Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:18:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I am getting the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file
or disk" when I try to delete a file from my desktop on my XP pro sp2
laptop. I am the only user and I have admin rights. It has never happen
before. When I go to dos prompt and check the file attributes it shows me
ASH, but it cannot change the attributes - the message is "Not resetting
system file" with the file name. The file It is not a virus or something
malicious as I created it my self from an email message, finished with it
and when I wanted to delete it I could not. There are no processes locking
the file. Tried NTFSPro in a dos prompt outside windows but it did show the
file at all. Any ideas will be appreciated

Regards,
George.
June 11, 2005 6:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That specific message usually indicates a file system problem. Run chkdsk
/f or the more time consuming /r for a bad sector check as well.
--

"George G." <george.g@--xx--buildsmart.co.za> wrote in message
news:eHtQi%23nbFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file
> or disk" when I try to delete a file from my desktop on my XP pro sp2
> laptop. I am the only user and I have admin rights. It has never happen
> before. When I go to dos prompt and check the file attributes it shows me
> ASH, but it cannot change the attributes - the message is "Not resetting
> system file" with the file name. The file It is not a virus or something
> malicious as I created it my self from an email message, finished with it
> and when I wanted to delete it I could not. There are no processes locking
> the file. Tried NTFSPro in a dos prompt outside windows but it did show
> the file at all. Any ideas will be appreciated
>
> Regards,
> George.
>
June 11, 2005 6:20:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Did you try to delete it in Safe Mode?

Alias

"George G." <george.g@--xx--buildsmart.co.za> wrote

> Hi,
>
> I am getting the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file
> or disk" when I try to delete a file from my desktop on my XP pro sp2
> laptop. I am the only user and I have admin rights. It has never happen
> before. When I go to dos prompt and check the file attributes it shows me
> ASH, but it cannot change the attributes - the message is "Not resetting
> system file" with the file name. The file It is not a virus or something
> malicious as I created it my self from an email message, finished with it
> and when I wanted to delete it I could not. There are no processes locking
> the file. Tried NTFSPro in a dos prompt outside windows but it did show
> the file at all. Any ideas will be appreciated
>
> Regards,
> George.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:34:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I did, forgot to mention it, didn't help. Also tried the following with no
luck :
kill the explorer process in task manager, then "file->new task->cmd" to
open a dos prompt
and as explorer is not running delete the file, but it did not work.

Any other ideas, please...

Thanks.
George.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:u7iB%23$nbFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Did you try to delete it in Safe Mode?
>
> Alias
>
> "George G." <george.g@--xx--buildsmart.co.za> wrote
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am getting the message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source
>> file or disk" when I try to delete a file from my desktop on my XP pro
>> sp2 laptop. I am the only user and I have admin rights. It has never
>> happen before. When I go to dos prompt and check the file attributes it
>> shows me ASH, but it cannot change the attributes - the message is "Not
>> resetting system file" with the file name. The file It is not a virus or
>> something malicious as I created it my self from an email message,
>> finished with it and when I wanted to delete it I could not. There are no
>> processes locking the file. Tried NTFSPro in a dos prompt outside windows
>> but it did show the file at all. Any ideas will be appreciated
>>
>> Regards,
>> George.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:52:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

GTS wrote:
> That specific message usually indicates a file system problem. Run chkdsk
> /f or the more time consuming /r for a bad sector check as well.

Make sure the mailer you used to create it isn't running
as a service. Check that any other program that can read
that file isn't running as well. Then try to delete. You may
need to remove inferences to it in the registry as well.
Thats held in current user /software /Microsoft /windows/
current_version/explorer/comdlg32 (and underneath extension)
<ditto>/ to recent documents (by type) and runmru
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
which describe him in the last days.
Is your quality found on this list??
February 29, 2012 2:26:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!