Remote Assistance

Hello,
There are two of us running windows xp home edition and we are trying to use
remote assistance. I have a d-link wireless router and my friend has a
linksys router. neither of us have the windows firewall enabled. I can ask
for assistance from him and he can connect to my computer, but when he asks
me for assistance i cannot connect to his computer. we have tried requests
through msn messenger, e-mail, etc............. and none of these work. does
he need to open a port for me to be able to connect to his computer and if so
could anyone explain how to do this. thank you.....................
2 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance

    The Remote Desktop hosting feature is only available with Windows XP Pro.
    You can only use Windows XP Home Edition as a client and not a host.

    Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

    HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

    Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

    Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
    http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "phileefan" wrote:

    | Hello,
    | There are two of us running windows xp home edition and we are trying to use
    | remote assistance. I have a d-link wireless router and my friend has a
    | linksys router. neither of us have the windows firewall enabled. I can ask
    | for assistance from him and he can connect to my computer, but when he asks
    | me for assistance i cannot connect to his computer. we have tried requests
    | through msn messenger, e-mail, etc............. and none of these work. does
    | he need to open a port for me to be able to connect to his computer and if so
    | could anyone explain how to do this. thank you.....................

    Hi,

    If he is behind a router, he needs to have port 3389 forwarded to his
    internal IP.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "phileefan" <phileefan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > There are two of us running windows xp home edition and we are trying to
    > use
    > remote assistance. I have a d-link wireless router and my friend has a
    > linksys router. neither of us have the windows firewall enabled. I can ask
    > for assistance from him and he can connect to my computer, but when he
    > asks
    > me for assistance i cannot connect to his computer. we have tried requests
    > through msn messenger, e-mail, etc............. and none of these work.
    > does
    > he need to open a port for me to be able to connect to his computer and if
    > so
    > could anyone explain how to do this. thank you.....................

Connection Computers Windows XP