XP firewall and print sharing

I've forgotten the answer to this question. Can a machine running WinXP home
share a printer on a home network with the XP firewall turned on?
My Norton subscription is running out and I'm thinking of going with the XP
firewall.
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about firewall print sharing

    Yes it can.
    Have you tried ZoneAlarm Free.
    www.zonelabs.com

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "DanR" <dan@my-olddeja.com> wrote in message
    I've forgotten the answer to this question. Can a machine running WinXP home
    share a printer on a home network with the XP firewall turned on?
    My Norton subscription is running out and I'm thinking of going with the XP
    firewall.
    Thanks

    Thanks for fast answer River Rat. I'll look into Zone-Alarm. Do you like it
    better than XP FW? Is it easy on system resources? Norton's sure isn't. Also
    looking into anti-virus for same reason. My biggest challenge will be getting
    Norton off my computers.
    What river to you ride?

    River_Rat wrote:
    > Yes it can.
    > Have you tried ZoneAlarm Free.
    > www.zonelabs.com

    Be sure to visit Symantec's website when ready to remove your Norton AV &
    security products and use there removal tools.

    The advantage to using a 3rd party firewall is that they will offer better
    settings for adjusting inbound & outbound traffic.
    Yes these products are very easy on system resources, free, & user friendly,
    my recommendations are in this order.

    Firewalls
    ZoneAlarm
    www.zonelabs.com
    Outpost
    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/downloads/1137646
    Kerio
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Antivirus
    AVG
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
    Avast

    River_Rat wrote:
    > Yes it can.
    > Have you tried ZoneAlarm Free.
    > www.zonelabs.com

    ZoneAlarm Free Download.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp

    --

    River_Rat wrote:
    > Yes it can.
    > Have you tried ZoneAlarm Free.
    > www.zonelabs.com

    XP's firewall isn't bad but it really depends on the kind of
    security/control you are looking for. XP will only block incoming traffic
    whereas something like Kerio or Zone Alarm will allow you to block incoming
    and outgoing traffic.

    DanR wrote:
    > Thanks for fast answer River Rat. I'll look into Zone-Alarm. Do you like it
    > better than XP FW?

    Almost anything is better than WinXP's built-in firewall, which is
    adequate at stopping incoming attacks, and hiding your ports from
    probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not do, is protect you from any
    Trojans or spyware that you (or someone else using your computer) might
    download and install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going
    traffic at all, other than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or
    at even ask you about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals.
    It assumes that any application you have on your hard drive is there
    because you want it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access
    the Internet. Further, because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful"
    firewall, it will also assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct
    response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    > Is it easy on system resources? Norton's sure isn't. Also
    > looking into anti-virus for same reason.

    You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
    without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
    But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
    products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
    were acquired by Network Associates.

    However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
    Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
    higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
    expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
    GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
    free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
    (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
    easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
    was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
    improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
    product.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Zonealarm Security Suite is excellent. You get a good firewall and a good
    virus protection (which is CA's). You have to pay, though.

    Rob Graham

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP