Installation problem

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi there,

I have an installation problem with my win7 64bit.
I don't know how long I've had it for as usually I install (a lot of programs) to another partition and games to a different partition again.

But I tried to install commoncents about a week ago and it "installed" with a lot of intallation errors "unable to create (something).lnk, ensure you have permission and try again" or somesuch message. And then after installation I was able to run it but it was unable to do anything except crash.

Yesterday I tried to upgrade nortons internet explorer, and despite it saying it was installed I can't get the command module to display, or the program to do anything except sit in the task bar with it's "I'm not working" icon showing.

I then tried to install comodo firewall which gave me a fatal error 1603, although it did seem to install comodo dragon and comodogeek successfully.

So I believe that these programs all have some features that have to be installed on C: drive and my system is not letting them install to one or more of the required folders?

Today i installed malwarebytes on another partition without any problem - it runs fine.

I've tried a lot of things and still have some ideas which i'm going to try now, but does anyone have any suggestions?

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I would run a full virus scan on the Win7 partition because those install errors sound kind of like malware. Also, running a disk check on the C: drive is good preventive maintenance.

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi guys, thanks for trying. I am the administrator. CHKDSK and SFC have been done and are fine. I regularly run a virus scan, although I can't at the moment as it is Norton's internet security is one of the programs not re-installing and I don't want to spend too much time on the net with that computer as it has no protection. I can't find any folders that are encrypted, and I never use that option, but is there some way I can do a list of all encrytped folders on my C: at all as it is to big a job to right click on every folder and check? Any software that does that? I think the encryption problem is definitely a good theory, but need a much better way of checking.