Broadband Powerline Impact on Audio??

Last response: in Home Audio
January 22, 2005 8:36:43 PM

In the February issue of Stereophile, I read a distressing article by
Jim Austin (page 19) regarding the FCC's support of Broadband Over
Powerline (BPL). It seems that the application of broadband
transmissions to the powerline structure of our communities and homes
will most likely impact our high-end audio equipment by introducing
harmful, high-level, high frequency noise into the AC supply. What,
if anything, is the audiophile community doing about this issue? Is
there any action I can take? Is it a real threat to us audiophiles?
Is there any data available? Also, are the power conditioning
companies preparing for this potential onslaught? I'd appreciate any
commentary or sources for more information. I have read extensively
on the internet regarding the concept, but I haven't found much
available from the audiophile perspective. Thanks for your responses.
Marty Troum
mtroum@adelphia.net
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:23:38 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, that stuff is easily filtered out. At
worse, people will have to buy new power condtioners that filter it
out.
January 26, 2005 3:30:18 AM

Marty Troum wrote:
> In the February issue of Stereophile, I read a distressing article by
> Jim Austin (page 19) regarding the FCC's support of Broadband Over
> Powerline (BPL). It seems that the application of broadband
> transmissions to the powerline structure of our communities and homes
> will most likely impact our high-end audio equipment by introducing
> harmful, high-level, high frequency noise into the AC supply. What,
> if anything, is the audiophile community doing about this issue? Is
> there any action I can take? Is it a real threat to us audiophiles?
> Is there any data available? Also, are the power conditioning
> companies preparing for this potential onslaught? I'd appreciate any
> commentary or sources for more information. I have read extensively
> on the internet regarding the concept, but I haven't found much
> available from the audiophile perspective. Thanks for your responses.
> Marty Troum
> mtroum@adelphia.net

This is how the paranoia is spread amongst the Audiophools. A few more
articles, selected readers letters and Joe Phool runs into the shop of his
confidence and buys another "power conditioner". I can tell you, nothing the
FCC supports can be worse than your old fridge, or your computer power
supply. And we have learned to live with these too.
The high frequencies are already filtered out by the transformer and
capacitors and even if a little rest still rides on the speaker cable no
tweeter would be able to transmit it into air, so what?
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy