 'mod for U6).

Something like:

"A wealthy merchant owes your friend some gold, now long overdue.
You see that same merchant drop a bag of gold. Do you:

A) Honestly return the purse intact
B) Justly take a portion of the gold first
C) Slimily pretend you never saw it
D) Evilly take the entire purse
E) Wickedly run the ah heck through and take the lot"

...although this would make a much more complex state machine ;)

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org