U9 help with gold...

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Ok I decided to give U9 one more chance to relive that old Ultima feeling,
I'm not sure I'll find it here. May have to fire up the 486 and launch the
originals.

So I need help with money/gold with the game. I have, so far, 743 gold on my
person, and I want to take it out and puit it down someplace, mayhaps in a
chest in the castle.
How can I do this?

Thnx in Advance

Soryu...

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:50:27 GMT, "Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ok I decided to give U9 one more chance to relive that old Ultima feeling,
>I'm not sure I'll find it here. May have to fire up the 486 and launch the
>originals.
>
>So I need help with money/gold with the game. I have, so far, 743 gold on my
>person, and I want to take it out and puit it down someplace, mayhaps in a
>chest in the castle.
>How can I do this?

You can't. When you get to 9999 gold any extra gold you get just falls to
the ground. I recently played U9 again and by the end of the game I had
about 40 piles of gold outside the shops in Britain. You can pick up and
move gold piles pretty easily so I moved them out to the street in front
of each shop so I could pick them up when I needed more gold easily.

Of course with that much extra gold I never really picked any up after a
certain point. I was toying with "leap frogging" the piles to my room in
the castle to make a huge gold hoard but I never did do that.

You can make a lot of money from all the gems in Deceit (the flooded
dungeon anyhow - I think that's Deceit). But really with so much other
gold, it's easier to just make a pile of gems and sell them only when you
need gold.

No, the mean lady sweeping the street won't steal your gold piles. They
are quite safe.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

So how were you able to get the piles of gold outside of the shops?
I understand that there is a limit to the amount of gold you can carry, in
all honesty I was hoping for more of a traditional Gold/money system where
you could hord all your treasures and gold.

In U6 and through out U7 I had piles if not a room full of gold and gems,
etc...
It looked very kewl. But it seems we can not do that in this game.

Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
complete interactive world.
I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects of
such things that are gone in U9. :(

Soryu...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:13:56 GMT, "Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>So how were you able to get the piles of gold outside of the shops?
>I understand that there is a limit to the amount of gold you can carry, in
>all honesty I was hoping for more of a traditional Gold/money system where
>you could hord all your treasures and gold.

The piles of gold can be picked up and moved just like any other objects.
Instead of picking up a pile of gold and dropping it on the Avatar or on
the backpack, just move the mouse pointer+gold pile (keeping the pointer
green and within range) and drop the gold where you want.

>In U6 and through out U7 I had piles if not a room full of gold and gems,
>etc...
>It looked very kewl. But it seems we can not do that in this game.

You should be able to do that but it will take some time to move the gold
that way.

>Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
>complete interactive world.
>I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects of
>such things that are gone in U9. :(

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Holy moly, the that would have to be a lot of gold to do that with.

Now how is the gold piles created? Is it when you find them?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:34:52 GMT, "Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Holy moly, the that would have to be a lot of gold to do that with.
>
>Now how is the gold piles created? Is it when you find them?

Whenever you kill a monster you get a small pile. If you have 9999 gold
and sell something any gold over 9999 falls to the ground in a pile.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <ocxLd.90744$Ob.27551@edtnps84>, Soryu Dragon wrote:
> Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
> complete interactive world.
> I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects of
> such things that are gone in U9. :(

You can indeed make your own bread in U9. In fact, you can even alter the
ingredients to make different kinds... :)

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:31:14 +0100, Tristan Miller
<psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote:

>Greetings.
>
>In article <ocxLd.90744$Ob.27551@edtnps84>, Soryu Dragon wrote:
>> Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
>> complete interactive world.
>> I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects of
>> such things that are gone in U9. :(
>
>You can indeed make your own bread in U9. In fact, you can even alter the
>ingredients to make different kinds... :)

Lord British doesn't like poisoned bread...

--

Soryu Dragon wrote:
> Holy moly, the that would have to be a lot of gold to do that with.
>
> Now how is the gold piles created? Is it when you find them?
>
> Soryu...

Crabs are also full of juicy gold!

Magnetic Dragon.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:00:05 GMT, David Gardner <taffydSPAM@sydmud.com>
wrote:

>Soryu Dragon wrote:
>> Holy moly, the that would have to be a lot of gold to do that with.
>>
>> Now how is the gold piles created? Is it when you find them?
>>
>> Soryu...
>
>Crabs are also full of juicy gold!

And plate armor. (My favorite)

--

David Gardner wrote:

> Crabs are also full of juicy gold!

Yes, it'a shame about that. When I first played U9, I wandered around
completely lost and came across the levitating crab near Iolo's place.
It slaughtered me. A little later I tried to fight them with every
weapon at me disposal (which wasn't much) and deemed them invincible.
Thereafter I fled in terror of crabs until I had the bladed staff.

Then the roles were reversed.. especially with the lightning sword.
Hell.. you can slice the crab open and walk though it without even
breaking stride. My brother even began referring to them as
'piggybanks' owing to the ease with which you could harvest them for
gold.

I miss fleeing from them in utter terror, though.

> Magnetic Dragon.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> Hell.. you can slice the crab open and walk though it without even
> breaking stride. My brother even began referring to them as

This is the worst side of U9. Linear dependence of Avatar strength on plot
advancement.

--
Max

Words to the wise, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>Lord British doesn't like poisoned bread...

You like poisoned bread then? Yesh, that would explain a few things

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Far as I know..it's 9999 and that's it. You can pile it up and move it
around like any othe object - for what it's worth. Train alot..spend
it down.

rgds

-=Lydian Dragon=-

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

"Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip'd>

> Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
> complete interactive world.
> I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects of
> such things that are gone in U9. :(
>
> Soryu...

Actually... you _can_ make bread in U9, it's just not the most intuitive
thing :x IIRC in the Britain bakery, thers' a book detailing how to do it,
but getting flasks of water and eggss to do it is the hard part. And trying
to slip the pan in the oven....stupid camera angles >_<
--
Mah'Kina Dragon -=(UDIC)=-

de++ N+ T Om++ u++ uC++ uF+++ uG+++ uLB+ uA+ a30
UK1!2!3!4!5!6!W!M!A!7!'!L!S!'!8!9! o-oA++oE++ z++

You ask me why/I don't behave like you/Don't see your point of view/It's not
my way....to be...

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth "Mah' Kina Dragon" <mahkina@mindspring.com>:
> Actually... you _can_ make bread in U9, it's just not the most
> intuitive thing :x IIRC in the Britain bakery, thers' a book
> detailing how to do it, but getting flasks of water and eggss to
> do it is the hard part. And trying to slip the pan in the
> oven....stupid camera angles >_<

Yes, but the bread-baking was pretty much a sop to the fans who
complained it wasn't initially planned for the game, if memory serves.
It certainly wasn't indicative of the interaction generally available
through the game world.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

"Samurai" <nospam@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth "Mah' Kina Dragon" <mahkina@mindspring.com>:
>> Actually... you _can_ make bread in U9, it's just not the most
>> intuitive thing :x IIRC in the Britain bakery, thers' a book
>> detailing how to do it, but getting flasks of water and eggss to
>> do it is the hard part. And trying to slip the pan in the
>> oven....stupid camera angles >_<
>
> Yes, but the bread-baking was pretty much a sop to the fans who
> complained it wasn't initially planned for the game, if memory serves.
> It certainly wasn't indicative of the interaction generally available
> through the game world.

*nods* It definitely wasn't like Ultima VII, where you could crank out
bread like a dedicated baker. (Now, if there had been anyone whom you could
have bought eggs from... maybe the farmer who owned the goat... that might
have changed things somewhat. *sighs* And, of course, bags of flour!
After the miller returned, in theory the code could have been put in to
allow one to buy bags of flour from him. Water one could just get through
the normal method. *tries to remember if reagents or anything else stacked
or not, and if (similar?) eggs could have stacked thus*

--
The Triad

In article <QBrCe.6186$BK1.3412@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Mah'
Kina Dragon wrote:

> "Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip'd>
>
>> Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
>> complete interactive world.
>> I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects
>> of such things that are gone in U9. :(
>>
>> Soryu...
>
> Actually... you _can_ make bread in U9, it's just not the most intuitive
> thing :x

Are you kidding? Out of all the Ultimas, making bread in U9 is the
easiest! Simply switch on the Avatar's electric bread maker and out pops
the bread! :)

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

"Tristan Miller" <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> wrote in message
> Greetings.
>
> In article <QBrCe.6186$BK1.3412@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Mah'
> Kina Dragon wrote:
>

>> "Soryu Dragon" <soryudragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <snip'd>
>>
>>> Also, on a side note, U9 seems to have taken awy Garriot's idea of a
>>> complete interactive world.
>>> I remember making my own bread in the U7 series. But there are aspects
>>> of such things that are gone in U9. :(
>>>
>>> Soryu...
>>
>> Actually... you _can_ make bread in U9, it's just not the most intuitive
>> thing :x
>
> Are you kidding? Out of all the Ultimas, making bread in U9 is the
> easiest! Simply switch on the Avatar's electric bread maker and out pops
> the bread! :)

*laughs*

Good point. Now, just demonstrate how to take the bread maker /with/ you...
and, for that matter, find somewhere to plug it in.

--
The Triad

psz wrote:

>> Good point. Now, just demonstrate how to take the bread maker /with/
>> you... and, for that matter, find somewhere to plug it in.
>>
>> --
>> The Triad
>
> Very easy: Turn on Fly mode, hop the fence in the front yard, use the
> teleporter, and you now have bread in Britannia.

He meant the bread maker, not just the bread..

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org