Bug in "Create Character" when playing UW1

Last response: in Video Games
January 15, 2005 4:23:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I'd just like to thank Gordon Dickinson for sending me the complete
reason why I couldn't access the Tetrahedron in U7. I had gauntlets on
and the ring was not on my finger as it should have been.

Seeing as I have finally stumbled on an Ultima community I have a rather
long standing problem with UW1 that somebody here might know something
about. There seems to be a bug in "Create Character" that I don't know
how to get around. Everything goes fine with UW1 CC until it asks for a
name. When I type the first letter of the name the program, and indeed
the whole computer, crashes.

I'm running Windows 98 DOS and UW is not confined to the directory c:\uw
(it's in c:\uc\uw). This doesn't seem to affect the problem however and
I have tried changing these parameters. I've tried different keyboards
but the problem is the same. Anyone with a work around for this I'd be
most grateful to hear. This has plagued me for years.

Yours
Bill
--
Bill Jillians
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:23:55 +0000, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>I'd just like to thank Gordon Dickinson for sending me the complete
>reason why I couldn't access the Tetrahedron in U7. I had gauntlets on
>and the ring was not on my finger as it should have been.

Yay! Kudos to Gordon. Hmmm, that name sounds familiar.

>Seeing as I have finally stumbled on an Ultima community I have a rather
>long standing problem with UW1 that somebody here might know something
>about. There seems to be a bug in "Create Character" that I don't know
>how to get around. Everything goes fine with UW1 CC until it asks for a
>name. When I type the first letter of the name the program, and indeed
>the whole computer, crashes.
>
>I'm running Windows 98 DOS and UW is not confined to the directory c:\uw
>(it's in c:\uc\uw). This doesn't seem to affect the problem however and
>I have tried changing these parameters. I've tried different keyboards
>but the problem is the same. Anyone with a work around for this I'd be
>most grateful to hear. This has plagued me for years.

Maybe a write protection error? Did you ever make sure that none of the
files in the uw directory are read-only?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Words to the wise, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>I'd just like to thank Gordon Dickinson for sending me the complete
>reason why I couldn't access the Tetrahedron in U7. I had gauntlets on
>and the ring was not on my finger as it should have been.

Hmmm, what about reading what other people had posted as answers to
your question? I think three times or so, it was mentioned that you
have to actually wear the ring.
January 16, 2005 7:56:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:23:55 +0000, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>Seeing as I have finally stumbled on an Ultima community I have a rather
>long standing problem with UW1 that somebody here might know something
>about. There seems to be a bug in "Create Character" that I don't know
>how to get around. Everything goes fine with UW1 CC until it asks for a
>name. When I type the first letter of the name the program, and indeed
>the whole computer, crashes.

I remember facing a similar problem back when I played Underworld I on
Win9x; it crashed the computer when I typed in the character's name.
Actually, it crashed when I pressed SHIFT and the first letter of the
name; if I typed the name in all lower-case, there was no problem. The
workaround was to either a) have a name in all lowercase, or b) toggle
CAPSLOCK to get a capital letter.

It's probably not a bug in the GAME, though, so much as something in
Windows. There was no such problem with Underworld I playing it in DOS
back in the day, and it also doesn't crash if I use SHIFT when playing
the game with DOSBox.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:56:53 PM

Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
> Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:
>

>>I'd just like to thank Gordon Dickinson for sending me the complete
>>reason why I couldn't access the Tetrahedron in U7. I had gauntlets on
>>and the ring was not on my finger as it should have been.
>

> Hmmm, what about reading what other people had posted as answers to
> your question? I think three times or so, it was mentioned that you
> have to actually wear the ring.

I think he had read the responses. Looking at the savegame, he just had
the ring in one of the hand slots instead of one of the ring slots.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:12:42 PM

Words to the wise, Gordon Dickinson <gd7341@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think he had read the responses. Looking at the savegame, he just had
>the ring in one of the hand slots instead of one of the ring slots.

Ah, had forgotten that this was possible.

Point taken.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:13:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

(On topic) I found out about the "Create Character" bug. I was trying
to select a physiognomy that looked like me each time. Choosing the
first face in the list didn't bring up the bug.

Quietly we read <27miu05knpdcectj22vjda8t892mq2qats@4ax.com>, unable to
contain our credulity we realized that Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> said this:
>Words to the wise, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
>Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:
>
>>I'd just like to thank Gordon Dickinson for sending me the complete
>>reason why I couldn't access the Tetrahedron in U7. I had gauntlets on
>>and the ring was not on my finger as it should have been.
>
>Hmmm, what about reading what other people had posted as answers to
>your question? I think three times or so, it was mentioned that you
>have to actually wear the ring.

It wasn't in a bag. I had it on my person in a slot that I thought was
the hand but it turned out that there was another slot hidden which
needed to have the gauntlets removed before the ring could be put there.
Anyway ... sorry about all the fuss. I've been playing solidly since
the fix and I still haven't finished the game. I've made it to the
Throne of Many Changes.

Maybe tomorrow ?????

(Later): Finally! That game took me 5.5 months to finish. Amazing!
Did it in 24 days according to the final screen. I couldn't get the
endgame to function with my Soundblaster so I had to disable it to
watch. Is there a work around to see the endgame with sound on a
Soundblaster? Also is there a way to cast "Armageddon"? It won't let
me do it in Lord British's castle.

Bill
--
Bill Jillians
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Words to the wise, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>It wasn't in a bag. I had it on my person in a slot that I thought was
>the hand but it turned out that there was another slot hidden which
>needed to have the gauntlets removed before the ring could be put there.
>Anyway ... sorry about all the fuss. I've been playing solidly since
>the fix and I still haven't finished the game. I've made it to the
>Throne of Many Changes.

Ah, the throne is nice ... pretty nice.

Yes, I agree its a bit funny that you have to take off your gauntlets
to wear a ring, but then again, it is not, just is not the standard
way of wearing equipment in rpgs (in a mud i play, you can wear two
rings and gauntlets and wear a shield, wield a weapon and carry a
lightsource at the same time. If you use a two-handed weapon, you have
to remove the lightsource but you can still wear a tower shield -
right.)

>Maybe tomorrow ?????
>
>(Later): Finally! That game took me 5.5 months to finish. Amazing!
>Did it in 24 days according to the final screen. I couldn't get the
>endgame to function with my Soundblaster so I had to disable it to
>watch. Is there a work around to see the endgame with sound on a
>Soundblaster? Also is there a way to cast "Armageddon"? It won't let
>me do it in Lord British's castle.

I never experienced any trouble with the endgame, but then, if memory
serves me right, I have yet to beat it with either exult or dosbox.

And you can cast Armageddon. I would try to cast it outside of the
castle.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:14:01 PM

Claus Dragon wrote:

> And you can cast Armageddon. I would try to cast it outside of the
> castle.

...and when you do, don't forget to talk to Batlin afterwards
(without the Cube!)
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:01:15 PM

Words to the wise, JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>Claus Dragon wrote:
>>
>> And you can cast Armageddon. I would try to cast it outside of the
>> castle.
>
>..and when you do, don't forget to talk to Batlin afterwards
>(without the Cube!)

and to death, and to lord british.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:14:42 AM

JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in news:csik0p$i9f$1@sparta.btinternet.com:

> Claus Dragon wrote:
>>
>> And you can cast Armageddon. I would try to cast it outside of the
>> castle.
>
> ..and when you do, don't forget to talk to Batlin afterwards
> (without the Cube!)

That always hit me as rather strange. There should've been a case for
"cube-has" && "armageddon-cast", possibly allowing you to completely
interrogate him because, hey, who're you going to tell?
However, I do think Batlin's little ancedote there is probably the best
piece of dialouge in the game.

-==Kensu==-
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> That always hit me as rather strange. There should've been a case for
> "cube-has" && "armageddon-cast", possibly allowing you to completely

There were some usecode bugs in both U7s. For instance, in U7SI, you must be
VERY careful about the Staff you will find in a closet in troll's camp in
Furnace - or otherwise Xenka will never offer you the sacrifice.

--
Max
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quietly we read <csik0p$i9f$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, unable to contain
our credulity we realized that JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org> said this:
>Claus Dragon wrote:
>> And you can cast Armageddon. I would try to cast it outside of the
>> castle.
>
>..and when you do, don't forget to talk to Batlin afterwards
>(without the Cube!)

Yes, I've done it now with the cube.... he just disappeared.

--
Bill Jillians
Anonymous

Words to the wise, "Moscow Dragon" <maxim__s@mtu-net.ru> wrote:

>> That always hit me as rather strange. There should've been a case for
>> "cube-has" && "armageddon-cast", possibly allowing you to completely
>
>There were some usecode bugs in both U7s. For instance, in U7SI, you must be
>VERY careful about the Staff you will find in a closet in troll's camp in
>Furnace - or otherwise Xenka will never offer you the sacrifice.

Is there a documention of the usecode somewhere? i would be interested
in reading that. besides, would making this available to the public be
illegal?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:11:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> Is there a documention of the usecode somewhere? i would be interested

I started my usecode reverse engineering work in 1999, and wrote the usecode
disassembler program.

Then Jeff (Exult maintainer) immediately wrote the interpreter, which turned
Exult from just U7 world viewer to a game engine remake.

Now this work is continued by the Exult team.

--
Max
Anonymous

Moscow Dragon wrote:
>>That always hit me as rather strange. There should've been a case for
>>"cube-has" && "armageddon-cast", possibly allowing you to completely
>

> There were some usecode bugs in both U7s. For instance, in U7SI, you must be
> VERY careful about the Staff you will find in a closet in troll's camp in
> Furnace - or otherwise Xenka will never offer you the sacrifice.

I don't remember ever having this problem (and I encountered quite a few
while working on 'Starless'. ) Was it fixed in Silver Seed?
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:34:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> I don't remember ever having this problem (and I encountered quite a few
> while working on 'Starless'. ) Was it fixed in Silver Seed?

No. IIRC the bug occurs if you pull the Staff to your backpack from the
distance without actually entering the closet. It has an Egg on the floor.
Due to some stupidity, this Egg triggers the flag which is later sometimes -
stupidly - considered as "you have Serpent Staff" (instead of proper
inventory scan).

Xenka's "sacrifice" answer depends on it.

--
Max
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

"Moscow Dragon" <maxim__s@mtu-net.ru> wrote in

> No. IIRC the bug occurs if you pull the Staff to your backpack from
> the distance without actually entering the closet. It has an Egg on
> the floor. Due to some stupidity, this Egg triggers the flag which is
> later sometimes - stupidly - considered as "you have Serpent Staff"
> (instead of proper inventory scan).
>
> Xenka's "sacrifice" answer depends on it.

Can you even pick up the staff without walking into the cage? Without the
hackmover, of course. I remember SI being pretty good with those "blocked"
messages.

-==Kensu==-
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:39:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> Can you even pick up the staff without walking into the cage? Without the
> hackmover, of course. I remember SI being pretty good with those "blocked"
> messages.

Yes. Open the hatch door (can also be done from another corner of the
screen) and proceed.

--
Max
!