registry scan ?

June 10, 2005 11:34:29 PM

I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)

Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
SYSTEM ERROR!
Windows has encountered an internal Error.
Your Windows registry is corrupt.
Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
visit http://www.i-regscan.com
to repair your registry.

When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
it. Looking for some help and advice here.

More about : registry scan

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:34:30 PM

Poor Richard wrote:
> I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
> popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
> The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
>
> Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
> SYSTEM ERROR!
> Windows has encountered an internal Error.
> Your Windows registry is corrupt.
> Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
> visit http://www.i-regscan.com
> to repair your registry.
>
> When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
> DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
> problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
> not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
> it. Looking for some help and advice here.

It's a scam, plain and simple. It's from a very unscrupulous
"business." They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft provides
free-of-charge, and using a very intrusive means of advertising. It's
also demonstrating that your PC is very unsecured.

This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
specific steps.

You can test your firewall at:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&...

Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
http://www.sygatetech.com/

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:34:30 PM

In news:ucMeX1hbFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Poor Richard <richard.stout@prodigy.net> typed:

> I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a
> legitimate
> windows popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
> The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
>
> Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
> SYSTEM ERROR!
> Windows has encountered an internal Error.
> Your Windows registry is corrupt.
> Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
> visit http://www.i-regscan.com
> to repair your registry.
>
> When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial
> site for
> "ERROR DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I
> have
> a registry problem or is this just another misleading attempt
> to sell
> me something I do not need? My wife tells me she has received
> this
> window before but ignored it. Looking for some help and advice
> here.

Do you not have a problem (at least not the one its telling you
about). This is an ad that was sent to you via Windows Messenger
Service.

However you do have a problem, and a serious one. You're running
without a firewall, and that leaves you vulnerable, not just to
ads like this, but far worse problems.

Do yourself a favor: install a firewall immediately. You can
install the firewall that comes with Windows or better, use one
of the several freeware choices available to you. I personally
use and like the free version of ZoneAlarm at www.zonelabs.com.

Please reply to the newsgroup
June 11, 2005 1:30:47 AM

It is things like that www.i-regscan.com (used * to make the link here not
work) which always wind up in my hosts file.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate
windows
> popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
> The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
>
> Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
> SYSTEM ERROR!
> Windows has encountered an internal Error.
> Your Windows registry is corrupt.
> Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
> visit http://www.i-regscan.com
> to repair your registry.
>
> When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for
"ERROR
> DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
> problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I
do
> not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but
ignored
> it. Looking for some help and advice here.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:43:46 AM

Hi,

This is a very clear case of spyware/pop-ups on your system. A very good resource on spyware
removal:

The parasite fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I just now logged onto the Internet and what looks like a legitimate windows
> popped up. The title was "Messenger Service."
> The message is quoted verbatim here. (Caps are as in message)
>
> Message from SYSTEM to ALERT on 6/10/2005 6:43:19 PM
> SYSTEM ERROR!
> Windows has encountered an internal Error.
> Your Windows registry is corrupt.
> Windows recommends and IMMEDIATE system scan.
> visit http://www.i-regscan.com
> to repair your registry.
>
> When I went to that site, it appears to be just a commercial site for "ERROR
> DOCTOR" trying to sell me a registry scan program. Do I have a registry
> problem or is this just another misleading attempt to sell me something I do
> not need? My wife tells me she has received this window before but ignored
> it. Looking for some help and advice here.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:32:01 AM

Hi George,

Perhaps perform your Windows Updates. There are updates that address these
issues.

!