U9: Ascension to where?

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

From the Origin to the Destination, oops, I mean NCSoft.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> From the Origin to the Destination, oops, I mean NCSoft.

*mutters something incoherent about memories, Mercadian, and U2 Mapper*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Ah geez, this stupid thing wasn't supposed to send, it was suppose to
save until I got my thoughts together. One of these days, I'm gonna...

Well, I might as well tell you what was on my mind: I finally
got around to playing U9 and I don't get the way it ended.
It seems that what they were saying about it nearly 5 years
ago was deserved. It's easily the most buggy Ultima I ever
experienced, if I watched the Space channel for a week, I'm sure I'd
see the same cliche concept used to explain the Guardian's origin
(which I'm quite sure was *not* what Garriott had in mind when making
U7) but the end wasn't what I expected at all. At the beginning,
before the Avatar even leaves Earth (whose presence there is already
in contradiction to the end of U8) the gypsy tells you that you won't
ever return to Britannia or Earth. So I was expecting something really
gaudy and ostentatious, like the MASH finale. Instead I got... what I
got. And that music seemed really inappropriate. So what happened to
the Avatar? Did he go to science-fiction heaven or something? After
the credits were done the program exited in a CRD sort of way. Is that
what was supposed to happen? Or would I have had my questions
answered?
I've only now just discovered the dialogue patch
(http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/rpgplanet/ultima9/u9diapatch.zip)
which promises to explain many things, but I there was no mention of
the finale in the summary.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:47:36 -0500, The Ultra-Mind Dragon
<angus@hamgate.concordia.ca> wrote:

>Ah geez, this stupid thing wasn't supposed to send, it was suppose to
>save until I got my thoughts together. One of these days, I'm gonna...
>
> Well, I might as well tell you what was on my mind: I finally
>got around to playing U9 and I don't get the way it ended.
> It seems that what they were saying about it nearly 5 years
>ago was deserved. It's easily the most buggy Ultima I ever
>experienced, if I watched the Space channel for a week, I'm sure I'd
>see the same cliche concept used to explain the Guardian's origin
>(which I'm quite sure was *not* what Garriott had in mind when making
>U7) but the end wasn't what I expected at all. At the beginning,
>before the Avatar even leaves Earth (whose presence there is already
>in contradiction to the end of U8) the gypsy tells you that you won't
>ever return to Britannia or Earth. So I was expecting something really
>gaudy and ostentatious, like the MASH finale. Instead I got... what I
>got. And that music seemed really inappropriate. So what happened to
>the Avatar? Did he go to science-fiction heaven or something? After

No, he was transformed into a metal ankh. Didn't you notice Raven pick it
up? ;>

>the credits were done the program exited in a CRD sort of way. Is that
>what was supposed to happen? Or would I have had my questions
>answered?

Did that music remind you of either Time Bandits or The NeverEnding Story
music? Yes, I think that is the way it is supposed to end. I kind of
wanted a "quotes" bit added to the journal, but actually that was there
already.

> I've only now just discovered the dialogue patch
>(http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/rpgplanet/ultima9/u9diapatch.zip)
>which promises to explain many things, but I there was no mention of
>the finale in the summary.

It doesn't change the ending. Really it just brings some familiar faces
back into the game by renaming some characters with the names from the
series games.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

It was a dark and stormy night when Michael Cecil
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:47:36 -0500, The Ultra-Mind Dragon
><angus@hamgate.concordia.ca> wrote:
>
>>Ah geez, this stupid thing wasn't supposed to send, it was suppose to
>>save until I got my thoughts together. One of these days, I'm gonna...
>>
>> Well, I might as well tell you what was on my mind: I finally
>>got around to playing U9 and I don't get the way it ended.
>> It seems that what they were saying about it nearly 5 years
>>ago was deserved. It's easily the most buggy Ultima I ever
>>experienced, if I watched the Space channel for a week, I'm sure I'd
>>see the same cliche concept used to explain the Guardian's origin
>>(which I'm quite sure was *not* what Garriott had in mind when making
>>U7) but the end wasn't what I expected at all. At the beginning,
>>before the Avatar even leaves Earth (whose presence there is already
>>in contradiction to the end of U8) the gypsy tells you that you won't
>>ever return to Britannia or Earth. So I was expecting something really
>>gaudy and ostentatious, like the MASH finale. Instead I got... what I
>>got. And that music seemed really inappropriate. So what happened to
>>the Avatar? Did he go to science-fiction heaven or something? After
>
>No, he was transformed into a metal ankh. Didn't you notice Raven pick it
>up? ;>

And I also saw the one in the sky. But seriously, is there a
more completely explanation of what happened? Or does the explanation
have more to do w/real world politics or something like that?

>>the credits were done the program exited in a CRD sort of way. Is that
>>what was supposed to happen? Or would I have had my questions
>>answered?
>
>Did that music remind you of either Time Bandits or The NeverEnding Story
>music? Yes, I think that is the way it is supposed to end. I kind of

I definitely didn't think of the NeverEnding Story, but good
guess w/Time Bandits. No, it reminded me of Dr. Who, from the 80s'
I-wish-they-hadn't-produced-it era.

>wanted a "quotes" bit added to the journal, but actually that was there
>already.
>
>> I've only now just discovered the dialogue patch
>>(http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/rpgplanet/ultima9/u9diapatch.zip)
>>which promises to explain many things, but I there was no mention of
>>the finale in the summary.
>
>It doesn't change the ending. Really it just brings some familiar faces
>back into the game by renaming some characters with the names from the
>series games.

Maybe it'll explain why in my version Dupre was dead at the
beginning. My U7.5 had a bug wherein Dupre didn't sacrifice himself.
So I had to cheat a blackrock staff (or whatever it was). As a result,
Dupre was with me all the way to the Wall of Lights, but I still had
to resurrect him in U9.

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <eth0u05qa8nm6n2ebc64fngopg0drddac3@4ax.com>,
angus@hamgate.concordia.ca says...

In my case, the release of energy and my subsequent recombination with
my dark side (I always figured that part to be one of the weakest pieces
of story anywhere) was a bit too much for me, and I lost consciousness.
The last thing I remember was looking down and seeing Raven and British
looking up.

Next thing I know, I wake up in fairly comfortable bed in a place I will
come to know as Vault 13. But that, and what happens in the Wasteland
after, is a tale for another day.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 02:17:45 -0800, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

>Next thing I know, I wake up in fairly comfortable bed in a place I will
>come to know as Vault 13. But that, and what happens in the Wasteland
>after, is a tale for another day.

You're going to play Wasteland after you play Fallout?

Hmmm. Did the PC version of Wasteland have the neat into with the Earth
getting blown up and the rad counter going crazy?

--

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:42:20 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hmmm. Did the PC version of Wasteland have the neat into with the Earth
>getting blown up and the rad counter going crazy?

Make that "neat intro"

--

Words to the wise, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>You're going to play Wasteland after you play Fallout?
>
>Hmmm. Did the PC version of Wasteland have the neat into with the Earth
>getting blown up and the rad counter going crazy?

OOOh, Wasteland. Yes .... After I have gotten Fallout 1.
And after I find a useful manual for it.