Where is grayscale?

This seems silly, but I want to change a colored picture/image to grayscale, but I cannot seem to find the darned menu item that lets me do it.

I downloaded Search Commands, but that's useless. The suggestions don't work because I don't have the picture menu it talks about, and when I use the demo to show where 2003 commands are on Windows 7, I don't have what is suggested. All I know is that they renamed it "gray shade".

I have the English version of 7 (32-bit) on a new Fujitsu computer.

Microsoft is just too heavy and complicated. I hate this new toolbar at the top. It's not intuitive and it lacks a lot of the basic items that should be there by default (like Open, Save as, Save, and a handful more). I'm finding that I have to put them there all by myself.
10 answers Last reply
More about where grayscale
  1. What program are you trying to use to grayscale your picture/image?
  2. Sorry about that. I guess I never mentioned more than "2003". I have documents in Word with embedded images and Excel graphs. Some are from 2003 versions of Word and Excel, while others are from 2007 versions.
  3. 1. As for the Toolbar in Words, go to View > Toolbars.
    Put a check make next to the tools you want to include.

    2. Grayscale is referencing a function of your Printer assuming your printer has that capability. On my system, in Word, when I click on File > Print, I can click on a Properties bottom. On the Color tab, under Color Options, there is a checkbox for Print in Grayscale.

    3. You can grab a toolbox and reposition it to the bottom to the Word window.
  4. Gandalf,
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, none of that seems to help.

    1. I have Windows 7. Going to View does not show any toolbars option. I am new to Windows 7 and Word 2007, so I don't know where to go for this.

    2. I am not concerned with printing myself. The documents I deal with come from others who want to include their graphs and figures in the documents they have written. I am the copyeditor for the journal where they will be published. Ideally, they would heed the instructions telling them NOT to send colored images, but they don't listen. Since they are often from other countries, it is not always easy to contact them or make them listen. So, I have to contact them sometimes to tell them to make the changes. In other cases, I think I could change the figures myself but didn't know where grayscale was until yesterday.

    3. I don't know where this toolbox is.
  5. I use Windows 7, but I have Word 2003, not 2007. I did a 2007 search for "tools" and came up with this...

    Maybe there is something there to help you. It appears 2007 doesn't use the term toolbox.

    Do you have the 2003 version of Word or do you use the Word 2007 version on the files created in Word 2003?
  6. I have 2007 version of Word, although I just got it less than a month ago and had previously used only the 2003 version. I will probably use the 2007 version from here on for any version document that comes my way (until the NEXT upgrade, anyway!).
  7. In that case, you'll have to get help from a member with Word 2007, since there seems to be multiple differences between version 2003 and 2007.
  8. Hi,

    Just by the way, your OS is a moot point in this discussion since Office 2007 has nothing to do with Windows 7. Just my two cents.

    To change a picture to grayscale in Office Word 2007:

    1) Select the image.
    2) You will notice three new tabs at the top of the ribbon: Design, Layout, and Format. These ONLY appear when you actually have the picture selected.
    3) Click on Format, and on the far left of the ribbon in the "Adjust" box you will see a button that says 'Recolor'.
    4) Click on this and select Grayscale.

    Hope this helps.
  9. grayscale is in page layout tab
    just to the right of the Aa in the themes box on the left side.
  10. Thank you, pat. That looks like an alternate way to find grayscale. I will try to remember that, too.

    Sadly, the document I was given to edit had some images that could not be altered with grayscale using either of the approaches just described (Koos, pat). I don't know why. Let's just consider this problem solved for now. I have 2 ways to use grayscale as long as the image I've been given allows it.

    Thanks everyone.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7