Port forwarding for AoC?

Last response: in Video Games
December 31, 2004 1:49:03 PM

I have NAT and DHCP on my LAN. I only use one computer in my home. It has Win
XP Pro with Sp2. I need to port forward in order that I can play Age of
Empires 2: The Conqeurors multiplayer. I am never able to join a game or host
one, I think because of this NAT thing. I've opened my ports through Windows
Firewall, yet they are still blocked (I use PortDetective to tell me this).
Is the reason they are blocked is because of NAT? I am able to use Aol
Instant Messenger and Windows Messenger just fine, in fact, I have other
online games (Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Age of Mythology) that do work
multiplayer. Yet, The Conquerors does not.

I do not have a router. Yet I have like a Gateway Address or something?? I
have no idea. I have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and a "Default Gaetway"
address of 192.168.1.1. I have a "DNS" server and "DCHP" serves addresses:
192.128.1.1 for both. I have no idea what those mean. I use an Arescom 800 as
my modem with MSN Boradband. It is directly hooked up to my computer.

Can someone pleeeease help? I have been trying to fix this for hours upon
hours upon hours, researching all kinds of stuff, and trying all kinds of
stuff, but no luck. I've tried turning off my firewall, adding the programs
as exceptions in the firewall, opening ports (but if they're "blocked" then
no point in opening them, right?), turning off my Virus software, and other
things.

I am so lost. Please help! Must I port forward? If so, how do I go about
doing it? I'm new at this, and I've gone to portforward.com, but since I
don't have a router, I am not able to do anything. Other sites are the same
way, or they don't list step by step instructions. They assume the readers
are all experts at computers. Anyway, awaiting a response, thanks!

More about : port forwarding aoc

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:58:10 PM

Hi Eternal,

Sounds like your ISP modem is using NAT.
Give their tech support a call and they'll configure it for you. :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"eternal" <eternal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D9BDEFF-49E0-4501-87D6-D63B9EA2D811@microsoft.com...
>I have NAT and DHCP on my LAN. I only use one computer in my home. It has Win
> XP Pro with Sp2. I need to port forward in order that I can play Age of
> Empires 2: The Conqeurors multiplayer. I am never able to join a game or host
> one, I think because of this NAT thing. I've opened my ports through Windows
> Firewall, yet they are still blocked (I use PortDetective to tell me this).
> Is the reason they are blocked is because of NAT? I am able to use Aol
> Instant Messenger and Windows Messenger just fine, in fact, I have other
> online games (Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Age of Mythology) that do work
> multiplayer. Yet, The Conquerors does not.
>
> I do not have a router. Yet I have like a Gateway Address or something?? I
> have no idea. I have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and a "Default Gaetway"
> address of 192.168.1.1. I have a "DNS" server and "DCHP" serves addresses:
> 192.128.1.1 for both. I have no idea what those mean. I use an Arescom 800 as
> my modem with MSN Boradband. It is directly hooked up to my computer.
>
> Can someone pleeeease help? I have been trying to fix this for hours upon
> hours upon hours, researching all kinds of stuff, and trying all kinds of
> stuff, but no luck. I've tried turning off my firewall, adding the programs
> as exceptions in the firewall, opening ports (but if they're "blocked" then
> no point in opening them, right?), turning off my Virus software, and other
> things.
>
> I am so lost. Please help! Must I port forward? If so, how do I go about
> doing it? I'm new at this, and I've gone to portforward.com, but since I
> don't have a router, I am not able to do anything. Other sites are the same
> way, or they don't list step by step instructions. They assume the readers
> are all experts at computers. Anyway, awaiting a response, thanks!
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:17:01 AM

Hey Jimmy. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it much. Actually, I already
gave my ISP (MSN) a call. I talked to tech support, and I didn't know much
about the situation or about NAT, so I didn't really understand the problem
myself. So I kinda got tongue twisted and didn't address the problem as much
as I had hoped. The main reason why it was so hard cuz the guy I talked to
didn't even know what NAT was or what I was talking about. So both of us were
kinda like uhhhh....
Anyway, what should I ask? Should I ask to set up a DMZ? I heard about the
risks involved with DMZ however. What are my other options, and how do I make
it clear that I want it done?
I hate being newbie at computers ;)
Awaiting your response.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Eternal,
>
> Sounds like your ISP modem is using NAT.
> Give their tech support a call and they'll configure it for you. :-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "eternal" <eternal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D9BDEFF-49E0-4501-87D6-D63B9EA2D811@microsoft.com...
> >I have NAT and DHCP on my LAN. I only use one computer in my home. It has Win
> > XP Pro with Sp2. I need to port forward in order that I can play Age of
> > Empires 2: The Conqeurors multiplayer. I am never able to join a game or host
> > one, I think because of this NAT thing. I've opened my ports through Windows
> > Firewall, yet they are still blocked (I use PortDetective to tell me this).
> > Is the reason they are blocked is because of NAT? I am able to use Aol
> > Instant Messenger and Windows Messenger just fine, in fact, I have other
> > online games (Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Age of Mythology) that do work
> > multiplayer. Yet, The Conquerors does not.
> >
> > I do not have a router. Yet I have like a Gateway Address or something?? I
> > have no idea. I have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and a "Default Gaetway"
> > address of 192.168.1.1. I have a "DNS" server and "DCHP" serves addresses:
> > 192.128.1.1 for both. I have no idea what those mean. I use an Arescom 800 as
> > my modem with MSN Boradband. It is directly hooked up to my computer.
> >
> > Can someone pleeeease help? I have been trying to fix this for hours upon
> > hours upon hours, researching all kinds of stuff, and trying all kinds of
> > stuff, but no luck. I've tried turning off my firewall, adding the programs
> > as exceptions in the firewall, opening ports (but if they're "blocked" then
> > no point in opening them, right?), turning off my Virus software, and other
> > things.
> >
> > I am so lost. Please help! Must I port forward? If so, how do I go about
> > doing it? I'm new at this, and I've gone to portforward.com, but since I
> > don't have a router, I am not able to do anything. Other sites are the same
> > way, or they don't list step by step instructions. They assume the readers
> > are all experts at computers. Anyway, awaiting a response, thanks!

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:38:46 PM

Hi Eternal,

For a better understanding of NAT, see this URL:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NAT.html

Call the tech support for that unit, and ask them to either setup a "DMZ"
(De-Militarized Zone which means the firewall is disabled) to bypass the
built-in firewall, or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you.

Here's the List of all Ports used by Zone
and DX Games: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports

If the first level agent isn't aware of these types of issues, ask to have the
issue transferred to technical support for modem connectivity issues.

--

!