Yamaha HTR-5230

fivestarsoul182

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
Alright, I decided on this... instead of going with the Logitech Z-5300e, I'm going to buy a home theater, and hook THAT up to my computer. This is really important, I don't want to spend a ton of money and then find out it won't work, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have the Audigy 2ZS Pro Platinum, with the front drive. That has an optical IN, and optical OUT.
I'm planning on getting the Yamaha HTR-5230 reciever. That has an optical IN. I want to hook the reciever up to the sound card via an optical cable. What I'm worried about, is will my sound card still recognize this connection as being a 5.1? (Which is what the HTR-5230s are). I know the optical connection will be a digital one, but for anyone who has the software, the "THX Setup Console" doesn't show anything about an optical connection being alright to use.

Now maybe I'm making this more complicated than it has to be. I notice now, that the HTR-5230s are Dolby (Digital/Pro Logic). Will this mean that the PC will not... utilize the Dolby?

Sorry for this post being so long, I just want to be sure before I make a decision. Thanks in advance.

aistewart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
I have wired a yam htr 5450 to optical out and its fine, the optical out is 5:1 coded so the htr processes the signal and box settings allow it to be adjusted through all the settings i.e stereo 5ch stereo etc. Dolby is simply a set of electronic filters inside the htr system as is DTS.
Go ahead get reasonably good speakers and it will sound great