cannot copy file: access is denied

This one is a bit of a weird one. I've got a file created by drive
image pro. It's just a regular file. There are no programs accessing
it, AFAIK.

Now if I try to copy, move or rename the file I get the same error:
cannot copy file whatever.pqi: access is denied.

Obviously I tried the usual, rebooting my box, etc. Any clue how I
could track down which executable is 'locking' this file?

TIA,

Steve.

It's a permissions issue. I use Drive Image 2002 from a DOS
Boot CD-R. The destination module on my workspace drive
doesn't have proper access rights. Usually, I have to Right
Click the .PQI, left click Properties, Security (TAB) and then
add my Username to the ACL granting myself full privileges.

<steve.anon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This one is a bit of a weird one. I've got a file created by drive
> image pro. It's just a regular file. There are no programs accessing
> it, AFAIK.
>
> Now if I try to copy, move or rename the file I get the same error:
> cannot copy file whatever.pqi: access is denied.
>
> Obviously I tried the usual, rebooting my box, etc. Any clue how I
> could track down which executable is 'locking' this file?
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve.

Right you are.

When you create a drive image while booted up into DOS, as is done with the
floppy set for Drive Image 2002, there are no permissions installed. The
file will appear locked until ownership is established within Windows XP.
This occurs "only" if the image file has been saved to a NTFS partition I
believe. I have never observed this occurrence when saving an image file to
a fat32 partition.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> It's a permissions issue. I use Drive Image 2002 from a DOS
> Boot CD-R. The destination module on my workspace drive
> doesn't have proper access rights. Usually, I have to Right
> Click the .PQI, left click Properties, Security (TAB) and then
> add my Username to the ACL granting myself full privileges.
>
> <steve.anon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This one is a bit of a weird one. I've got a file created by drive
>> image pro. It's just a regular file. There are no programs accessing
>> it, AFAIK.
>>
>> Now if I try to copy, move or rename the file I get the same error:
>> cannot copy file whatever.pqi: access is denied.
>>
>> Obviously I tried the usual, rebooting my box, etc. Any clue how I
>> could track down which executable is 'locking' this file?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Steve.

I think you guys are spot-on (it's an ntfs partition) but I'm unable
to get the permission back. If I look at the files property I have no
'permission' tabs. Is there a way to reset those manually?

Cheers,

Steve.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

steve.anon@gmail.com wrote:

> I think you guys are spot-on (it's an ntfs partition) but I'm unable
> to get the permission back. If I look at the files property I have no
> 'permission' tabs. Is there a way to reset those manually?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve.

If XP Pro turn off simple file sharing. Open explorer or my computer,
tools, folder options, Vew tab. Under advanced settings utic use simple
file sharing.

For XP Home you'll need to boot into safe mode and log on the
administrator account.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It work! Thank you so much to you all. And me who thought I knew
windows!

Steve.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

steve.anon@gmail.com wrote:

> It work! Thank you so much to you all. And me who thought I knew
> windows!
>
> Steve.

Great, glad it's resolved for you and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User