disable drag and drop

June 11, 2005 10:36:21 AM

Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other folders/files
using drag and drop in Windows XP. Anyone know how I can disable it?

Thanks!
Chirag

More about : disable drag drop

June 11, 2005 1:46:29 PM

Chirag wrote:
> Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other folders/files
> using drag and drop in Windows XP. Anyone know how I can disable it?
>
> Thanks!
> Chirag

Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping
--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

That is only for the Start Menu.

[[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
menu.]]

Also disables the right click menu for the Start Menu if UNChecked.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23eab3wobFHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Chirag wrote:
>> Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other folders/files
>> using drag and drop in Windows XP. Anyone know how I can disable it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Chirag
>
> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping
> --
> Mike Pawlak
June 11, 2005 3:02:46 PM

That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu. The drag and drop feature of
explorer is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chirag wrote:
>> Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other folders/files
>> using drag and drop in Windows XP. Anyone know how I can disable it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Chirag
>
> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping
> --
> Mike Pawlak

June 11, 2005 3:40:27 PM

Thanx Anando I learned something today :-)

--
Mike Pawlak
June 11, 2005 3:41:40 PM

Thanx Wes! New info is always good.

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

Actually, I think you can disable: Drag and drop or copy and paste files.

First you have to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options.

Then...

Internet Explorer | Security tab | My Computer Zone |
Miscellaneous Settings | Disable: Drag and drop or copy and paste files

[[Security Alert
Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this
zone.]]
-----

How to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315933

I did change the registry setting so I could see the My Computer Security
Zone in Internet Options, but I chickened out and changed it back before I
made any other changes.
----

How can I prevent users from performing a copy/paste or drag-and-drop
operation in Windows 2000 Explorer?
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBG/TIP3300/rh3394.htm

[[When you attempt to copy and paste or perform a drag-and-drop operation
for files in either Windows Explorer or Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may
receive the following error message:
Security Alert
Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this
zone. ]]
Error Message: Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving
files from this zone
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995

[[Internet Explorer includes five predefined zones: Internet, Local
Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites, and My Computer.]]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/

[[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not available
through the Internet Options utility.]]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995

[[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the
Security tab. ]]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:exN774obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu. The
> drag and drop feature of explorer is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Chirag wrote:
>>> Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other folders/files
>>> using drag and drop in Windows XP. Anyone know how I can disable it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Chirag
>>
>> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:52:34 PM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Actually, I think you can disable: Drag and drop or copy and paste files.

That'a true, but then what are you gonna do, drop to a cmd prompt
everytime you want to copy a file? Not really a working solution.

Steve

> First you have to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options.
>
> Then...
>
> Internet Explorer | Security tab | My Computer Zone |
> Miscellaneous Settings | Disable: Drag and drop or copy and paste files
>
> [[Security Alert
> Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this
> zone.]]
> -----
>
> How to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315933
>
> I did change the registry setting so I could see the My Computer Security
> Zone in Internet Options, but I chickened out and changed it back before I
> made any other changes.
> ----
>
> How can I prevent users from performing a copy/paste or drag-and-drop
> operation in Windows 2000 Explorer?
> http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBG/TIP3300/rh3394.htm
>
> [[When you attempt to copy and paste or perform a drag-and-drop operation
> for files in either Windows Explorer or Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may
> receive the following error message:
> Security Alert
> Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this
> zone. ]]
> Error Message: Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving
> files from this zone
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>
> [[Internet Explorer includes five predefined zones: Internet, Local
> Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites, and My Computer.]]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/
>
> [[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
> utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not available
> through the Internet Options utility.]]
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>
> [[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the
> Security tab. ]]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:55:10 PM

Keep having fun! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23yvbOxpbFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanx Wes! New info is always good.
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> That is only for the Start Menu.
>>
>> [[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
>> menu.]]
>>
>> Also disables the right click menu for the Start Menu if UNChecked.
>>

>> In news:%23eab3wobFHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

>>> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and
>>> dropping --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:06:14 PM

"Chirag" <patelc75@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, I accidentally move folders/files into other
> folders/files using drag and drop in Windows XP.
> Anyone know how I can disable it?

You can't, but this might help you to avoid doing it by accident:

- Open Control Panel > Mouse Properties.
- Click the Pointer Options tab.
- Try reducing the pointer speed, and/or check "Enhance pointer
precision".

P.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:30:00 PM

Hmmm...enlightening. Never realized that explorer settings would be buried deep within IE settings.
Thanks Wesley.

--

> [...]
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:exN774obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu. The
>> drag and drop feature of explorer is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:31:51 PM

> First you have to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options

Actually, how would you go about doing that ? Guess, i am a novice :o )

--

> [...]

> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:exN774obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu. The
>> drag and drop feature of explorer is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Under "taskbar and start menu...customize" uncheck dragging and dropping

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:31:52 PM

Anando,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings\Zones\0
Value Name: Flags
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 21 (in hexadecimal) or 47 (in hexadecimal)

21 (in hexadecimal) = My Computer security zone hidden

47 (in hexadecimal) = My Computer security zone displayed

In news:o Kcg3zsbFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/
>>
>> [[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
>> utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not
>> available through the Internet Options utility.]]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>>
>> [[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the
>> Security tab. ]]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:exN774obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu.
>>> The drag and drop feature of explorer is hard-coded and cannot be

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:51:25 PM

Anando,

IE and Windows Explorer are related.

For example...

[[This behavior may occur if the ExplorerBar value in the following registry
key is damaged:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

The ExplorerBar value contains positioning information for the All Folders
pane in Windows Explorer.]]
"All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u8up1ysbFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/
>>
>> [[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
>> utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not
>> available through the Internet Options utility.]]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>>
>> [[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the
>> Security tab. ]]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:exN774obFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> That one is only for the 'all programs' section under the start menu.
>>> The drag and drop feature of explorer is hard-coded and cannot be

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:00:25 AM

Yup, i realize Windows explorer and IE are closely related, but never thought that drag/drop
settings could be accessed through IE settings. BTW even after making the regedit and disabling
drag/drop, it still seems to work in explorer. Any ideas ?

--

> [...]
>>> may receive the following error message:
>>> Security Alert
>>> Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving files from this
>>> zone. ]]
>>> Error Message: Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving
>>> files from this zone
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>>>
>>> [[Internet Explorer includes five predefined zones: Internet, Local
>>> Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites, and My Computer.]]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/
>>>
>>> [[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
>>> utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not
>>> available through the Internet Options utility.]]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995
>>>
>>> [[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:31:51 PM

Anando,

This is all theory for me as I haven't actually tried it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eHvaervbFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Yup, i realize Windows explorer and IE are closely related, but never
> thought that drag/drop settings could be accessed through IE settings.
> BTW even after making the regedit and disabling drag/drop, it still seems
> to work in explorer. Any ideas ?
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>> Anando,
>>
>> IE and Windows Explorer are related.
>>
>> For example...
>>
>> [[This behavior may occur if the ExplorerBar value in the following
>> registry key is damaged:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>>
>> The ExplorerBar value contains positioning information for the All
>> Folders pane in Windows Explorer.]]
>> "All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:u8up1ysbFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hmmm...enlightening. Never realized that explorer settings would be
>>> buried deep within IE settings. Thanks Wesley.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:33:56 PM

Ok. Thanks anyways...and enjoy the sunday :o )

--

> Anando,
>
> This is all theory for me as I haven't actually tried it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eHvaervbFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Yup, i realize Windows explorer and IE are closely related, but never
>> thought that drag/drop settings could be accessed through IE settings.
>> BTW even after making the regedit and disabling drag/drop, it still seems
>> to work in explorer. Any ideas ?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> Anando,
>>>
>>> IE and Windows Explorer are related.
>>>
>>> For example...
>>>
>>> [[This behavior may occur if the ExplorerBar value in the following
>>> registry key is damaged:
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>>>
>>> The ExplorerBar value contains positioning information for the All
>>> Folders pane in Windows Explorer.]]
>>> "All Folders" pane missing or Windows Explorer is blank
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192315
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes