Has anyone used the software "deep freeze"?

June 10, 2005 4:30:02 PM

I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
does anybody have any other suggestions?

More about : software deep freeze

June 10, 2005 7:43:05 PM

I have heard of this type of program used in learning/technical facilities
where students are constanly changing & deleting files etc. Everytime the
computer would reboot it would revert back to preset state.

Look forward to some info on it.

"scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
>renovations.
> Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking
> forward
> to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
> unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called
> Deep
> Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
> back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly
> viruses,
> unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point.
> Has
> anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If
> not,
> does anybody have any other suggestions?
June 10, 2005 7:43:56 PM

http://www.faronics.com/index.asp

"scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
>renovations.
> Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking
> forward
> to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
> unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called
> Deep
> Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
> back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly
> viruses,
> unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point.
> Has
> anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If
> not,
> does anybody have any other suggestions?
Related resources
June 10, 2005 7:47:31 PM

scooters wrote:
>> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
>> renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I
>> am not looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses,
>> spyware, and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of
>> a program called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore
>> point and then take the computer back to that restore point every
>> time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and
>> everything else is set back to that restore point. Has anyone out
>> there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
>> does anybody have any other suggestions?

I use a system often at a library - the machines there somehow boot off some
image which restores them to "pristine" condition each time they boot. So,
while I've never heard of "Deep freeze" except as a meat keeper, I'm sure
you will be getting responses that point you to software systems that can
achieve what you want.

The website for Deep Freeze describes a system that is similar to the one
that I encounter at the library I use. Seems like a very good idea for
organizations that want to make computers available but want to be capable
of eliminating workstation problems with a simple reboot.

Website for Deep Freeze
http://www.faronics.com/index.asp
June 10, 2005 7:47:32 PM

Stephen wrote:

> scooters wrote:
>>> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
>>> renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I
>>> am not looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses,
>>> spyware, and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of
>>> a program called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore
>>> point and then take the computer back to that restore point every
>>> time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and
>>> everything else is set back to that restore point. Has anyone out
>>> there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
>>> does anybody have any other suggestions?

Yes, we've used it at our school and also my friend who is in charge of
the tech at the school has used DeepFreeze for some of his business
clients. He reports that it works very well.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi,

This software is used in many educational institutions and computer labs. It is also used in my
university across many labs and so far i have not heard any of the IT staff complaining about it.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
> Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
> to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
> unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
> Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
> back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
> unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
> anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
> does anybody have any other suggestions?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:53:38 PM

Thanks for the input. I will be trying Deep Freeze next week. I'll make
sure that I post again to let everybody know if the software is worth it or
not.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This software is used in many educational institutions and computer labs. It is also used in my
> university across many labs and so far i have not heard any of the IT staff complaining about it.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
> > Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
> > to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
> > unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
> > Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
> > back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
> > unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
> > anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
> > does anybody have any other suggestions?

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:24:53 PM

All the best !

--

> Thanks for the input. I will be trying Deep Freeze next week. I'll make
> sure that I post again to let everybody know if the software is worth it or
> not.
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This software is used in many educational institutions and computer labs. It is also used in my
>> university across many labs and so far i have not heard any of the IT staff complaining about it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "scooters" <scooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
>> > Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
>> > to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
>> > unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
>> > Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
>> > back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
>> > unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
>> > anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
>> > does anybody have any other suggestions?

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:53:50 PM

scooters wrote:
> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of renovations.
> Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not looking forward
> to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware, and
> unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program called Deep
> Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take the computer
> back to that restore point every time that you reboot. Supposedly viruses,
> unwanted programs and everything else is set back to that restore point. Has
> anyone out there used this software and does is work as advertised? If not,
> does anybody have any other suggestions?

Yes, we ran a 30 day fully functional demo of it and it does exactly
what it claims to do.

Steve
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:16:28 PM

We use it on our computer club demo computer. It works great, and now any
demo programs are gone with the next restart. But so are our updates. You
will have to have someone take the time to "unfreeze" on a regular basis to
update the antivirus program and the windows updates. Otherwise you will
have constant reminders that your antivirus is out of date and the security
updates missing.

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
> scooters wrote:
>> I am an IT manager for a small hotel and we are in the middle of
>> renovations. Part of the renovations will be a business center. I am not
>> looking forward to trying to keep up with all of the viruses, spyware,
>> and unwanted/unlicensed software installs. I have heard of a program
>> called Deep Freeze that supposedly will set a restore point and then take
>> the computer back to that restore point every time that you reboot.
>> Supposedly viruses, unwanted programs and everything else is set back to
>> that restore point. Has anyone out there used this software and does is
>> work as advertised? If not, does anybody have any other suggestions?
>
> Yes, we ran a 30 day fully functional demo of it and it does exactly what
> it claims to do.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:40:13 AM

Richard in AZ wrote:

> We use it on our computer club demo computer. It works great, and now any
> demo programs are gone with the next restart. But so are our updates. You
> will have to have someone take the time to "unfreeze" on a regular basis to
> update the antivirus program and the windows updates. Otherwise you will
> have constant reminders that your antivirus is out of date and the security
> updates missing.

RTFM.

~Steve

!