Can't delete - read only

June 11, 2005 10:03:02 AM

I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find an answer. I
click properties, uncheck read-only, click apply, then OK. But when I try to
delete the folder, it again says read-only. I am the only user of this
computer. It is not connected to a network. I do not have the file set up
for sharing.

It is not a system file or important file. It is a visual studio project I
created that I no longer want.

dennist685

More about : delete read

June 11, 2005 11:15:04 AM

dennist685 wrote:

> I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find an answer.
> click properties, uncheck read-only, click apply, then OK. But when I
> try to
> delete the folder, it again says read-only. I am the only user of
> this
> computer. It is not connected to a network. I do not have the file
> set up for sharing.
>
> It is not a system file or important file. It is a visual studio
> project I created that I no longer want.
>
> dennist685

Try and delete the folder from Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode,
repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will
give you the menu from which you can choose Safe Mode.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Read-only means nothing for folders.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:93288D43-C40A-4BD8-94D7-394CD3F8412C@microsoft.com,
dennist685 <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam> hunted and pecked:
> I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find an answer. I
> click properties, uncheck read-only, click apply, then OK. But when I
> try to delete the folder, it again says read-only. I am the only user of
> this computer. It is not connected to a network. I do not have the file
> set up for sharing.
>
> It is not a system file or important file. It is a visual studio project
> I created that I no longer want.
>
> dennist685
June 11, 2005 1:44:04 PM

dennist685,
Just on a lark, try to rename the file to something else. Since you
didn't give us the actual filename, it's harder for us to tell you how
to rename it.
If the filename was say; vsproject.*** I'd try renaming it to
vsprojectold.***
Then try to nuke it.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 11, 2005 2:31:23 PM

From: "dennist685" <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam>

| I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find an answer. I
| click properties, uncheck read-only, click apply, then OK. But when I try to
| delete the folder, it again says read-only. I am the only user of this
| computer. It is not connected to a network. I do not have the file set up
| for sharing.
|
| It is not a system file or important file. It is a visual studio project I
| created that I no longer want.
|
| dennist685

You can't delete a folder if a File Handle is open on a file within said folder structure.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

So people know WTF you're replying to...

When replying to a message, include enough original material to be
understood.

Because...

It is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original.

It is possible to see a response to a message without seeing the
original.

Giving context helps everyone.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Treeman.1qgxwk@no-mx.msusenet.com,
Treeman <Treeman.1qgxwk@no-mx.msusenet.com> hunted and pecked:
> dennist685,
> Just on a lark, try to rename the file to something else. Since you
> didn't give us the actual filename, it's harder for us to tell you how
> to rename it.
> If the filename was say; vsproject.*** I'd try renaming it to
> vsprojectold.***
> Then try to nuke it.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
June 11, 2005 5:56:47 PM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> So people know WTF you're replying to...
>
> When replying to a message, include enough original material to be
> understood.
>
> Because...
>
> It is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original.
>
> It is possible to see a response to a message without seeing the
> original.
>
> Giving context helps everyone.

Top-posting with OE using a sig seperator has the same effect, Wes ;)

Steve
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:57:39 PM

WTF are you really??????????

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e%23Tk3$obFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Malke <invalid@not-real.com> hunted and pecked:
> dennist685 wrote:
>
>> I did a search before asking this question, but didn't find an answer.
>> click properties, uncheck read-only, click apply, then OK. But when I
>> try to
>> delete the folder, it again says read-only. I am the only user of
>> this
>> computer. It is not connected to a network. I do not have the file
>> set up for sharing.
>>
>> It is not a system file or important file. It is a visual studio
>> project I created that I no longer want.
>>
>> dennist685
>
> Try and delete the folder from Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode,
> repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will
> give you the menu from which you can choose Safe Mode.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:50:44 PM

Steve,

You mean it erases the original message?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eaUTpCsbFHA.2936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Steve N. <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> So people know WTF you're replying to...
>>
>> When replying to a message, include enough original material to be
>> understood.
>>
>> Because...
>>
>> It is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original.
>>
>> It is possible to see a response to a message without seeing the
>> original.
>>
>> Giving context helps everyone.
>>

> Top-posting with OE using a sig seperator has the same effect, Wes ;)
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:48:02 AM

I want to thank you all for all your help. I couldn't answer before now
because it was Shabbat in Israel. I tried renaming, taking ownership and so
on. I rebooted, not in safe mode. It deleted with no problem.

dennist685
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:33:52 PM

From: "dennist685" <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam>

| I want to thank you all for all your help. I couldn't answer before now
| because it was Shabbat in Israel. I tried renaming, taking ownership and so
| on. I rebooted, not in safe mode. It deleted with no problem.
|
| dennist685

Todah ! I hope you had a good Shabbos ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:37:24 PM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Steve,
>
> You mean it erases the original message?

Yes, when I reply to your message the quoted message in your message
(below the sig seperator) vanishes. If I want to include it then I have
to manually copy and paste it into my reply to you.

Steve
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:46:51 PM

In news:ucu9S9EcFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Steve N. <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> typed:

> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> You mean it erases the original message?
>>

> Yes, when I reply to your message the quoted message in your
> message
> (below the sig seperator) vanishes. If I want to include it
> then I
> have to manually copy and paste it into my reply to you.

That's the newsreader standard (although Outlook Express doesn't
follow it). Everything following the sig separator is presumed to
be a signature and is stripped from the quoted material.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:14:18 AM

Hmm.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ucu9S9EcFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Steve N. <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> You mean it erases the original message?
>>

> Yes, when I reply to your message the quoted message in your message
> (below the sig seperator) vanishes. If I want to include it then I have
> to manually copy and paste it into my reply to you.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:23:29 AM

Tools, options, send tab. Is "Include message in reply" box checked?

> Hmm.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ucu9S9EcFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Steve N. <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> hunted and pecked:
>> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> You mean it erases the original message?
>>>

>> Yes, when I reply to your message the quoted message in your message
>> (below the sig seperator) vanishes. If I want to include it then I have
>> to manually copy and paste it into my reply to you.
>>
>> Steve
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:28:58 PM

See, your sig delimiter causes everything that follows to not be
included. I suggest you either drop it, or bottom post.

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Hmm.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:21:37 AM

Yes.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e0d7PgIcFHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Jone Doe <fake@nowhere.org> hunted and pecked:
> Tools, options, send tab. Is "Include message in reply" box checked?

>> Hmm.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ucu9S9EcFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Steve N. <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> hunted and pecked:

>>> Yes, when I reply to your message the quoted message in your message
>>> (below the sig seperator) vanishes. If I want to include it then I have
>>> to manually copy and paste it into my reply to you.
>>>
>>> Steve
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:22:41 AM

Hmmm...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uDDxW2OcFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> See, your sig delimiter causes everything that follows to not be
> included. I suggest you either drop it, or bottom post.
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> Hmm.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:45:18 PM

Adding 2 periods to "Hmmm." does not change the proper working of the
sig seperator. Either don't use it, or start bottom posting.

!