No Sound After Windows Update

June 10, 2005 5:07:06 PM

Hi There

I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?

I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have a
sound card update.

I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it and
then restarted the PC as per the instructions.

Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question mark
next to it and also when I try to select the details via the control panel,
it states I don't have a sound card installed.

If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.

Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix this?

Thank you
Jason :o )

More about : sound windows update

June 10, 2005 5:33:32 PM

Jason_H18 wrote:

> Hi There
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
>
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I
> have a sound card update.
>
> I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it
> and then restarted the PC as per the instructions.
>
> Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question
> mark next to it and also when I try to select the details via the
> control panel, it states I don't have a sound card installed.
>
> If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix
> this?

Hi, Jason. This is the reason why it is never a good idea to install
drivers from Windows Update. Set your Automatic Updates to always
notify you before installing updates. Then always choose the "Custom"
installation instead of the "Express". This will give you the ability
to see what the updates are and to deselect any that are for drivers.
Unless you are a gamer trying to squeeze every last frame-rate out of
your video card or are having problems with a device, the best policy
with updating drivers is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And if you
*do* need to update a driver, get it from either the device mftr.'s
website or if you have an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) from the
OEM's website for your specific model machine.

Of course you want to install the security updates from Windows Update;
just not the drivers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Jason_H18 wrote:
> Hi There
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
>
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I
> have a sound card update.
>
> I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it
> and then restarted the PC as per the instructions.
>
> Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question
> mark next to it and also when I try to select the details via the
> control panel, it states I don't have a sound card installed.
>
> If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix
> this?
>
> Thank you
> Jason :o )

Do not download driver updates from Windows Update, unless you like
installing drivers that are at best reduced in functionality, and at
worst, will trash you hardware setup.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Experienced users will *never* install driver updates offered at Windows
Update.

You can go to Windows Update > select Custom Install > select "Hide this
update" for this driver.

You can configure Automatic Updates to (1) automatically download updates
but not install them or (2) just notify you of available updates, allowing
you to select ones to download and install.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Jason_H18 wrote:
> Hi There
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
>
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have
> a sound card update.
>
> I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it and
> then restarted the PC as per the instructions.
>
> Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question mark
> next to it and also when I try to select the details via the control
> panel, it states I don't have a sound card installed.
>
> If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix this?
>
> Thank you
> Jason :o )
June 10, 2005 8:39:48 PM

Jason_H18 wrote:

> Hi There
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
>
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have a
> sound card update.
>
> I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it and
> then restarted the PC as per the instructions.
>
> Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question mark
> next to it and also when I try to select the details via the control panel,
> it states I don't have a sound card installed.
>
> If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix this?
>
> Thank you
> Jason :o )

Use the Roll Back Driver feature from device manager. Right click My
Computer | Manage | Device Manager. Found the audio device and double
click it. On the Driver tab use Roll back driver.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jason, go here and download and install the C-Media drivers. If you can
remove the update drivers from MS> Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs
"Jason_H18" <JasonH18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
>
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have
> sound card update.
>
> I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it and
> then restarted the PC as per the instructions.
>
> Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question mark
> next to it and also when I try to select the details via the control
> panel,
> it states I don't have a sound card installed.
>
> If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix this?
>
> Thank you
> Jason :o )
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:32:07 AM

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb25fSDE4?= wrote:

> I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?
> I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have a
> sound card update.

Why did you try to fix what wasn't broken?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!