Volume Control

Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until this
morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:

Volume Control
There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go
to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add
Hardware.
The program will now close.

Help will be appreciated.

Running XP Pro, SP2.

Thank you very much!

Nels
6 answers Last reply
More about volume control

    Nels Hansen wrote:

    > Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    > this
    > morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >
    > Volume Control
    > There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer
    > devices, go to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and
    > then click Add Hardware.
    > The program will now close.
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Running XP Pro, SP2.
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Nels

    Try reinstalling the drivers for your sound card.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke:

    Thank you for your help.

    I have looked but do not really know where to find the drivers. If it
    helps, this is a Dell GX110. Belarc Adviser indicates it has Creative
    AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM), listed under Multimedia.

    Further help will be appreciated.

    Nels

    > Nels Hansen wrote:
    >

    >> Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    >> this
    >> morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >>
    >> Volume Control
    >> There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer
    >> devices, go to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and
    >> then click Add Hardware.
    >> The program will now close.
    >>
    >> Help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro, SP2.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much!
    >>
    >> Nels
    >
    > Try reinstalling the drivers for your sound card.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Restore Volume/Net Icon to Notification (Line 320, Left)
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Nels Hansen wrote:
    > Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    > this morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >
    > Volume Control
    > There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go
    > to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add
    > Hardware.
    > The program will now close.
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Running XP Pro, SP2.
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Nels

    PA Bear:

    Thanks for your responce.

    Tried Kelly's tweak but it had no effect (that I can tell).

    Will appreciate further assistance.

    Nels

    > Restore Volume/Net Icon to Notification (Line 320, Left)
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Nels Hansen wrote:
    >> Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    >> this morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >>
    >> Volume Control
    >> There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices,
    >> go
    >> to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add
    >> Hardware.
    >> The program will now close.
    >>
    >> Help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro, SP2.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much!
    >>
    >> Nels

    PA Bear and Malke:

    Just found solution, and it works!!!

    Another thread "volume display" from Stephen said:

    If Control Panel in Classic View:
    Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > check the "Place volume
    icon in the taskbar" checkbox.

    And, that did it.

    Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

    Nels

    > Restore Volume/Net Icon to Notification (Line 320, Left)
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Nels Hansen wrote:
    >> Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    >> this morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >>
    >> Volume Control
    >> There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices,
    >> go
    >> to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add
    >> Hardware.
    >> The program will now close.
    >>
    >> Help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Running XP Pro, SP2.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much!
    >>
    >> Nels

    Nels, if you have onboard sound ( chip on the Motherboard ) go into the
    Bios and make sure it's enabled. If you have a
    PCI Slot Sound Card then remove the Card and reinsert. Make sure it's
    secure. I would restart without the Card inserted
    and then shutdown and reinsert the card and startup. Let XP reinstall it.
    "Nels Hansen" <nmhansen@bendnet.delete.com> wrote in message

    > Beginning this morning, I have lost Volume Control. Have had it until
    > this morning. When trying to implement it I get the following message:
    >
    > Volume Control
    > There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go
    > to Control Panel, clic Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add
    > Hardware.
    > The program will now close.
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Running XP Pro, SP2.