Ultima VI FM Towns is real!

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

hello,
last week i was very lucky at ebay.
Ultima VI for FM Towns with FULL SPEECH!
And it works fine with a emulator in Win XP!

if you don´t believe it, take a look at ebay for item number
8171772322

my thoughts, now that i have a cd with the voice samples, were:
is it possible to patch or reprogram the original pc-version to use
the samples?
and: is that legal?

thoughts?
comments?
questions?

Ralf

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Ralfi <rsander@addcom.de>:
> hello,
> last week i was very lucky at ebay.
> Ultima VI for FM Towns with FULL SPEECH!
> And it works fine with a emulator in Win XP!

Good find! I wonder if Garriott's voice acting in U6 is any better
than it was in the Serpent Isle intro? :)

> if you don´t believe it, take a look at ebay for item number
> 8171772322
>
> my thoughts, now that i have a cd with the voice samples, were:
> is it possible to patch or reprogram the original pc-version to use
> the samples?

I'd be surprised if it were, without something like Exult running in
parallel with the original game files. The PC original, AFAIK, just
isn't set up to trigger events with dialogue, though I'm happy to be
corrected on the matter.

> and: is that legal?

I don't see a problem with it, if you own copies of both games. It'd
definitely be technical rather than legislative barriers that would be
in your way. :)

> thoughts?
> comments?
> questions?
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming Ralfi woke me up by screaming

> last week i was very lucky at ebay.
> Ultima VI for FM Towns with FULL SPEECH!
> And it works fine with a emulator in Win XP!

Yeah, it is nice. Found one there myself some time ago.

> my thoughts, now that i have a cd with the voice samples, were:
> is it possible to patch or reprogram the original pc-version to use
> the samples?

Not with the original pc version but Nuvie (a project with a similar goal
as Exult) has a tool to let you listen to the voice effects and already
plays the music from the Towns version. Eventualy it will also play the
voices in conversations.
Visit http://nuvie.sf.net

--
Dominus Dragon -=UDIC=- aka Dominik Reichardt (Remove NOSPAM to mail)
My homepage with funny content :) http://Beam.To/Dominik/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 01:53:34 GMT, Dominus Dragon <whatever@what.ever>
wrote:

>Dreaming Ralfi woke me up by screaming
>
>> last week i was very lucky at ebay.
>> Ultima VI for FM Towns with FULL SPEECH!
>> And it works fine with a emulator in Win XP!
>
>Yeah, it is nice. Found one there myself some time ago.
>
>> my thoughts, now that i have a cd with the voice samples, were:
>> is it possible to patch or reprogram the original pc-version to use
>> the samples?
>
>Not with the original pc version but Nuvie (a project with a similar goal
>as Exult) has a tool to let you listen to the voice effects and already
>plays the music from the Towns version. Eventualy it will also play the
>voices in conversations.
>Visit http://nuvie.sf.net

You can now download two samples of Lord British from my homepage:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/herrsander/

click on the UIX-Logo in the left frame.

Ralfi

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I would like to ask about the FM-Towns music. I assume the music is
the same as the PC version's, but does it sound like the Adlib or
digital audio? The FM-Towns has the capability to do both.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On 6 Mar 2005 16:04:23 -0800, "Great Hierophant"
<great_hierophant@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would like to ask about the FM-Towns music. I assume the music is
>the same as the PC version's, but does it sound like the Adlib or
>digital audio? The FM-Towns has the capability to do both.

The music sounds pretty like an Adlib soundcard and is the same as on
the PC-Version
I have a little sample of the intro for download on my homepage:

mitglied.lycos.de/herrsander

Click on the UIX-Logo in the left frame.
ralf

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I agree, the music is definitely FM Synthesis-based. The Adlib is
essentially a YM-3812 on an ISA board, the FM-Towns uses a YM-2612,
which was also used in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. The former is
perhaps a bit more musical.

Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.header> wrote:

>Good find! I wonder if Garriott's voice acting in U6 is any better
>than it was in the Serpent Isle intro? :)

Hu? He did?

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming Claus Dragon woke me up by screaming

>>Good find! I wonder if Garriott's voice acting in U6 is any better
>>than it was in the Serpent Isle intro? :)
>
> Hu? He did?

yup, he did both.

--

Quoth Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header>:
> Dreaming Claus Dragon woke me up by screaming:

> >>I wonder if Garriott's voice acting in U6 is any better
> >>than it was in the Serpent Isle intro? :)
> > Hu? He did?
> yup, he did both.

Indeed. Put it on the table.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Stand back!

Words to the wise, Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header> wrote:

>>>Good find! I wonder if Garriott's voice acting in U6 is any better
>>>than it was in the Serpent Isle intro? :)
>>
>> Hu? He did?
>
>yup, he did both.

Where when what how?

> Where when what how?

I don't know where and when he recorded it but he did the whole speech for
LB in FM-Towns Ultima 6 and the LB speech in SI's intro.