Does anyone know of a PDF-to-something else utility ?

I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS word format or
some other common format that I can convert.

This is a file created with a very recent version of acrobat and the
and it's protected against selecting any or all of the text so I can
copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.

I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they say
"invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been updated to the
current spec.

OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can use that too.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
18 answers Last reply
More about does something utility

    If you have a scanner, you could scan it and use the OCR
    software to get text. Or spend $600 and buy the full
    Acrobat program.

    some support

    | I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS
    word format or
    | some other common format that I can convert.
    |
    | This is a file created with a very recent version of
    acrobat and the
    | and it's protected against selecting any or all of the
    text so I can
    | copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.
    |
    | I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they
    say
    | "invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been
    updated to the
    | current spec.
    |
    | OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can
    use that too.

    | --
    | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    |
    | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Linux! Gore! and now pdf.... you do need help.<G>

    I've got PDF Tools which may be able to extract the text. 'Don't know if it
    can get by password protection but I'm willing to try.

    You may send me the file and I'll give it a try. You may want to ZIP the
    file if you can.

    My real e-mail address is:

    dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom <== change the obvious

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS word format or
    > some other common format that I can convert.
    >
    > This is a file created with a very recent version of acrobat and the
    > and it's protected against selecting any or all of the text so I can
    > copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.
    >
    > I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they say
    > "invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been updated to the
    > current spec.
    >
    > OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can use that too.

    Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader and choose File... Save as Text. Or...
    click on Edit...Copy file to clipboard. Now paste it in Word, Wordpad, etc.
    (sometimes you lose the clipboard copy when you later open Word, etc so open
    the program you wish to paste to before you Copy file to clipboard in
    Acrobat.)

    --

    Darrell R. Schmidt
    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

    In article <e4iCLykbFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >If you have a scanner, you could scan it and use the OCR
    >software to get text. Or spend $600 and buy the full
    >Acrobat program.

    Did you notice I said it's a 7MB pdf, all text. It's thousands of
    pages. :-( Thanks
    --

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <e4iCLykbFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    > Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >>If you have a scanner, you could scan it and use the OCR
    >>software to get text. Or spend $600 and buy the full
    >>Acrobat program.
    >>

    > Did you notice I said it's a 7MB pdf, all text. It's thousands of
    > pages. :-( Thanks

    Yes, and it's copy-protected. Why not contact the people who wrote the
    document and ask for permission to copy it (or whatever your end goal
    with the document is)? I'm sorry, but I don't know of any way to break
    the copy protection on the file.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    In article <11alt72jpt45n4f@corp.supernews.com>,
    Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
    >Linux! Gore! and now pdf.... you do need help.<G>
    >
    >I've got PDF Tools which may be able to extract the text. 'Don't know if it
    >can get by password protection but I'm willing to try.

    it's copy/paste protectedn, not password protected.

    it's a couple thousand pages of text and I just want to clip the
    occasional sentance out for a citation. And it's text, not acrobat'd
    images.

    >You may send me the file and I'll give it a try. You may want to ZIP the
    >file if you can.
    >
    >My real e-mail address is:
    >
    >dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom <== change the obvious
    >

    >--
    >Don
    >Vancouver, USA
    >

    >"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS word format or
    >> some other common format that I can convert.
    >>
    >> This is a file created with a very recent version of acrobat and the
    >> and it's protected against selecting any or all of the text so I can
    >> copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.
    >>
    >> I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they say
    >> "invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been updated to the
    >> current spec.
    >>
    >> OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can use that too.
    >>

    >> --
    >> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >>
    >> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    My computer does the work, not me. :-)
    After the conversion you could find what you want with a find.

    It would be a good test for the pdf program I brag about, PDF-XChange.

    'Still willing to give it a try.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    In article <7qEqe.10456$qr.3715@fed1read06>, Darrell S <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote:
    >Al Dykes wrote:
    >> I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS word format or
    >> some other common format that I can convert.
    >>
    >> This is a file created with a very recent version of acrobat and the
    >> and it's protected against selecting any or all of the text so I can
    >> copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.
    >>
    >> I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they say
    >> "invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been updated to the
    >> current spec.
    >>
    >> OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can use that too.
    >
    >Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader and choose File... Save as Text. Or...
    >click on Edit...Copy file to clipboard. Now paste it in Word, Wordpad, etc.
    >(sometimes you lose the clipboard copy when you later open Word, etc so open
    >the program you wish to paste to before you Copy file to clipboard in
    >Acrobat.)

    Copy is greyed out in all cases. So is save as text.

    It's NOT password protected.

    If any of you want to try it, d/l the 9-11 Commission Report (7MB)
    from here. This is what I want to clip citations from.

    http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf

    Their concern is legit. If I could edit it and make a new PDF it
    would allow bogus versions to circulate. If I copy it to flat ascii
    there is no way I could recreate the pagination, etc in a new PDF.

    --

    > In article <7qEqe.10456$qr.3715@fed1read06>, Darrell S <dumbwid@fox.com>
    > wrote:
    >>Al Dykes wrote:
    >>> I want to dump a 7MB PDF file to plain ascii text or MS word format or
    >>> some other common format that I can convert.
    >>>
    >>> This is a file created with a very recent version of acrobat and the
    >>> and it's protected against selecting any or all of the text so I can
    >>> copy and paste. The Copy menu item is always greyed-out.
    >>>
    >>> I've downloaded a couple shareware PDF converters but they say
    >>> "invalid format" which I guess means they haven't been updated to the
    >>> current spec.
    >>>
    >>> OT: If anyone knows any linux software to do this I can use that too.
    >>
    >>Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader and choose File... Save as Text.
    >>Or...
    >>click on Edit...Copy file to clipboard. Now paste it in Word, Wordpad,
    >>etc.
    >>(sometimes you lose the clipboard copy when you later open Word, etc so
    >>open
    >>the program you wish to paste to before you Copy file to clipboard in
    >>Acrobat.)
    >>

    > Copy is greyed out in all cases. So is save as text.
    >
    > It's NOT password protected.
    >
    > If any of you want to try it, d/l the 9-11 Commission Report (7MB)
    > from here. This is what I want to clip citations from.
    >
    > http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf
    >
    > Their concern is legit. If I could edit it and make a new PDF it
    > would allow bogus versions to circulate. If I copy it to flat ascii
    > there is no way I could recreate the pagination, etc in a new PDF.
    >

    > --
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    If you just want to copy, not modify, and an image copy would work then you
    can:

    Use Alt-Print Screen and copy the open window to the clipboard and paste
    to an image editing program and crop the image to what you want.

    Use Microsoft OneNote 2003 Screen Clipping feature. You just start
    screen clipping and use your mouse to highlight the text you want. I check
    function on your link and it did work on this document. Note: the screen
    clip results in a GIF image.

    I suspect {but I am not sure} that the problem you are having in converting
    the 911.pdf file to Word is a limitation of the converter you are using or
    perhaps of the version of Word your are using. I just converted 585 pages
    of my {not the one you linked to} 911.pdf file to Word 2003 using Scansoft
    PDF Converter 3 with no problem. A quick check {not all pages} indicates a
    accurate copy.

    Don

    In article <11alt72jpt45n4f@corp.supernews.com>,
    Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
    >Linux! Gore! and now pdf.... you do need help.<G>
    >
    >I've got PDF Tools which may be able to extract the text. 'Don't know if it
    >can get by password protection but I'm willing to try.
    >
    >You may send me the file and I'll give it a try. You may want to ZIP the
    >file if you can.
    >
    >My real e-mail address is:
    >
    >dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom <== change the obvious

    Look for an email from me. Thanks

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    So who are you voting for next time, Hillary or Kerry?

    Is it on the web, if so does Google show it as text.

    In article <OPz#iQqbFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, David Candy <.> wrote:
    >Is it on the web, if so does Google show it as text.

    Good call, but nope. All the google hits go to PDF, not html.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Including Google's cache of the PDF (ie View as HTML as it's called for PDFs)?

    Are you allowed to print? If so print to the Text Only printer and send to File.

    In article <OJlgvaqbFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, David Candy <.> wrote:
    >Including Google's cache of the PDF (ie View as HTML as it's called for =
    >PDFs)?
    >
    >Are you allowed to print? If so print to the Text Only printer and send =
    >to File.

    Yea, I'll just install an ASCII printer. I've done that before.

    Thanks

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    I found it at google and can View As HTML. But IE struggles with it. It also just deleted everything I typed.

    BAN FU*KING PDFS (I've had this problem before)./

    The collapse of the World Trade Towers (WTC), in the aftermath of the 9-11terrorist attacks, is one of the most catastrophic political, economic, and social disasters to ever occur in America. Ramifications from the collapse are both far reaching, and long lasting, and are expected to have an impact on the lives of the citizens of the United States, and indeed of the world, for the foreseeable future. Sadly, the death of 26541innocent individuals in Manhattan was celebrated as a great victory by supporters of Al Qaeda around the world. There is little doubt that further innocent deaths related to 9-11 would add to the prestige andinfluence of Al Qaeda, increasing their ability to recruit new martyrs and to continue and even expand their attacks on the West. It is imperative that we prevent further deaths related to 9-11 from happening. But are future deaths and injuries likely as a result of the terrorist attack of 9-11? Can we establish that contamination from the dust of the collapse of the towers might be the cause of future health problemsamong residents andrescue workers?We know that the graycloud which covered lower Manhattan on 9-11, andthe immediate aftermath,contained a variety of substances that are usually injurious to human health. These included traces of glass shards, asbestos, fiberglass, pulverized concrete, lead, mercury, cadmium, dioxins, PCB’s, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as well as benzene.2Significant media attention has already been directed at the short term health impact of exposure to this concoction. It now appears that many first responders, cleanup crews and local residents have fallen ill with a variety of 1“The World Trade Center” Sad News Dot Net Weekly2“Fallout”, Jennifer Senior, New Yorker Magazine, September 20,2004, P 4Figure 2: The 9-11 dust cloud advances – Photo Bill Biggart © 2001

    In article <11am8k5tjs245c2@corp.supernews.com>,
    Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
    >My computer does the work, not me. :-)
    >After the conversion you could find what you want with a find.
    >
    >It would be a good test for the pdf program I brag about, PDF-XChange.
    >
    >'Still willing to give it a try.
    >

    >--
    >Don
    >Vancouver, USA

    I can report that Don's software was able to extract the ascii in my
    pdf when no other tool I demo'd could. It also extracted the imbedded
    images into seperate files which I have not looked at yet.

    Thanks for the test drive. His web site describes his software.

    http://www.docu-track.com/

    I have no association with Don other than taking him up
    on his offer to test it against my pdf file.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Thanks for the thanks Al, but the http://www.docu-track.com/ isn't my site,
    it's the site of the company that offers PDF-XChange and the Tools package
    that extracted the text and images from your pdf file.

    My site is www.vanusa.org

    Commercials over. All have a good day.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    > In article <11am8k5tjs245c2@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
    >>My computer does the work, not me. :-)
    >>After the conversion you could find what you want with a find.
    >>
    >>It would be a good test for the pdf program I brag about, PDF-XChange.
    >>
    >>'Still willing to give it a try.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Don
    >>Vancouver, USA
    >

    > I can report that Don's software was able to extract the ascii in my
    > pdf when no other tool I demo'd could. It also extracted the imbedded
    > images into seperate files which I have not looked at yet.
    >
    > Thanks for the test drive. His web site describes his software.
    >
    > http://www.docu-track.com/
    >
    > I have no association with Don other than taking him up
    > on his offer to test it against my pdf file.
    >
    > --
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

PDF Format Windows XP