Remote Assistance

June 10, 2005 8:56:05 PM

Hello,
There are two of us running windows xp home edition and we are trying to use
remote assistance. I have a d-link wireless router and my friend has a
linksys router. neither of us have the windows firewall enabled. I can ask
for assistance from him and he can connect to my computer, but when he asks
me for assistance i cannot connect to his computer. we have tried requests
through msn messenger, e-mail, etc............. and none of these work. does
he need to open a port for me to be able to connect to his computer and if so
could anyone explain how to do this. thank you.....................

More about : remote assistance

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:36:47 AM

The Remote Desktop hosting feature is only available with Windows XP Pro.
You can only use Windows XP Home Edition as a client and not a host.

Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"phileefan" wrote:

| Hello,
| There are two of us running windows xp home edition and we are trying to use
| remote assistance. I have a d-link wireless router and my friend has a
| linksys router. neither of us have the windows firewall enabled. I can ask
| for assistance from him and he can connect to my computer, but when he asks
| me for assistance i cannot connect to his computer. we have tried requests
| through msn messenger, e-mail, etc............. and none of these work. does
| he need to open a port for me to be able to connect to his computer and if so
| could anyone explain how to do this. thank you.....................
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:18:20 AM

Hi,

If he is behind a router, he needs to have port 3389 forwarded to his
internal IP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/