Sennheiser HD-570 repair

Last response: in Home Audio
February 8, 2005 4:02:20 AM

Hello!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-570 headphones, which I love, but they
recently lost sound on the right side. I've confirmed with a meter
that the replacable cord is in good shape, so the problem must be
internal to the headphones.

Does anyone know how to take these apart? I can't seem to find a way
to get inside these things to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

More about : sennheiser 570 repair

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:00:10 AM

take off the ear pads and you will probably find screws underneath.

Gareth.

"scottm" <smurawski@meditech.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-570 headphones, which I love, but they
> recently lost sound on the right side. I've confirmed with a meter
> that the replacable cord is in good shape, so the problem must be
> internal to the headphones.
>
> Does anyone know how to take these apart? I can't seem to find a way
> to get inside these things to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Scott
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:42:21 AM

scottm wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-570 headphones, which I love, but they
> recently lost sound on the right side. I've confirmed with a meter
> that the replacable cord is in good shape, so the problem must be
> internal to the headphones.

If they're like my HD540 Mk2 phones, the earpads clip off, then the
driver unit itself can be levered out of the backshell with a very small
screwdriver. It all goes back together agin without problem.

However, you don't get any better access to the connectors, which are
deep in a moulded plastic surround. My connections have been the least
reliable part of these cans. I've found that gentle scraping with a
*really* small flat-blade screwdriver cleans them up for a bit.

I've thought about cleaning the metal with a drop of Coke on a needle,
or something.

Of course, if your connection has totally failed, you may want to try to
carve open the plastic and see what's going on. No guarantees what
you'll find, or if you'll be able to fix it!

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Thanks to both who responded!! Very helpful!

Scott
December 10, 2009 10:52:40 PM

Ok,

Thank you very much for the information. A lot of the parts on the headphones are excellent quality clip-together pieces.

It turns out that the connector for the right headphone is extremely loose. Mine fell out on the Sennheiser HD-570 headphones that I got 8 years ago.

Fact: The connector is easily accessible by using a small flat-head screwdriver to remove the dome shaped cover on the back of the headphone. There are small clip-hole-rectangles that allow for easy removal of the dome while doing no damage to the plastic. Simply plug the connector back in, to get the headphones working again.

These headphones are no HD-650's but they are still working very well after 8 years of use.

They have proved that the HD-650's may very likely be worth the $500 price tag.

Headphones now fixed, and I am very happy.

All the very best,

JohnPaul Adamovsky - www.pathcom.com/~vadco/deep.html
January 26, 2010 10:08:30 AM

I have the same Sennheiser HD 570 hooked right into my Denon 4308,I also have a Sony wireless dolby headphone that sits on the charger because I rather use the HD 570 because they are a very quality headphone. Why Sennheiser doesn't make them anymore was not because they were no good it was a market type of thing the company did because of the closeness in the price range of other headphones that are newer. As far as I can tell there are others that think they should of kept this model. This is my home theater headphone set for using to listen to music and movies in Virtual Surround. If your receiver has this setting Virtual or Stereo setting you will have a surround sound with clarity for hearing vocals and Movie sound tracks. I could not beleive the sound I was hearing with my receiver and the HD 570. I have had them for 4 years now and I don't blame you for getting them fixed. You got a hell of a headphone. I own 4 others that don't match the HD570.

Hello!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-570 headphones, which I love, but they
recently lost sound on the right side. I've confirmed with a meter
that the replacable cord is in good shape, so the problem must be
internal to the headphones.

Does anyone know how to take these apart? I can't seem to find a way
to get inside these things to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Scott[/quotemsg]
February 3, 2010 6:32:43 PM

I am having troubles taking the foam earpads off. If anyone can provide suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
February 26, 2010 7:41:04 PM

I just did this last night and that was indeed the problem.

The rounded cup part on the outside of the muff just snaps off as you would expect. It's not held by the support arm as it appears so just go ahead and remove it. I took off the bottom V-shaped plastic cover too and it may help accessing the other part to remove. My wire was disconnected (2 prong connector) and seems just by dropping them it can fall out. I bent the wires every so little, pinched them together a tiny amount to hopefully hold them in better.

Really simple fix, and saved me the $59 that Sennheiser wants to repair them. I'd been miffed if I found out that's all they had to do to fix it and charged me for it.

James
October 3, 2010 1:15:43 PM

I just wanted to thank the posters in this thread for the advice. My 12 year-old Sennheiser HD 570's lost audio in the right ear, and I figured the wire had shorted at some point in the framework and would be impossible to fix. But on a chance and on the advice of other posters here, I used a screwdriver to snap the lower half of the outer ring and the dome off with a screwdriver and found that the cord had simply become unplugged inside. The fix was easier than the disassembly, and my headphones are now working as before. For headphones with almost 100% replaceable auxiliary parts, this is a fairly surprising weak point.
January 1, 2011 1:09:37 PM

To all contributers: Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences on repairing a Sennheiser HD570!!!
Mine was broken too: no left channel, and thanks to your tips I dared to open the shells and managed to fix the loose connector.
I'm now enjoying the beautiful sound again.
:-)
Balt
March 15, 2011 10:19:27 PM

I had precisely the same problem. Thank you!
!