Sign in with
Your question

Memory upgrade question

Last response: in Memory
December 28, 2003 12:13:44 AM

Hi, I am looking to add memory to my computer and was looking for some advice.
I have one of the first generation P4 1.5 GHZ which requires Rambus ram. Currently I have 128MB of 600-53 installed and wish to add 512MB (2X256). So my question is whether I should get 2x256 at 800, and discard the 600's (since they'll slow it down), or just add 2x256 at 600MHZ and leave the original ram in. I am not really sure whether faster ram is going to give a noticeable difference. This is further complicated because I am unsure whether my motherboard supports 800 and am unsure how to find out (it's a Dell Dimension 8100, as such didn't come with a manual for the motherboard). I use this computer for mostly gaming and internet.
Thanks for your help.
December 28, 2003 3:55:25 AM

I would stick with 600, cheaper. I wouldn't invest a lot of money in old RAM for that system.
December 28, 2003 6:26:10 AM

Thanks for the input.
As to where to get it, there are a lot of companies listed on pricewatch.com that offer what I'm looking for about $45 for 256MB, should I be wary of using these companies even though several of them offer pretested units with lifetime warranties?
Again, I really appreciate the help!

-joe
Related resources
December 28, 2003 8:06:31 PM

I was under the impression the memory would default to the lowest supported speed.
Anyways, the consensus is PC600 so I'll go with that.
a b } Memory
December 28, 2003 9:28:07 PM

I'd go with PC800 since you're dealing with a 400 bus CPU. But really, the P4 1.5 was very weak, you can find faster PIII systems. Have you considered upgrading the board/CPU?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 12, 2004 5:54:35 AM

Just to follow up:
I went ahead and got the 512 MB of PC600 for my system and its running great with performance WAY up (What was I doing running XP for 2 years w/ 128mb?!?). This upgrade will allow me to endure the next two years until I am able to afford (and learn how) to build my own new computer.
Thanks for helping me out.
!