registry scan ?

I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
SYSTEM ERROR!
Windows has encountered an internal Error.
Your Windows registry is corrupt.
Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
visit http://www.i-regscan.com
to repair your registry.

When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
it. Looking for some help and advice here.
5 answers Last reply
More about registry scan

    Poor Richard wrote:
    > I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
    > popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
    > The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
    >
    > Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
    > SYSTEM ERROR!
    > Windows has encountered an internal Error.
    > Your Windows registry is corrupt.
    > Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
    > visit http://www.i-regscan.com
    > to repair your registry.
    >
    > When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
    > DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
    > problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
    > not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
    > it. Looking for some help and advice here.

    It's a scam, plain and simple. It's from a very unscrupulous
    "business." They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft provides
    free-of-charge, and using a very intrusive means of advertising. It's
    also demonstrating that your PC is very unsecured.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
    137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
    may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
    to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:ucMeX1hbFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Poor Richard <richard.stout@prodigy.net> typed:

    > I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a
    > legitimate
    > windows popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
    > The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
    >
    > Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
    > SYSTEM ERROR!
    > Windows has encountered an internal Error.
    > Your Windows registry is corrupt.
    > Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
    > visit http://www.i-regscan.com
    > to repair your registry.
    >
    > When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial
    > site for
    > "ERROR DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I
    > have
    > a registry problem or is this just another misleading attempt
    > to sell
    > me something I do not need? My wife tells me she has received
    > this
    > window before but ignored it. Looking for some help and advice
    > here.

    Do you not have a problem (at least not the one its telling you
    about). This is an ad that was sent to you via Windows Messenger
    Service.

    However you do have a problem, and a serious one. You're running
    without a firewall, and that leaves you vulnerable, not just to
    ads like this, but far worse problems.

    Do yourself a favor: install a firewall immediately. You can
    install the firewall that comes with Windows or better, use one
    of the several freeware choices available to you. I personally
    use and like the free version of ZoneAlarm at www.zonelabs.com.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    It is things like that www.i-regscan.com (used * to make the link here not
    work) which always wind up in my hosts file.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate
    windows
    > popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
    > The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
    >
    > Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
    > SYSTEM ERROR!
    > Windows has encountered an internal Error.
    > Your Windows registry is corrupt.
    > Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
    > visit http://www.i-regscan.com
    > to repair your registry.
    >
    > When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for
    "ERROR
    > DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
    > problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I
    do
    > not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but
    ignored
    > it. Looking for some help and advice here.

    Hi,

    This is a very clear case of spyware/pop-ups on your system. A very good resource on spyware
    removal:

    The parasite fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
    > popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
    > The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
    >
    > Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
    > SYSTEM ERROR!
    > Windows has encountered an internal Error.
    > Your Windows registry is corrupt.
    > Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
    > visit http://www.i-regscan.com
    > to repair your registry.
    >
    > When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
    > DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
    > problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
    > not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
    > it. Looking for some help and advice here.

    Hi George,

    Perhaps perform your Windows Updates. There are updates that address these
    issues.

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > It is things like that www.i-regscan.com (used * to make the link here not
    > work) which always wind up in my hosts file.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > > I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate
    > windows
    > > popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
    > > The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
    > >
    > > Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
    > > SYSTEM ERROR!
    > > Windows has encountered an internal Error.
    > > Your Windows registry is corrupt.
    > > Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
    > > visit http://www.i-regscan.com
    > > to repair your registry.
    > >
    > > When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for
    > "ERROR
    > > DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
    > > problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I
    > do
    > > not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but
    > ignored
    > > it. Looking for some help and advice here.

Registry Microsoft Windows XP