Installing Windows 7 from bootable 2.0 USB by 3.0 USB port

langfusu100

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hi, I'm attemping to do a clean install on my ASUS UX32VD-DB71. The problem is that there is no disc drive on the laptop, and all 3 of the USB ports are 3.0. But as you guys may know, a USB 3.0 port isn't loaded until Windows has booted. Still, the bootable 2.0 USB was able to boot, but after a few clicks "Next", a window appeared saying ""A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." It seems like the installer doesn't detect my 2.0 USB.

Any help please! I have an external DVD drive, but I also want to learn how to solve the problem.

skaz

Distinguished
When it ask for the driver hit cancel, you should be brought back to the welcome screen. Now unplug the USB stick and plug it into a different USB port. Then select install again. You should be gold after that.

langfusu100

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
sorry that I didn't mention it, but yeah, I dowloaded the iso from digital river, and used the official tool to make the usb.

I recently did some research, many people issued the same problem. One solution I found is putting the USB 3.0 driver into the installation stick. Here is the quote:
Additionally, there has been reports that if you use a USB-stick to install Windows 7 it can complain that 'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing...' during install and won't let you proceed. This is because the Windows 7 install does not contain USB3 drivers to work properly with USB-sticks, and needs them loaded separately. Download the USB3_Intel_Win7_64_Z104225.zip package from Asus UX32VD driver page and extract it either to your USB windows 7 installation stick or any other media. Then you just point Windows 7 to that driver folder when it asks you to. Windows 7 should proceed to install as normal.

I did follow the instruction, but nothing changed. Maybe I misundertood the instruction somewhere. The part "Then you just point Windows 7 to that driver folder when it asks you to" is confusing to me. The flash stick won't be showed up, so how can I "point" the installer "to that driver" ? I also enabled the USB Legacy in the BIOS

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Well, booting is done in the following way:
1. BIOS loads BOOTMGR (whether EFI or BIOS emulation...does not matter).
2. BOOTMGR loads the boot.wim image in RAM (reads it through BIOS/UEFI driver)
3. BOOTMGR gives control to the extracted-in-RAM image - at this point, the USB3 is lost as windows will kill all BIOS/UEFI control

So if you can see the HDD, I would recommend to put the driver on the HDD. Also, I see the laptop has a sd-card reader....maybe you could try with the driver on a sd-card (maybe it's a USB2 sd-card reader connected to a USB2 port).

langfusu100

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
well, I'm gonna replace the HDD by a SSD, and I want to install Windows on that SSD. So there is no use putting the driver on the HDD. And I tried the SD slot, not working either. It says " SD Card Read Error. Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."

igormf

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Guys, as I've searched a Thousand pages looking for a solution, I've found that the real bad guy here is really the USB 3.0 drivers that DO NOT come bundled in the Windows boot disks and it gets lost searching for its own installation files after booting...

There are 2 possible solutions: switch to a USB 2.0 usb stick and it goes like a breeze.... OR.... if you are like me and have ONLY 3.0 ports, download the 3.0 controller drivers and unzip all its files to the C: drive

click search, go through the drivers you downloaded and click next, it'll find the drivers, "install them" and come back with the same error again.

THIS TIME, since the drivers ARE installed, you should unplug the stick and plug it back in... click next and it should work.

Easy like a fatality...

NotOneOfYou

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Ran into the same issue. Started searching the net. Things pointed to USB 3.0. Went into the BIOS and disabled USB 3.0 and ensured there was a USB Legacy. This worked. Then after imaging, going back and re-enabling the USB 3.0 in the BIOS.

Hope this helps someone.

kishlaya

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014

how did you disable usb 3.0?

yourwings

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
I know the issue is old ... But just wasted 8 hours on my LAP on it ...

in my ASUS UX303LN there were two options in the BIOS. I have set both of them two "AUTO". And then it worked .... Even my ASUS has ONLY USB 3.0 ports.

It does not ask for a driver anymore.

info AT yourwings.ch

BogdanO

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I had the same issue and only USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.
What worked for me was to go to BIOS and disable the XHCI (which is the USB 3.0 controller). Afterwards, (I think) my USB ports acted just like 2.0 ones as I was able to boot from the stick without any issues.

I hope this can help someone...I spent half a day trying to solve this problem. There are other solutions out there also (adding your USB drivers in the windows distribution) so good luck!

Of course I enabled the USB ports in BIOS again afterwards (when windows finished installing)

brentalous

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for this. So silly, but simple.

liam1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

This is the only solution that worked for me. My BIOS didnt have any of the options people who fixed it that way did. I lukcily had an old version of windows on the hard drive i could repair, to download and copy usb 3 driver to c/. Then i found the folder that contained the exe i assume " x64" installed the driver that popped up. When i removed and plugged back in the usb after it went straight through.
Thanks heaps!

Jon Deaux

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

YES SIR! Worked like a champ!
For those asking:
You have to make sure to press F12 upon reboot and go into the Bios setup. (On a newer Dell)
System Configuration \ USB Configuration
Deselect 'Enable USB3.0 Controller'
Reboot with your USB 2.0 sticks and you're good to go.

Iordan_1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
the old OS is already locked and doesnt allow new drivers to run or old ones, cant use the internet. and when i manually search for USB 3.0 drivers i look inside the CD that came with my motherboard, and when i find then and try to install them, then my mouse/keyboard both stop working, and the installation hangs

refix7

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

thanks a ton! only thing that worked for me on a E3 Pro V5 mobo