Pagefault in Nonpaged Area BSOD

boarnoah

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I encountered a BSOD on my now 2 year old pre built system yesterday. It had no known problems whatsoever before.
Specs:

Acer Aspire X1800 E1232

Dual Core E5400 (2.7 ghz)
nForce 630i motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 7100 (on motherboard)
4 GB DD2 Ram (400 mhz, Single Channeled) - There is lots of other info on CpuZ but I think they are not very relevant.
220W no name PSU

After the BSOD, I did a force shutdown (holding down the power button) and the next restart was normal.

I later checked my MiniDump folder in the Windows Directory and found this crash dump file, related to the incident.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z7d1jc127hmnae3fhtk87knj4xc8r0a

From what I understand it is a Pagefault in Nonpaged Area error (According to BlueScreenViewer)

A quick Google search tells me that it may have been software (like Norton) that could be the culprit. I do not have such software (I am using Kaspersky 2010 - Expired License) with no problems for a long time. Wasn't running any memory intensive applications then either.

Another cause was said to be faulty RAM, unfortunately I have no idea about my RAM model no, or manufacturer.

Is it possible from looking at that Dump File to see what was at fault? Any help would be appreciated.

PS posting a dump file on the internet isnt a a security risk is it? :eek:

Solution
The above steps just deletes the current pagefile and creates a new one. If 4GB of RAM is installed the system managed size will be 4GB totaling 8GB of virtual memory (4GB of HDD space will be allocated). And no, it won't affect performance.

You could install more RAM but I don't advise mismatched modules. Get 4 x 2GB modules as a set.

Noticed you're only in single channel. You need to move a stick so that they are orientated occupying slots A0/B0 or A1/B1. Respectively slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel...

Example~

dual2.jpg

Capture-42.png

boarnoah

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
On Mon 06/08/2012 3:37:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080512-18938-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD0, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800030F1CE0, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 06/08/2012 3:37:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xDC39F)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD0, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800030F1CE0, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

It generated 2 things above, but my crash dump has only 1 file for this particular BSOD.

So according to it it is a Windows problem?

I have a 64 bit Windows 7 (Home) licensed and what I believe to be is updated to the current version.

RussK1

Splendid
One is a minidump and the other is a full dump.

What program do you have running when this happens?

Starters, uninstall Kaspersky and install Microsoft Security Essentials or re-download a 30 day trial of Kaspersky.

Problem could be the pagefile and we'll try this next.

RussK1

Splendid
Shot in the dark here:

1) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2) Click the Advanced tab.

3) Under Performance, click Settings.

4) Click the Advanced tab.

5) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

6) Click No paging file. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

7) Restart your computer.

8) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

9) Click the Advanced tab.

10) Under Performance, click Settings.

11) Click the Advanced tab.

12) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

13) Click System managed sized. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

14) Restart your computer.

boarnoah

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Before I do this, If I set page file to System Managed, does this mean that if the RAM is being fully used, the System has authority to use as much Virtual Memory (from the HDD) ?. Will this affect performance?

I sometimes do system intensive tasks, rendering, and lots of video gaming on this machine.

EDIT: Instead of increasing page file, would it solve the problem if I add more RAM? My motherboard can supposedly go up to 8GB (I think there were 2 free slots last time I checked inside)

If this is an option, it has to be DDR2 RAM with the same no. of pins right? Different manufacturer is OK?

I wouldn't worry about one blue screen, it is not uncommon to get them due to software bugs, however if you keep on getting them then you should investigate further. Have you updated any drivers recently? if you have try rolling back the driver.

RussK1

Splendid
The above steps just deletes the current pagefile and creates a new one. If 4GB of RAM is installed the system managed size will be 4GB totaling 8GB of virtual memory (4GB of HDD space will be allocated). And no, it won't affect performance.

You could install more RAM but I don't advise mismatched modules. Get 4 x 2GB modules as a set.

Noticed you're only in single channel. You need to move a stick so that they are orientated occupying slots A0/B0 or A1/B1. Respectively slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel...

Example~

dual2.jpg

Capture-42.png

Solution

boarnoah

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks, I will definitely add more RAM.

@ pjmelect no I haven't recently updated drivers. The only drivers I manually update are the Nvidia graphics drivers.

Again thank you so much for all the help I was getting worried !!!