Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 problems PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Windows 7
August 6, 2012 6:49:06 PM

Hi guys! I have a Samsung R580 laptop bought less than 2 years ago, and recently there's this really weird issue. It can get really annoying..

Since this computer is a laptop, there's a "Fn" button to control brightness, volume, and other stuff.. Whenever I adjust them, it does adjust them but, it doesn't show up on the screen as it used to before. :fou:  It's not that big of an issue but, it gets really annoying sometimes..

What is even more bothersome is that I can't change keyboards input to English to Korean at all. It was flawless before, but it doesn't allow me to do so.. I haven't changed any of the settings for keyboard input, but suddenly it won't work.. :o  I have tried typing korean with my iPhone using Logitech Touch mouse server (It's sort of like a wireless keyboard and a mouse but using it with an iPhone) , but it won't register any letters at all. English works flawlessly however..

Those two problems happened around the same time, if not exactly at the same time.

Please help! Thank you!

More about : windows problems

a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:06:05 PM

It could be there was an application that enabled the on-screen display for your brightness, these can be disabled/enabled in msconfig, killing the functionality. Is it possible you disabled some start-up applications that started the issue?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:29:26 PM

Have you tried going back to a previous Restore Point to when you know the computer was working properly?
I suspect it was a windows update that might have caused your issues.
Related resources
August 6, 2012 7:39:35 PM

I went into msconfig and there are so many things I have no idea where to look at. Do you know any keywords that can help me determine which can enable the on-screen display and keyboard input?

I haven't tried that yet. I think that will probably work and it will probably the simplest method.. I'll give it a try!

Thank you guys for the suggestions!
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:40:16 PM

Usually just reinstalling that program will fix it. I will look on their website to see if i can determine which program that might be.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:40:25 PM

djscribbles said:
It could be there was an application that enabled the on-screen display for your brightness, these can be disabled/enabled in msconfig, killing the functionality. Is it possible you disabled some start-up applications that started the issue?

I agree; The program must have become disabled for whatever reason.
August 6, 2012 7:45:38 PM

I looked into system restore and the furthest point is 7/17/12.. I'm pretty sure the problems happened way before than that date.. Is there a way to go even further than that?

I really appreciate all the help.. but, all of focuses on the on-screen display problem. Does anyone know the problem with the keyboard input?
August 6, 2012 7:47:06 PM

I'll give it a try on restoring back to 7/17/12 if all the other solutions don't work.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:48:03 PM

I found a few but there are a few different models of the R580.
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:49:30 PM

It will be a samsung program, but it's going to be difficult to find. Look through the things that are not checked for samsung applications.

If you've never used msconfig before, it will have everything enabled (checked). You are looking for something that has been disabled. Often people who service computers will disable things in that list to help make the computer more responsive (by not loading so much junk at startup), and so may have disabled something useful by mistake.

It shouldn't do any harm to enable everything in the list; unless there is a malware program that has been disabled in the past, but not cleaned up by antivirus somehow...

edit: Regarding the language issue, I'm not 100% sure, it may also be a similar issue that some app at startup enables this functionality; but i've never used multilingual stuff on my computer before, so I can't help much there. Do you have the correct font packs (so you can see websites written in Korean, just not type in that mode)?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:57:08 PM

Rhuidk said:
I looked into system restore and the furthest point is 7/17/12.. I'm pretty sure the problems happened way before than that date.. Is there a way to go even further than that?

I really appreciate all the help.. but, all of focuses on the on-screen display problem. Does anyone know the problem with the keyboard input?

My guess is that fixing the first thing, will also fix the 2nd thing.
August 6, 2012 8:03:01 PM

danny2000 said:
I found a few but there are a few different models of the R580.

It's this one. http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R580-JSB1...
Which drivers should I reinstall?

The list is all checked but it didn't solve the problem.. I don't think I can do anything more with msconfig..

Edit: Any more suggestions?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 8:11:56 PM

Rhuidk said:
It's this one. http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP-R580-JSB1...
Which drivers should I reinstall?

The list is all checked but it didn't solve the problem.. I don't think I can do anything more with msconfig..

Edit: Any more suggestions?

I would download and install:
Samsung Support Center (Software) (ver.1.1.1.3)

Windows 7(32bit,64bit)

May 23, 2010

MULTI LANGUAGE

zip

and also:

SAMSUNG Update Plus (Software) (ver.2.0.0.22)
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 8:18:30 PM

You could try the SAMSUNG Update Plus (Software) (ver.3.0.0.17), it may just need to update some installed components. To control the on-screen display, Easy Display Manager (Software) (ver.3.2.2.2) is what you are missing, but just running the updates may fix your issue.

Just to double check, you did restart after checking all the startup applications in the msconfig startup tab.

Out of curiosity, have you upgraded your operating system to Windows 7, or was it what was on the PC originally?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 8:23:15 PM

There is a software download for Samsung Magic Keyboard for another version of your laptop, but not your's. It is for the Fn key.

On further inspection, also install this: Easy Display Manager (Software) (ver.3.2.0.2)
!