Outlook Express address book

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a new
lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express details to
the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD then copy it to
the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a read only file and I
cant do anything with it. If I try to open the file on the CD it shows
information from the .wab file on the new computer and not the CD! There
must be any easy way to import this file. Please can you help me?

--
Regards,
Ian Southall

    Ian Southall wrote:

    > I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a
    > new lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express
    > details to the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD
    > then copy it to the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a
    > read only file and I cant do anything with it. If I try to open the
    > file on the CD it shows information from the .wab file on the new
    > computer and not the CD! There must be any easy way to import this
    > file. Please can you help me?

    Since I haven't used OE in years, I don't have a direct answer for you
    but I can give you a link to a website that will tell you exactly how
    to do what you want, as well as everything else you ever wanted to know
    about OE:

    http://www.insideoe.com

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Copy the file from the CD to your hard drive and then import the wab file
    from OE.
    "Ian Southall" <mail@iansouthall.com> wrote in message
    >I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a new
    >lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express details
    >to the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD then copy it
    >to the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a read only file and
    >I cant do anything with it. If I try to open the file on the CD it shows
    >information from the .wab file on the new computer and not the CD! There
    >must be any easy way to import this file. Please can you help me?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Southall

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Copy the CD to any folder on your HDD and then you can remove the Read Only
    attribute.

    See:
    Backup & Restore:
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    "Ian Southall" <mail@iansouthall.com> wrote in message
    >I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a new
    >lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express details
    >to the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD then copy it
    >to the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a read only file and
    >I cant do anything with it. If I try to open the file on the CD it shows
    >information from the .wab file on the new computer and not the CD! There
    >must be any easy way to import this file. Please can you help me?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Southall

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then doing an import?

    "Ian Southall" <mail@iansouthall.com> wrote in message
    I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a new
    lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express details to
    the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD then copy it to
    the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a read only file and I
    cant do anything with it. If I try to open the file on the CD it shows
    information from the .wab file on the new computer and not the CD! There
    must be any easy way to import this file. Please can you help me?

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Southall
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Copy it to your hard drive, UNCHECK the Read Only option (so
    it is no longer read only). I've been bit by that before where a file
    copied off a cd is R/O (which makes sense), I forget that it was
    R/O and things don't work right - things that get stored in an ini
    file can't get written, but the silly ap does not tell you it has a problem,
    it just can not be changed (and remember it).

    mikey

    "Jimbo" <spamnot@spamnot.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried copying it to your hard drive and then doing an import?
    >
    > "Ian Southall" <mail@iansouthall.com> wrote in message
    > I currently use XP home edition on my PC and have recently purchased a new
    > lap top with XP pro on it. I am trying to copy my Outlook Express details
    > the new computer. I am trying to copy the.wab file on a CD then copy it to
    > the lap top file. The file on the CD is written as a read only file and I
    > cant do anything with it. If I try to open the file on the CD it shows
    > information from the .wab file on the new computer and not the CD! There
    > must be any easy way to import this file. Please can you help me?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ian Southall

Outlook Express CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP