Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

When I right click on my pics and choose properties there are three
tabs general,OCR Settings and summary. Also in the window it names the
type of file and the option to open with. If I choose Microsoft Photo
Editor it names the type of file as Jpeg which is correct. If I change to
open with
Windows picture and fax viewer it renames it to OmniPage Image File.
What I can't understand is why OCR settings are even listed here, OCR,
OmniPage is for documents not images.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows picture viewer

    "ERK" wrote:

    > When I right click on my pics and choose properties there are three
    > tabs general,OCR Settings and summary. Also in the window it names the
    > type of file and the option to open with. If I choose Microsoft Photo
    > Editor it names the type of file as Jpeg which is correct. If I change to
    > open with
    > Windows picture and fax viewer it renames it to OmniPage Image File.
    > What I can't understand is why OCR settings are even listed here, OCR,
    > OmniPage is for documents not images.
    Since I haven't rec'd a reply for this I will provide more info which may be
    helpful. The problem occured after I installed software for a CanonScan 4200F
    scanner. I first tried to un-install and re-install the software, this did
    not fix the problem so I contacted Canon. They said the problem is a Windows
    issue. It seems that my system has OmniPage set as a default application for
    Windows picture and fax viewer and my system needs to have it (files saves as
    JPEG, TIF, etc.) assigned correctly. I do remember trying to change some
    scanner settings when my anti-virus scanner was running. Did something get
    mixed up in the registry? There must be a way to change this back to the
    default settings.

    The replies were posted the morning after your posting.

    ERK wrote:

    > "ERK" wrote:
    >

    >>When I right click on my pics and choose properties there are three
    >>tabs general,OCR Settings and summary. Also in the window it names the
    >>type of file and the option to open with. If I choose Microsoft Photo
    >>Editor it names the type of file as Jpeg which is correct. If I change to
    >>open with
    >>Windows picture and fax viewer it renames it to OmniPage Image File.
    >>What I can't understand is why OCR settings are even listed here, OCR,
    >>OmniPage is for documents not images.
    >
    > Since I haven't rec'd a reply for this I will provide more info which may be
    > helpful. The problem occured after I installed software for a CanonScan 4200F
    > scanner. I first tried to un-install and re-install the software, this did
    > not fix the problem so I contacted Canon. They said the problem is a Windows
    > issue. It seems that my system has OmniPage set as a default application for
    > Windows picture and fax viewer and my system needs to have it (files saves as
    > JPEG, TIF, etc.) assigned correctly. I do remember trying to change some
    > scanner settings when my anti-virus scanner was running. Did something get
    > mixed up in the registry? There must be a way to change this back to the
    > default settings.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP