Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Akalabeth and Ultimas I through V, including the Ultima I remake were
all designed for the Apple II line of computers. This means they were
written with the Apple II's graphics (280x192x6), sound (CPU controlled
pietzo tweeter), CPU (6502/65c02 @1.02 MHz), memory (48, 64 and 128KB)
and storage (140KB Single Sided 5.25" floppy drives). When the games
were ported the the IBM PC line, the machine had very similar
capabilities, graphics (CGA 320x200x4), sound (timer controlled pietzo
tweeter), CPU (8088 @ 4.77MHz), memory (64-256KB) and storage (360KB
Double Sided floppy drives.)

I have already identified the crucial gameplay differences between the
Apple II and IBM PC versions of Ultima I [the Remake] and Ultima II.
Here I would like to comment in general how they play compared to each
other. Origin (and Sierra On-line for U2) never took to the PC until
Ultima VI, when they embraced it. Until then their ports looked like
Apple IIs (in CGA mode at least), played like Apple IIs and sounded
like Apple IIs. Their ports included the minimum of features and made
no concessions to emerging PC technologies. Ultimas II and III could
have supported CGA's color composite mode to give these games color to
rival the Apple II and Atari 8-bit versions. Ultimas I, IV and V for
the PC could have had quit commands to facilitate running the games off
the hard drive. Fortunately they were formatted in DOS so they could
be installed to a hard drive. Ultima IV could Ultima V could have
supported the Adlib Sound Card or a midi interface, Mice and 3.5"
Double Density/5.25" High Density disk drives, all of which which were
in service in 1988 when it was ported to the PC. Finally, Origin could
have put some speed limiter so that the game would run at the same
speed for the user on an XT and the user on an AT (80286 @ 6 or 8MHz.,
256 or 512KB standard.)

In Origin's defense, it should be noted that Ultima I and IV supported
the EGA card in 1986 and 1987 when it was still a very pricey option.
The PC Ultima's IV and V 16-color artwork and EGA palette was used in
the graphically superior Atari ST and Commodore Amiga systems.
Upgrading an IBM PC through the official and semi-official channels
cost big bucks, which is why Origin is not the only developer slow to
warm up to the PC. IBM certainly didn't push the open architecture PC
very far before going off into its equally expensive PS/2 line.

The only way to play these games as they were meant to be played is to
do is on an IBM PC or PC/XT with an 8088 processor running at 4.77MHz
and with a CGA or EGA card depending on the game. (No 8086s or V30s
need apply.) Ideally you should run the games off the floppy drives
without installing them to a hard disk. This way the game runs at the
closest you can get to a standard speed. The sound effects, generated
by the PC Speaker, sound the closest to the Apple II's, somewhat higher
pitched in most cases. The graphics too are very similar to the Apple
IIs, even though the Apple II uses 14x16 tiles while every other port
uses 16x16. Animation, like water is generally faster than on the
Apple. The keypress buffers of Ultima I and IV record more keypresses
than the Apple II versions. The player moves and attacks somewhat
faster.

GH

Great Hierophant wrote:

>Akalabeth and Ultimas I through V, including the Ultima I remake were
>all designed for the Apple II line of computers.

True. Richard Garriott's high school had an Apple II computer lab and that
is where he developed his early games. Akalabeth and the original Ultima
were exclusively Apple II games for many years. It was only recently that
a PC version of Akalabeth has been made available. Only when Garriott
signed with Sierra Online that, at their insistence, versions of Ultima II
was made for other platforms.

>In Origin's defense, it should be noted that Ultima I and IV supported
>the EGA card in 1986 and 1987 when it was still a very pricey option.

....but still fully supported CGA.

>The only way to play these games as they were meant to be played is to
>do is on an IBM PC or PC/XT with an 8088 processor running at 4.77MHz
>and with a CGA or EGA card depending on the game.

I've tried to play the PC versions of the early Ultima's and find it to be
a wasted effort. I find I was much better off playing the original Apple
II versions with an Apple II emulator. There is even an emulator now that
supports the Apple II sound card so you can have music with Ultima's III,
IV and V.

The PC ports of Ultima's II and III were generally lackluster. It was only
at Ultima IV, with the capability of EGA graphics, that game play was put
on par with the Apple II version. Ultima V it surpassed the Apple II's in
every ways except music.

It is interesting to note that Ultima VI was originally targeted for the
Apple IIgs line of computers. It's superior graphics and sound
capabilities made it one of the best gaming machines on the market at the
time. This was changed pretty early in the design of the game to the PC
due mostly to Apple's indifference to the Apple II line in favor of the
Macintosh.

Ultima VI turned out to be quite a flexible game. It supported VGA, mouse
and music while it could still be run with CGA, keyboard, no music and even
without a hard drive! This was the last Ultima game to support running
directly off the floppy disk.

--Photon

Photon Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
since July 8, 1995.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Ultima II and III were about as good as it got for 1983. The IBM PC
was a new machine then, and PC owners were lucky to get ports at all.
Ultima II and III could only use what was available at the time, which
was CGA. (EGA was released sometime in 1984.) With CGA you had two
palette choices, Red, Green and Brown or Cyan, Magenta and Gray and a
background color for each. Ultima II only lacks the opening tune and
the animated intro screen. Ultima III lacks music because the PC had
no music hardware to speak of and the PCjr was just being released. It
also stores far too many keypresses in its buffer. Compared to the
Apple II they run faster.

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

It could be for EGA, MCGA or the PCJr.'s graphics adapters. IBM's CGA
cards had a composite video out connector to output to a composite
monitor. You could program it so that instead of showing a 640x200
graphics mode you would get a 160x200 graphics with 16 colors only on a
composite monitor. This excellent page has just about everything you
ever wanted to know about the mode:
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/cga.html

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

You can get a good idea what the graphics would look like in color
composite mode if you ran Ultima II or III in the MESS's emulation of
the PC. It has a setting that will "composite" the RGB colors.

Great Hierophant wrote:

> Their ports included the minimum of features and made
> no concessions to emerging PC technologies. Ultimas II and III could
> have supported CGA's color composite mode to give these games color to
> rival the Apple II and Atari 8-bit versions.

What is the colour composite mode? As I remember, it had only two
modes: 320x200 in four colours (and you didn't get to choose which)
or 640x200 in monochrome. (I presume you don't mean MCGA mode..)

I do believe that DeluxePaint II had an 'any 4 colours' mode, but
I never worked out how they did that when I started programming CGA
myself. I always assumed it was a feature of EGA adapters.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <42260b3d$0$544$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, J. P.
Morris wrote:

> Great Hierophant wrote:
>
>> Their ports included the minimum of features and made
>> no concessions to emerging PC technologies. Ultimas II and III could
>> have supported CGA's color composite mode to give these games color to
>> rival the Apple II and Atari 8-bit versions.
>
> What is the colour composite mode? As I remember, it had only two
> modes: 320x200 in four colours (and you didn't get to choose which)

Well, that's only half-true. You could select among two predefined (but
decidedly icky-looking) four-colour palettes: either magenta, cyan, and
light grey, or red, green, and brown, plus a colour of your choice. There
were some unofficial ways around this, but in any case you could only have
at most four colours on the screen in 320×200 mode.

The colour composite mode GH is referring to was a 160×200 16-colour mode
that worked only with an RCA composite video output connected to a
television set or Commodore-style video monitor. Needless to say, almost
nobody who owned an IBM PC used such a setup. Had Origin produced such a
version of Ultimas II and III, the graphics would have been more colourful
but horribly blocky, similar to the Commodore 64 version of Ultima VI.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Great Hierophant wrote:

> It could be for EGA, MCGA or the PCJr.'s graphics adapters. IBM's CGA
> cards had a composite video out connector to output to a composite
> monitor. You could program it so that instead of showing a 640x200
> graphics mode you would get a 160x200 graphics with 16 colors only on a
> composite monitor. This excellent page has just about everything you
> ever wanted to know about the mode:
> http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/cga.html

Fantastic. I imagine the composite CGA would have been totally
broken on non-US television/monitors, though.

I know that site had a lot about CPM, but I didn't know he'd
branched into hardware as well. And I'd forgotten about the PGA
adapter too.