Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 1520 w/intel AGN - Can see networks but can't connect!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 29, 2007 9:49:31 AM

I just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium and the Intel AGN 4965 card.

All seemed well until suddenly, I can't connect to ANY wireless network that my card sees. Currently, I can see 4 wifi networks including my own. I cannot connect to any of the nonsecure networks. Mine has WAP security on it. When I try to connect to mine, it prompts me for my password, accepts it, but then I still can't connect.

I've never come across this before and I couldn't find anything on it. Did my internal wifi card go bad already?

Thanks
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2007 3:01:48 PM

Have you contacted Dell? Best option right now cuz it's hard to give help without seeing your exact settings.

One thing to try: Click on your wireless network, select your signal, click change advanced settings, and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Make sure both are automatic or set to what yours needs (should be auto though). Mine got change the other day and although I was "connected" I couldn't get on the internet.
July 30, 2007 2:58:57 AM

Problem is, I can't even connect. I've had the problem that I can connect but can't get on the internet. This isn't the case. I can't even connect to the router I see. I'll call Dell Tomorrow. Thanks.
Related resources
July 30, 2007 4:44:01 PM

Sounds like an M$ issue that my friend was having with his Lenovo. You might wanna check the Forums about it. I forgot the issue/solution, but it sounds very similar, Lenovo told him 3 times to re-install factory defaults, and yet it was M$ the whole time.

Lemme see if I can find something in the e-mail he CC'd me in on that he sent Lenovo.
July 31, 2007 4:42:41 PM

Someone also mentioned a similar problem that was solved by turning off the bluetooth advanced discovery or something. I don't have bluetooth and I can't seem to find the link now. You might turn off bluetooth and see though. I will look for the link.

**EDIT** I found the article. Just skim down to the wireless section and see what they suggest.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsid=3821

Good Luck!!
August 2, 2007 6:40:10 PM

I appreciate all the help guys. Turns out, I found the perfect solution for the problem.

I installed Windows XP Pro....ha ha...

Actually, everything works better under XP. Higher benchmark scores all around. Woo-Hoo

That, and 3ds Max plays with XP a lot nicer than Vista.
August 7, 2007 1:13:09 AM

it is right way that disable the BT option in BIOS if no BT HW installed , or you may uninstall Dell wireless driver to Vista native one. hoping the issue goes away
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2010 6:36:15 PM

After a loooooooong google surch, the answer of cattlebaron was correct.

If you downgrade to XP and reinstall your drivers check your advance driver settings.
So if have also a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card check the following advanced settigings:
Bluethooth collaboration> must be disabled

THX, and i don't give a f*ck about the out dated topic, it helped me and if my answer help others than I'm happy :bounce: 
!