2 methods for comparing interconnects, are they ok ?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 21, 2005 10:29:05 PM

The following methods would allow for instantaneous comparison of two
interconnects. However, I would like to know whether or not these
methods are technically ok.

1. CD player is connected to preamp with right channel via interconnect
X to input A, left channel via interconnect Y to input B. Preamp is set
to mono, comparison is done by switching between inputs A and B.

2. CD player is connected to preamp at input A with interconnect X. The
record output of the preamp is connected back to preamp at input B via
interconnect Y. Comparison is done by looking if the insertion of
interconnect B has an affect.

TIA

Klaus
January 22, 2005 12:39:17 AM

klausrampelmann@hotmail.com wrote:

> The following methods would allow for instantaneous comparison of two
> interconnects. However, I would like to know whether or not these
> methods are technically ok.
>
> 1. CD player is connected to preamp with right channel via interconnect
> X to input A, left channel via interconnect Y to input B. Preamp is set
> to mono, comparison is done by switching between inputs A and B.

Not a good idea, since the L/R signals from the CD player are not
identical. Even if the source recording is in mono, there may still be
channel imbalances coming out of the CD playerr. And also, if you read
reviews of interconnects, a lot of the magic is in imaging, which is
totally lost if you only listen to one channel.

> 2. CD player is connected to preamp at input A with interconnect X. The
> record output of the preamp is connected back to preamp at input B via
> interconnect Y. Comparison is done by looking if the insertion of
> interconnect B has an affect.

That assumes that there is no degradation or volume changes in the
record out path.

Here is a suggestion. Simply run the two sets of interconnects in
parallel from the CD player to inputs A and B on your preamp, then
switch preamp inputs to compare the sound. You can buy Y-adapters from
the usual suspects like Radio Shack. If you think you can identify the
interconnects, swap the A/B connections and listen again. Just in case
there are different gains from the two inputs.

Some method of hiding the identities of the interconnects may be necessary.