Sign in with
Your question

I am sick and tired of this.

Last response: in General Connectivity
December 25, 2007 12:48:22 AM

Everyone I know, or at least every American I know, keeps going on about how great the iPhone is, how cool it is that it's a touchscreen when in fact pretty much any newer N series Nokia blows it out of the water. The features on the iPhone are nothing compared to the features on the N95. For $150 more than the iPhone, you get FM radio, GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, infrared and most importantly a 5 MP camera. Even a smaller camera on the front for video calling. Beside it being a quad band phone, it's also not tied to AT&T, the most expensive carrier in America. Nokia should advertise more in America. :kaola: 

More about : sick tired

January 23, 2008 10:45:45 PM

I prefer the Nokia too, but an iMate or Toshiba900 would be even better.

PS, the iPhone is equally overpriced, and doesn't have as many features as other options. the best thing about the iPhone is it's storage capacity and with SD cards reaching 16GB, even that advantage is negated if you are willing to pay the price (but even 4GB is $50) so the low end advanatage isn't that pricey.
February 18, 2008 8:53:01 PM

the iphone is a next gen touchscreen with last gen hardware/software, when you compare it to other phones in its price range its a very weak competitor,

in england the iphone is £269 whereas the Nokia N95(silver) is £249..

ok lets compare,

N95

the N95 is £20 cheaper
the N95 has a better camera with flash (5MP)
front camera for video calling
Built in GPS, WiFi, media centre, 2.8" screen
plays, MP3, AAC, M4A and WMA audio
FM Radio
N-Gage
Edge
3G
Video Out( i love this on my N95 8GB, i got to watch Spiderman 3 on my tv)
plays MP4, DivX, Xvid, avi
Java support

ok now the Iphone,

3.5" screen (yes its bigger and touch screen)
2 megapixel (whats this we went back in time 2years)
Edge and Wifi(same as N95)
£20 more expensive
4 0r 8Gb of memory thats more than the N95(silver)
IT DOESNT SUPPORT 3G
doesnt have Java support
doesnt have a flash
its apple so youll need that piece of crap itunes

i couldnt find the specs for what codecs the iphone would play back, but im guessing it goes through some codec they have on itunes and then it will only play that codec, thats a massive blow for anyone like me.

links
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/index.html#photos
http://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/specification/Nokia/N95
http://www.mobilegazette.com/apple-iphone-07x01x09.htm
http://www.mobilegazette.com/nokia-n95-8gb-07x08x29.htm ( i know it says 8Gb but it refers back the original N95 in the article)
http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphonekeyfeatures (used o2 for price comparison)

and i put that apple iphone link in because this made me laugh:
"With a 2-megapixel camera and an advanced photo management application, iphone goes beyond anything on a phone today"

a K800i has a better camera than the piece of crap iphone ffs, apple truly shot themselves in the foot, while spouting marketing rubish aimed at the ppl that live with there head under a rock.

one last thing, if your looking for phones now and its between a nokia and the iphone get the nokia.

other phones to consider would be

http://www.mobilegazette.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x1-08...
http://www.mobilegazette.com/nokia-n96-08x02x11.htm

p.s

i forgot to say, if you accidently break the iphone screen you will render it useless cause thats also the control scheme, where as if you did the same with the nokia (or any non touch screen only phone) you could still phone and send txt msgs.
Related resources
March 18, 2008 7:30:31 PM

Iphone has 8 or 16 gig in the US. I do wish it had 3g and GPS, but I generally know where I am so it gets close enough. 3g doesn't do so well in the country for power so again I can't complain.

How are the developers tools?

How easy is the user interface?

How good are the buttons for large hands?

How good is the resolution?

Believe me features are nice, but does it do what I want it to do and how easily does it do it for me? If I feel I have to fight my phone I won't buy it.
March 18, 2008 8:13:36 PM

Rememember when discussing this the 16GB hadn't been released yet, it's new.

As for software features, the iPhone can be great, but sucks right now unless hacked.

An example is the HP 12C app for my iPod touch is enough to make it worth while, my all-time favourite calculator, and now I have it the 11C, 15C and 16C all in onee spot. That's an app Apple is unlikely to ever add on their own. Not sure about the licensing issues involved, but since HP still sells the 12C and 12P (no more 11-16C) I think they might want close to their $100 MSRP for the app, at least half price.
March 19, 2008 11:05:57 AM

It is the user interface that helps sell the iPhone as much as the features. Of all of the phones out there what would you recommend for your parents or possibly grandparents.

Yeah, I would like to make my own ringtones rather than buying them from apple. I would like it to play flash. Overall though having bought an iPhone it does what I expect it to do and it does it well.
March 19, 2008 7:42:19 PM

omenowl said:
It is the user interface that helps sell the iPhone as much as the features. Of all of the phones out there what would you recommend for your parents or possibly grandparents.

Yeah, I would like to make my own ringtones rather than buying them from apple. I would like it to play flash. Overall though having bought an iPhone it does what I expect it to do and it does it well.

if i was giving a phone to my grandparents, it would be something alot more simple like a 6230, or something even older...

whats it meant to do? phone and text? all phones do that well, the iphone is rubbish at everything else except rotating the interface, and that can be done with rotatemev2 on the nokia.

EDIT

spelling mistake
March 19, 2008 8:58:26 PM

I agree with Flakes, if I were getting something for my parents or grandparents it would be something simple, robust and with great battery life and reception, none of which I associate with a smartphone from any vendor (except maybe the ruggerized Toshiba and HPs [which cost a fortune]).
March 20, 2008 10:32:57 PM

Well the iPhone has a better keypad equivalent. It has a more intuitive interface and longer talk time by nearly 65% (8.25 hours vs. 5 hours). There is a 300 dollar price difference (700 dollars vs. iPhones 400). Mp3 player is superior in the iPhone. The iPhone has a superior screen and readability. The screen size is over 30% larger in the iPhone.

It isn't taking away from the N95, but to simply dismiss the iPhone as a piece of crap is foolish. You buy what you like. I was someone who thought the iPhone was overrated, but after using my friends iPhone for a few hours I was hooked. Compared to the other smart phones I have dealt with the iPhone has a superior user interface and larger screen (I haven't seen all of the phones out there). This is what sold me on the iPhone.

So if you don't like the iPhone is it because you have never used it and are giving an unsubstantiated opinion about how bad it is, or is it because you have tried this and other smart phones and you found for your needs these phones were superior?

By the way those stats are from consumer reports.
March 22, 2008 4:58:23 PM

omenowl said:

It isn't taking away from the N95, but to simply dismiss the iPhone as a piece of crap is foolish. You buy what you like. I was someone who thought the iPhone was overrated, but after using my friends iPhone for a few hours I was hooked. Compared to the other smart phones I have dealt with the iPhone has a superior user interface and larger screen (I haven't seen all of the phones out there). This is what sold me on the iPhone.

It's screen is smaller in size and resolution than many others out there and the interface is a personal thing, I don't like the iPhone/iPod's keypad versus actual keypads or a stylus based input, the iPhone cannot use the precision of a traditional stylus which is a big drawback for any precise use on the 640x480 screen.

Quote:
So if you don't like the iPhone is it because you have never used it and are giving an unsubstantiated opinion about how bad it is, or is it because you have tried this and other smart phones and you found for your needs these phones were superior?

To me it's not about like/not like, it's about better options out there for somethings, and those that even you mention are not limited to the iPhone. Working for the phone company I get a ton of phone in mine and my co-workers hands, and have hacked them for a few friends after they saw my hacked iPhone and all it's apps. I also have 2 former co-workers who work as product reps for the province for 2 major suppliers and we discuss new phones all the time, so I consider myself speaking from a position of awareness and first hand use not ignorance. My view of the iPhone, it's a better iPod than phone, and most of the things people think are 'revolutionary' were available on phones prior to the iPhone.

None are 'perfect' and really IMO this A vs B discussion is like so many others in tech, and there is no right answer it's a question of preference, which is why while I have access to a ton of phone options I go with my personal fav, a very old Kyocera 7135 which does what I want and while I still find it lacking in some areas, it does everything I want in a phone better than all the rest. And that's just it, accelerometers and music/video playback aren't important to me, however a replaceable battery is so for now the iPhone will never be my phone, but the iPod may remain my second PDA / media player.
April 23, 2008 5:42:43 AM

When I purchased my cellphone I spent a good few weeks researching before hand and I found upper Nokias, Motorlas and most HTC phones kick the iPhone around for fun. I wound up with a HTC TyTN 2 Pro, great battery life (6 hours + heavy use), excellent reception (with 3G and HSDPA) and the touch screen with TouchFLO and the slide out keyboard make it a far more usable phone than the iPhone. Another upside is the fact that MS office integration comes standard not as an after thought like the iPhone. Media playback is quite good.
May 14, 2008 6:12:32 PM

The iPhone release was pretty much overrated and a lot of the people I know were quite disappointed. I heard that Apple will be adding 3G to the iPhone’s features soon. But I’d still pick a Sony Ericsson or a Nokia any day and stick to my iPod.
June 13, 2008 9:03:47 AM

Do you know what I think?

The N95 is NO GOOD FOR ANYTHING ELSE BUT CALLING AND TEXTING. Because it is a phone.

The iPhone may not be a master of any particular feature, (except web browsing, and a music player) but it does everything more than acceptably well, and integrates it nicely.

Just jailbreak the goddamn iPhone.

Then shut up.
June 27, 2008 3:08:49 PM

Well I've used both the iPhone and the Instinct extensively. I like the Instinct better after getting used to it and adjusting all the different settings. The iPhone is fun, but all touch screen phones are fun for the same reason.
Funny how the iphone owners are sooooo upset about any MAC'n Bash'n they get. They were smug then turned red in the face the first time anybody said the product was actually inferior. I think they expected that the iPhone was not going to be copied, leaving them ELITISTS then everyone had a touch screen and THEY were just the dummies that paid the most...
I'd feel stupid for paying $400+ for a novelty that you can't even replace the battery on. Then you need a computer to recharge it... weak. Apple did this on purpose to get the $$$ fast, it worked too. Always does for them.

!