Agent_J

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
If i bought PC133 SDRAM for my mobo which based on the Intel 440LX which supports PC66 SDRAM, would the PC133 SDRAM still work on it, but at a lower speed (66)?

edit: oops, i read the FAQ and it looks like SDRAM is backwards compatible right?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Agent_J on 12/26/03 03:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Yes. The JEDEC SDR-SDRAM standards are backwards compatible. You can stick a PC133 module in a 440LX board butit would only run at PC66 speeds.

:smile:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=500#500" target="_new">Are you going to East Coast LAN? I am!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SDRAM is backwards compatable, but the chances of you finding low density PC133 by accident are slim. LX/BX/TX support a memory limit of 16MB/chip, so that the max allowed is 256MB/module requiring 16-chips to make it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, that's an 8 chip product, would be read at 1/2 size. If you want PC133 for a BX/LX/ZX/EX/TX chipset, go to www.crucial.com and buy some for an Abit BE6-2.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Agent_J

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
thanks crashman, i see 2 types of PC133 SDRAM for the same prices, but with 1 difference in specs, one has "CL=3" and the other one has "CL=2", what does that mean and which one is betteer?

edit: looks like CL=2 is better

Agent_J

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
SDRAM is backwards compatable, but the chances of you finding low density PC133 by accident are slim. LX/BX/TX support a memory limit of 16MB/chip, so that the max allowed is 256MB/module requiring 16-chips to make it.

and ultra memory:

Nope, that's an 8 chip product, would be read at 1/2 size. If you want PC133 for a BX/LX/ZX/EX/TX chipset, go to www.crucial.com and buy some for an Abit BE6-2.

what's the difference between an 8 chip and 16 chip RAM and how can one tell the difference?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CL2 is better. But the old RAM might be CL3. You can mix these as long as you put the CL3 RAM in the first slot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I know I posted a response, I wonder where it went?

I know that memory from seeing it in a store. That's why I know it's 8 chip.

Since BX/LX/etc can only see 16MB/chip, it would read an 8 chip 256MB module as a 128MB module.

Higher density RAM is cheaper to produce, hence the compatable stuff is harder to find. That's why I suggest Crucial.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Usually. Most boards will use a module fine at 1/2 size, but some won't.

Again I recommend you simply buy memory for a BX chipset from Crucial, to be sure you're getting memory of low enough density that the entire module can be read.

You could try getting a 512MB module from Ultra and see if it's read as 256MB, but why risk that it isn't?

TRENDING THREADS