Ultima 9: Crash in Covetous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I am having a problem with Ultima 9 crashing on the third level down
in Covetous. I crash every single time that I enter the room that is
to the north where the railroad tracks end. I have read that this is
the area where you find Skully's grave and get the key to go to the
fourth level. I have installed patch version 1.18 which is the
latest version as far as I'm aware. I've searched for other posts
about this particular crash and the only thing I've found is people
talking about a crash related to the earthquake. But that is not my
problem because an earthquake is not occurring when I crash. Does
anyone have any ideas about the cause of the crash or what I could do?
If not, does anyone have a cheat code that I could use to obtain the
key to the elevator?

Eric

Jonathan

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Try to disable all your background program except the important one
(including your anti-virus) when you play that game

Jonathan

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Try to play without your anti-virus on and without some background program
f46b5670.0411060709.49fe96e8@posting.google.com...

On 6 Nov 2004 07:09:57 -0800, ekrynicki@hotmail.com (Eric Krynicki) wrote:

>I am having a problem with Ultima 9 crashing on the third level down
>in Covetous. I crash every single time that I enter the room that is
>to the north where the railroad tracks end. I have read that this is
>the area where you find Skully's grave and get the key to go to the
>fourth level. I have installed patch version 1.18 which is the
>latest version as far as I'm aware. I've searched for other posts
>about this particular crash and the only thing I've found is people
>talking about a crash related to the earthquake. But that is not my
>problem because an earthquake is not occurring when I crash. Does
>anyone have any ideas about the cause of the crash or what I could do?
> If not, does anyone have a cheat code that I could use to obtain the
>key to the elevator?
>
>Eric

There is actually a slightly newer patch but I don't think it addresses
your problem. Did you try moving all the settings to the lowest levels
until you were past that part of the game?

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/zips/u9ver119.zip

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <f46b5670.0411060709.49fe96e8@posting.google.com>, Eric Krynicki
wrote:
> I am having a problem with Ultima 9 crashing on the third level down
> in Covetous. I crash every single time that I enter the room that is
> to the north where the railroad tracks end. I have read that this is
> the area where you find Skully's grave and get the key to go to the
> fourth level. I have installed patch version 1.18 which is the
> latest version as far as I'm aware. I've searched for other posts
> about this particular crash and the only thing I've found is people
> talking about a crash related to the earthquake. But that is not my
> problem because an earthquake is not occurring when I crash. Does
> anyone have any ideas about the cause of the crash or what I could do?
> If not, does anyone have a cheat code that I could use to obtain the
> key to the elevator?

I once had a similar problem, albeit at a certain spot behind Lord
British's castle rather than in Covetous. Restarting from an earlier
savegame solved the problem. Have you tried doing this?

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Tristan Miller <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote in message news:<1314369.vR7KIh7nub@ID-187157.News.Individual.NET>...
> Greetings.
>
> In article <f46b5670.0411060709.49fe96e8@posting.google.com>, Eric Krynicki
> wrote:
> > I am having a problem with Ultima 9 crashing on the third level down
> > in Covetous. I crash every single time that I enter the room that is
> > to the north where the railroad tracks end. I have read that this is
> > the area where you find Skully's grave and get the key to go to the
> > fourth level. I have installed patch version 1.18 which is the
> > latest version as far as I'm aware. I've searched for other posts
> > about this particular crash and the only thing I've found is people
> > talking about a crash related to the earthquake. But that is not my
> > problem because an earthquake is not occurring when I crash. Does
> > anyone have any ideas about the cause of the crash or what I could do?
> > If not, does anyone have a cheat code that I could use to obtain the
> > key to the elevator?
>
> I once had a similar problem, albeit at a certain spot behind Lord
> British's castle rather than in Covetous. Restarting from an earlier
> savegame solved the problem. Have you tried doing this?
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

Thanks for the suggestion. Restoring from a previous saved game
before I entered the mine did the trick.