BIOS flashing tool for win7

Mrjeshu

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hi,

I have a BIOS file i need to update my system with but the flash program i have doesnt seem to be compatible with windows 7.

Can anyone help?

Mrjeshu

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
My motherboard is a AsRock Conroe 1333-d667. The bios file is special. Its been directly emailed to me from AsRock. So i need a flash for Windows 7 64bit.

First, have you visited the ASRock website? Specifically the downloads page for that motherboard? If you haven't, do that before anything else. ASRock offers a "how-to" for BIOS flashing.

What files did ASRock send you? What file extensions do they have?

If they sent you .bin file or an .exe file, you can load it onto a floppy or thumb drive, boot into DOS (using a DOS boot disk), and then run the executable to flash the BIOS.

Mrjeshu

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
the file i was given was a .83 file. there is also an .iso but i dont have a floppy drive. I do have a flash drive and i copied the .iso onto it and booted to it but nothing happens when i do.

G

Ouch are you sure you want to flash your bios, sounds dangerous for you!!

You will need to burn ISO to disk, then boot from disk, good luck!

If you don't do it correctly it could leave your machine dead as a door nail requiring you to send it to Asrock for a new bios chip. Also, you will need to reconfigure bios settings, get this wrong and your system may constantly crash and Windows will become corrupt.

Get somebody who has more experience to do it for you.

You don't want to just copy the .iso file to a CD, you want to use your burning application to use the .iso file create an image. For example, I use Nero to burn CD's and DVD's and there is an option in the "Recorder" menu to Burn Image. When I choose this option it prompts me for an .iso, .cue, or .img file.

Two ways to do this 1) create an image using the .iso as explained above, or 2) flash the BIOS from the DOS prompt.

If you're going to flash the BIOS from a DOS prompt you will need the bios flash utility from ASRock. Please note that you will need a separate DOS boot disk/thumb drive/CD ROM. Here's what you are going to need to do, partially taken from the ASRock website.

1) Download the DOS version of current BIOS version available from the downloads page for your motherboard. This download will be a .zip file and contain two files; the specific BIOS version, and the ASRflash.exe. The file you want is the ASRflash.exe, you can disregard whatever BIOS version is in the .zip file.
2) Copy both the ASRflash.exe and the special version of the BIOS ASRock sent you to your thumb drive.
3) Boot into DOS with the DOS boot disk/thumb drive/CD ROM.
4) At the "A:\" prompt, type ASRFLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\ASRFLASH (your special BIOS file name here) <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
5) After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Flash ROM Update Completed - Pass", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
6) After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
7) In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.

Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

Hope this helps...good luck!