Has anyone used the software "deep freeze"?

I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
does anybody have any other suggestions?
10 answers Last reply
More about software deep freeze

    I have heard of this type of program used in learning/technical facilities
    where students are constanly changing & deleting files etc. Everytime the
    computer would reboot it would revert back to preset state.

    Look forward to some info on it.

    http://www.faronics.com/index.asp

    scooters wrote:
    >> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
    >> renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I
    >> am not looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses,
    >> spyware, and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of
    >> a program called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore
    >> point and then take the computer back to that restore point every
    >> time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and
    >> everything else is set back to that restore point. Has anyone out
    >> there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
    >> does anybody have any other suggestions?

    I use a system often at a library - the machines there somehow boot off some
    image which restores them to "pristine" condition each time they boot. So,
    while I've never heard of "Deep freeze" except as a meat keeper, I'm sure
    you will be getting responses that point you to software systems that can
    achieve what you want.

    The website for Deep Freeze describes a system that is similar to the one
    that I encounter at the library I use. Seems like a very good idea for
    organizations that want to make computers available but want to be capable
    of eliminating workstation problems with a simple reboot.

    Website for Deep Freeze

    Stephen wrote:

    > scooters wrote:
    >>> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
    >>> renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I
    >>> am not looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses,
    >>> spyware, and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of
    >>> a program called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore
    >>> point and then take the computer back to that restore point every
    >>> time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and
    >>> everything else is set back to that restore point. Has anyone out
    >>> there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
    >>> does anybody have any other suggestions?

    Yes, we've used it at our school and also my friend who is in charge of
    the tech at the school has used DeepFreeze for some of his business
    clients. He reports that it works very well.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi,

    This software is used in many educational institutions and computer labs. It is also used in my
    university across many labs and so far i have not heard any of the IT staff complaining about it.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
    > Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
    > to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
    > unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
    > Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
    > back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
    > unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
    > anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
    > does anybody have any other suggestions?

    Thanks for the input. I will be trying Deep Freeze next week. I'll make
    sure that I post again to let everybody know if the software is worth it or
    not.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This software is used in many educational institutions and computer labs. It is also used in my
    > university across many labs and so far i have not heard any of the IT staff complaining about it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
    > > Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
    > > to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
    > > unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
    > > Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
    > > back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
    > > unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
    > > anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
    > > does anybody have any other suggestions?

    All the best !

    --

    scooters wrote:
    > I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
    > Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
    > to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
    > unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
    > Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
    > back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
    > unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
    > anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
    > does anybody have any other suggestions?

    Yes, we ran a 30 day fully functional demo of it and it does exactly
    what it claims to do.

    Steve

    We use it on our computer club demo computer. It works great, and now any
    demo programs are gone with the next restart. But so are our updates. You
    will have to have someone take the time to "unfreeze" on a regular basis to
    update the antivirus program and the windows updates. Otherwise you will
    have constant reminders that your antivirus is out of date and the security
    updates missing.

    Richard in AZ wrote:

    > We use it on our computer club demo computer. It works great, and now any
    > demo programs are gone with the next restart. But so are our updates. You
    > will have to have someone take the time to "unfreeze" on a regular basis to
    > update the antivirus program and the windows updates. Otherwise you will
    > have constant reminders that your antivirus is out of date and the security
    > updates missing.

    RTFM.

    ~Steve

    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >
    >>scooters wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
    >>>renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not
    >>>looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware,
    >>>and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program
    >>>called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take
    >>>the computer back to that restore point every time that you reboot.
    >>>Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and everything else is set back to
    >>>that restore point. Has anyone out there used this software and does is
    >>>work as advertised? If not, does anybody have any other suggestions?
    >>
    >>Yes, we ran a 30 day fully functional demo of it and it does exactly what
    >>it claims to do.
    >>
    >>Steve

Microsoft Software Windows XP