Don't like the Windows Update for new install of XP at all

There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a choice
of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the later
leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a prune
first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most of
these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine day
for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works and
when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the thing
which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no that's
just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
"update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

    George;
    You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    George Hester wrote:

    > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a choice
    > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the later
    > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a prune
    > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most of
    > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine day
    > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works and
    > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the thing
    > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no that's
    > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________

    To download indivicual updates click "Details" in the description for
    each, then on the KB article or bulletin. There should be a link to
    download the file w/o installing it.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer with
    virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..

    You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of updates.
    If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that you
    want.

    Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask for
    help?

    Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    people's computers!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > choice
    > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > later
    > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > prune
    > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most of
    > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > day
    > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works and
    > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > thing
    > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no that's
    > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________

    Actually, Richard, if you have been paying attention here at
    all, you would know that George has been offering lots of
    help on the W2K groups for years, and does not waste my time
    with posts such as your last one here that offers no useful
    info at all...

    Might I suggest that you follow your own advice and
    "disconnect from the internet now" before you annoy
    me further...

    > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer
    with
    > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    >
    > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of updates.
    > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that you
    > want.
    >
    > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask
    for
    > help?
    >
    > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > people's computers!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > > choice
    > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > > later
    > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > > prune
    > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    of
    > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > > day
    > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    and
    > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > > thing
    > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    that's
    > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________

    Amen Richard
    Roy

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer with
    > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    >
    > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of updates.
    > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that you
    > want.
    >
    > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask for
    > help?
    >
    > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > people's computers!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > > choice
    > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > > later
    > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > > prune
    > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most of
    > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > > day
    > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works and
    > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > > thing
    > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no that's
    > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________

    There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same thing.
    A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    > There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    > Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same
    > thing.
    > A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.

    Click on Custom Install. Wait while it finds the updates. Look at the left
    hand side of the window. Click on Review high priority updates or Select
    optional software updates or etc. etc. There is another option near the
    bottom left - Help and support.

    Kerry

    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> George;
    >> You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    >> Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    >> > choice
    >> > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    >> > later
    >> > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    >> > prune
    >> > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    >> > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    > of
    >> > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a
    >> > fine
    >> > day
    >> > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    > and
    >> > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    >> > thing
    >> > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    > that's
    >> > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    >> > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of
    >> > the
    >> > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > George Hester
    >> > _______________________________

    [[What’s the difference between Express and Custom?

    Express (recommended) displays all high priority updates for your computer
    so that you can install them with one click. This is the quickest and
    easiest way to keep your computer up to date.

    Custom displays high priority and optional updates for your computer. You
    review and select the updates that you want to install, one by one.

    How can I get more information about an update before I install it?
    Click the name of each update to view its description. To view system
    requirements and support information, click the Details link provided in
    each description. ]]

    Microsoft Windows Update Frequently Asked Questions
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/about.aspx?ln=en-us

    What's New on Windows Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/whatsnewforwu.mspx

    Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft
    software updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824684

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23Z92Y3obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    > Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same
    > thing. A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> George;
    >> You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    >> Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    >>> choice
    >>> of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    >>> later
    >>> leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    >>> prune
    >>> first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    >>> Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    >>> of these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a
    >>> fine day
    >>> for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    >>> and when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install
    >>> the thing
    >>> which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    >>> that's just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think
    >>> every "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end
    >>> of the Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> George Hester
    >>> _______________________________

    Don't have any of that. What I do have on the right is "To use this later
    version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its components.
    This version provides you sosme of the following enhancements to our
    service:
    blah blah blah...
    Install Now...
    On the left nothing that you mention except Help and Support.

    As I said I do not like installing Phantom Software. If you can assure me
    that I am not going to get SP2 or IE updates doing this I'll go ahead and do
    it. Will this require a reboot?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    > Don't have any of that. What I do have on the right is "To use this later
    > version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its
    > components.
    > This version provides you sosme of the following enhancements to our
    > service:
    > blah blah blah...
    > Install Now...
    > On the left nothing that you mention except Help and Support.
    >
    > As I said I do not like installing Phantom Software. If you can assure me
    > that I am not going to get SP2 or IE updates doing this I'll go ahead and
    > do
    > it. Will this require a reboot?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester

    That is to install the latest version of the Windows Update software. It
    installs one update only i.e. new version of Windows Update. If you don't
    want to install that then no you won't be able to access the Windows Update
    site. Once you install it you will get all the options to install the OS
    updates as mentioned in all the other posts.

    Kerry

    > _______________________________
    >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    >> > Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same
    >> > thing.
    >> > A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.
    >> >

    >> Click on Custom Install. Wait while it finds the updates. Look at the
    >> left
    >> hand side of the window. Click on Review high priority updates or Select
    >> optional software updates or etc. etc. There is another option near the
    >> bottom left - Help and support.
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>

    >> > --
    >> > George Hester
    >> > _______________________________
    >> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

    > and
    > most
    >> > of
    > works
    >> > and
    > the
    >> > that's

    Well here there is no difference. Both lead to exactly the same thing. I
    have no options for both except to Install Now. It may be that I need to
    Install Now to update Windows Compnents Update. Trouble is I don't know what
    it's going to do. I don't know if I'll have to reboot. I don't know if it
    is going to update IE. I just don't know.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    blah blah blah get lost.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer
    with
    > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    >
    > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of updates.
    > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that you
    > want.
    >
    > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask
    for
    > help?
    >
    > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > people's computers!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > > choice
    > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > > later
    > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > > prune
    > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    of
    > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > > day
    > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    and
    > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > > thing
    > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    that's
    > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________

    Up yours
    Roy

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > blah blah blah get lost.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer
    > with
    > > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    > >
    > > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of updates.
    > > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that you
    > > want.
    > >
    > > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask
    > for
    > > help?
    > >
    > > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > > people's computers!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > > > choice
    > > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > > > later
    > > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > > > prune
    > > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    > of
    > > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > > > day
    > > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    > and
    > > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > > > thing
    > > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    > that's
    > > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > George Hester
    > > > _______________________________

    none of that. Install Now and that is it.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > George Hester wrote:
    >
    > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    choice
    > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    later
    > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    prune
    > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    of
    > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    day
    > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    and
    > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    thing
    > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    that's
    > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > >

    > To download indivicual updates click "Details" in the description for
    > each, then on the KB article or bulletin. There should be a link to
    > download the file w/o installing it.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Why don't you just take a aerial seduction at a motivating pastry and see
    what that gets you. pos
    Roy

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > none of that. Install Now and that is it.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > George Hester wrote:
    > >
    > > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > choice
    > > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > later
    > > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > prune
    > > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    > of
    > > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a fine
    > day
    > > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    > and
    > > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > thing
    > > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    > that's
    > > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of the
    > > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > George Hester
    > > > _______________________________
    > > >

    > > To download indivicual updates click "Details" in the description for
    > > each, then on the KB article or bulletin. There should be a link to
    > > download the file w/o installing it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rock
    > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:13:13 -0600, "Jupiter Jones
    [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    |George;
    |You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    |Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.
    also u can hide 1's that r N/A so u dont see them
    again unless u want 2.

    Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    George;
    You first need to install the latest Windows update software.
    Until you do that no updates can be viewed or installed.
    The latest Windows Update software and nothing else will be installed.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    > Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same
    > thing.
    > A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> George;
    >> You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    >> Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    >> > choice
    >> > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    >> > later
    >> > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    >> > prune
    >> > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    >> > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    > of
    >> > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a
    >> > fine
    >> > day
    >> > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    > and
    >> > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    >> > thing
    >> > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    > that's
    >> > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    >> > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of
    >> > the
    >> > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > George Hester
    >> > _______________________________

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

    Get a life, George.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    George Hester wrote:
> [...]

    OK I just had to make sure I wasn't going to get anything else than what it
    says. You may think I am paranoid but Kerry I can tell you many things
    downloadable from Microsoft that never make mention of "other" stuff that
    gets installed often without the ability to stop it besides pulling the
    plug. And that I did not want to do.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Don't have any of that. What I do have on the right is "To use this
    later
    > > version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its
    > > components.
    > > This version provides you sosme of the following enhancements to our
    > > service:
    > > blah blah blah...
    > > Install Now...
    > > On the left nothing that you mention except Help and Support.
    > >
    > > As I said I do not like installing Phantom Software. If you can assure
    me
    > > that I am not going to get SP2 or IE updates doing this I'll go ahead
    and
    > > do
    > > it. Will this require a reboot?
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    >
    > That is to install the latest version of the Windows Update software. It
    > installs one update only i.e. new version of Windows Update. If you don't
    > want to install that then no you won't be able to access the Windows
    Update
    > site. Once you install it you will get all the options to install the OS
    > updates as mentioned in all the other posts.
    >
    > Kerry
    >
    > > _______________________________
    > > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
    > >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Custom

    > >> Click on Custom Install. Wait while it finds the updates. Look at the
    > >> left
    > >> hand side of the window. Click on Review high priority updates or
    Select
    > >> optional software updates or etc. etc. There is another option near the
    > >> bottom left - Help and support.
    > >>
    > >> Kerry

    > > and
    > > most
    > > works
    > > the

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >none of that. Install Now and that is it.

    Hi George.

    Can you take a screen shot of the Windows Update screen that you are
    getting, save it as a .jpg file and then either email it to me or
    upload it to a web site and post or email the URL?

    That will help identify what is going on.

    Thanks.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > OK I just had to make sure I wasn't going to get anything else than what
    > it
    > says. You may think I am paranoid but Kerry I can tell you many things
    > downloadable from Microsoft that never make mention of "other" stuff that
    > gets installed often without the ability to stop it besides pulling the
    > plug. And that I did not want to do.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester

    Not paranoid at all. The first time I saw it I wondered what was happening
    as well. I always test Windows Updates on a test system first. Not everyone
    has that luxury.

    Kerry

    > _______________________________
    >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Don't have any of that. What I do have on the right is "To use this
    > later
    >> > version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its
    >> > components.
    >> > This version provides you sosme of the following enhancements to our
    >> > service:
    >> > blah blah blah...
    >> > Install Now...
    >> > On the left nothing that you mention except Help and Support.
    >> >
    >> > As I said I do not like installing Phantom Software. If you can assure
    > me
    >> > that I am not going to get SP2 or IE updates doing this I'll go ahead
    > and
    >> > do
    >> > it. Will this require a reboot?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > George Hester
    >>
    >> That is to install the latest version of the Windows Update software. It
    >> installs one update only i.e. new version of Windows Update. If you don't
    >> want to install that then no you won't be able to access the Windows
    > Update
    >> site. Once you install it you will get all the options to install the OS
    >> updates as mentioned in all the other posts.
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>
    >> > _______________________________
    >> > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
    > Custom

    > Select

    > on
    >> > and
    >> > most
    >> > works
    >> > the
    > of

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Actually what is installed is Background Intelligence Transfer and a WinHTTP
    thingy. I also had to restart. Oh well.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > George;
    > You first need to install the latest Windows update software.
    > Until you do that no updates can be viewed or installed.
    > The latest Windows Update software and nothing else will be installed.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There is no scroll. I told you exactly what I get. Two options Custom
    > > Install and Express Install. Nothing else and both lead to the same
    > > thing.
    > > A button that says Install Now. That is it nothing more.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > >> George;
    > >> You can de-select any or all updates you do not want.
    > >> Scroll the list on the bottom and select as desired.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org
    > >>

    > >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > of
    > > and
    > > that's

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What do you mean?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "RoyC" <RoyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Why don't you just take a aerial seduction at a motivating pastry and see
    > what that gets you. pos
    > Roy
    >
    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > none of that. Install Now and that is it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    > > choice
    > > later
    > > prune
    > > of
    > > day
    > > and
    > > thing
    > > that's

    > > > To download indivicual updates click "Details" in the description for
    > > > each, then on the KB article or bulletin. There should be a link to
    > > > download the file w/o installing it.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Rock
    > > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Got one to spare PA Bear?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525
    >
    > Get a life, George.
    > --
    > ~PA Bear

    Microsoft

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    yeah i like that more!!!

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Up yours
    > Roy
    >
    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > blah blah blah get lost.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who
    don't
    > > > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer
    > > with
    > > > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    > > >
    > > > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of
    updates.
    > > > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that
    you
    > > > want.
    > > >
    > > > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just
    ask
    > > for
    > > > help?
    > > >
    > > > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > > > people's computers!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Richard Urban
    > > >
    > > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > > >

    > > > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > of
    > > and
    > > that's

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Vance Microsoft kicking brings out the worst in some people. They find it
    hard to understand that we all aren't happy with some of the things they do.
    Paul will install things from Microsoft without understanding what he is
    installing. That's fine and I don't knock those that do. What I do is say
    it is the wrong thing to do and he doesn't like that and so it goes.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Actually, Richard, if you have been paying attention here at
    > all, you would know that George has been offering lots of
    > help on the W2K groups for years, and does not waste my time
    > with posts such as your last one here that offers no useful
    > info at all...
    >
    > Might I suggest that you follow your own advice and
    > "disconnect from the internet now" before you annoy
    > me further...

    > > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer
    > with
    > > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..
    > >
    > > You obviously don't know much about your system, or THE system of
    updates.
    > > If you did you would know that you and download only the updates that
    you
    > > want.
    > >
    > > Instead of coming here and planting poor advise, why don't you just ask
    > for
    > > help?
    > >
    > > Please, disconnect from the internet now before you compromise other
    > > people's computers!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > There seems to be no way to d/l and install what I choose. I have a
    > > > choice
    > > > of two ways to go; Express Install; and Custom Install. Choosing the
    > > > later
    > > > leads to a screen Install Now. Not on your life. I'd rather gag on a
    > > > prune
    > > > first. So let's see about Express Install...same thing. Download and
    > > > Install Now! No not gonna happen. The day Microsoft learns that most
    > of
    > > > these updates are not worth the bytes they are written on will be a
    fine
    > > > day
    > > > for PC users. I'll just stay where I am I don't care everything works
    > and
    > > > when I find something that doesn't work then I'd prefer to install the
    > > > thing
    > > > which fixes it. But if I have to d/l and install Phantom fixes no
    > that's
    > > > just dumb. When PC users come to understand this and not think every
    > > > "update" they see from Microsoft is like a Pot O' Gold at the end of
    the
    > > > Rainbow there will be a lot less frustrated users on Earth.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > George Hester
    > > > _______________________________

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Richard Urban wrote:

    > I am so very glad that everyone is NOT like you. It is people who don't
    > apply the security updates that are infecting everyone else's computer with
    > virus's, trojans, spyware, dialers, key loggers etc..

    As an aside, posts made in haste happen no big deal. Just a note that
    you dont need to apply MS security updates to prevent infecting other
    peoples pcs. In other words, one can prevent a pc from getting infected
    if you dont have the latest security updates. In addition, even with the
    latest updates, there are, and always will be, nasty boys who write
    stuff to get around it.

    It's like the vermin that live under my front porch. I plug up the
    holes, and 2 weeks later they find a new spot to dig in.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Not anymore Ron. The issue I was talking about is well known from above.
    I must download and install some basic Windows Update files. They are BITS
    and WinHTTP. They now show in my Download History. I didn't know only that
    would happen and I have to make darn sure I apply these things knowing full
    well the ramifications of them. The ramifications of my NOT doing so at
    this point are less risky then doing so.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >none of that. Install Now and that is it.
    >

    > Hi George.
    >
    > Can you take a screen shot of the Windows Update screen that you are
    > getting, save it as a .jpg file and then either email it to me or
    > upload it to a web site and post or email the URL?
    >
    > That will help identify what is going on.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP