Windows 7 quick question!

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi!

Ive just purchased Windows 7 32 Bit Home 'Upgrade' edition from a really cheap student offer.
I downloaded the Digial file in ISO format so i can burn it to a dvd later to install it.

Im running windows xp right now, but i want to have a fresh install of windows 7.
Would i be able to use the windows 7 dvd to 'boot from dvd drive' in dos mode from
start up like you would install xp on a blank hard drive?

I want to just wipe my hard drive clean, and start all over with windows 7.
only problem i can see is i purchased the upgrade edition, which was a 2.4GB download.

Is this going to be a problem? My system consists of the following: Core i5 750, 2GB DDR3 Ram,
GTS 250 512mb, 500GB HDD, etc.

Cheers!

Solution

Someone else asked this same question and I have no idea. All I can say is, contact Microsoft and see what they say. I don't know how you get the download link (if it's emailed to you, you log into an account, etc) since...
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

With a upgrade version isn't possible do a fresh installation, but you can try this:

Download or borrow a Win 7 DVD of the same version that you have and do the installation with this BUT with the key of your Upgrade version. This is legal.

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
thanks guys, just another real quick question, i (kinda by mistake) downloaded the 32bit edition of windows 7, and i was wondering if i could upgrade it to the 64 bit version. I know ill need to do a clean install to get it, but since i already have paid for the windows 7 product key, could i just re download the 64bit edition for free off Microsoft?

Ive got a pretty new pc, Core i5, DDR3 ram, blah blah blah, is it in my best interest to update to 64bit edition?

btw, im actually really enjoying windows 7!!!

isamuelson

Distinguished

Someone else asked this same question and I have no idea. All I can say is, contact Microsoft and see what they say. I don't know how you get the download link (if it's emailed to you, you log into an account, etc) since I've never ordered Windows directly from Microsoft to download. If it's like their Windows Live stuff, the download link always exists. You just log in using your Windows Live account and you can download as much as you want. If that's how it works for you, just log back into your account and see if the 64-bit link is still there.

Solution