Your favourite Ultima

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Which part do you like best ?

My favourite are

1. Ultima 4

2. Ultima 6

3. Savage Island

4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :( years
ago...

5. Ultima 7

6. Ultima 5

7. Ultima Underworld

8. Ultima Underworld II

Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
3...and want try again Martian Dreams...
37 answers Last reply
More about your favourite ultima
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:47:01 GMT, "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de>
    wrote:

    >Which part do you like best ?
    >
    >My favourite are
    >
    >1. Ultima 4
    >
    >2. Ultima 6
    >
    >3. Savage Island
    >
    >4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :( years
    >ago...
    >
    >5. Ultima 7
    >
    >6. Ultima 5
    >
    >7. Ultima Underworld
    >
    >8. Ultima Underworld II
    >
    >Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
    >3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

    I think my favorites would be U7BG and U4 but I like the UUWs a lot as
    well. Of course, I have played UO for about 8 years so it would have to
    count as one of the better ones.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Sorry I mispelled it should called Savage Empire :)
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    * U7BG
    * U7SI
    * U4 (First I ever played, and finished)
    * U6
    * U9
    * UW1, UW2
    * U5
    * U1, U2, U3
    * U8
    * U0

    Havent played Savage Empire or Martian Dreams.

    LVD

    "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote in message
    > Which part do you like best ?
    >
    > My favourite are
    >
    > 1. Ultima 4
    >
    > 2. Ultima 6
    >
    > 3. Savage Island
    >
    > 4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :( years
    > ago...
    >
    > 5. Ultima 7
    >
    > 6. Ultima 5
    >
    > 7. Ultima Underworld
    >
    > 8. Ultima Underworld II
    >
    > Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
    > 3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    <snip>

    All of Ultima VII. It would be difficult to rank the rest in comparison to
    each other.

    --
    The Triad
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    U7SI
    Then U7BG
    Then U9

    "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote in message
    > Which part do you like best ?
    >
    > My favourite are
    >
    > 1. Ultima 4
    >
    > 2. Ultima 6
    >
    > 3. Savage Island
    >
    > 4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :( years
    > ago...
    >
    > 5. Ultima 7
    >
    > 6. Ultima 5
    >
    > 7. Ultima Underworld
    >
    > 8. Ultima Underworld II
    >
    > Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
    > 3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    I think i replayed U5 the most. It was the first 'real' computer game i ever
    bought.

    U7 BG & SI were pretty memorable.

    --
    Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
    Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

    Words to the wise, "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote:

    Black Gate

    Ultima V

    Serpent Isle

    Ultima IV

    Ultima VI

    Thats it pretty much I think.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Wesley wrote:

    > Which part do you like best ?

    Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

    Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    > Wesley wrote:

    > > Which part do you like best ?
    >
    > Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..

    That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
    through and through. As I still am. :)
    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "Samurai" <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote in message
    > Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    >> Wesley wrote:
    >
    >> > Which part do you like best ?
    >>
    >> Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..
    >
    > That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
    > through and through. As I still am. :)

    U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say U7 even
    topped it.

    - Borat
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Quoth Borat <borat@kazakhstan.org>:
    > U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say
    > U7 even topped it.

    A lot of people say that, but I don't agree. :) U7 looked prettier,
    certainly, but its conversation engine was nowhere near as versatile,
    and while the plot as just as non-linear as U6, it got confusing if one
    skipped ahead of Elizabeth and Abraham rather than being led around by
    the nose, following them.

    In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
    teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
    start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > Quoth Borat <borat@kazakhstan.org>:
    >> U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say
    >> U7 even topped it.
    >
    > A lot of people say that, but I don't agree. :) U7 looked prettier,
    > certainly, but its conversation engine was nowhere near as versatile,
    > and while the plot as just as non-linear as U6, it got confusing if one
    > skipped ahead of Elizabeth and Abraham rather than being led around by
    > the nose, following them.
    >
    > In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
    > teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
    > start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.

    ....I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the gargoyles?

    --
    The Triad
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    The Triad wrote:

    >> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
    >> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
    >> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
    >
    > ...I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the
    > gargoyles?

    He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
    'it didn't really matter what one did'.
    U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)

    There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    on critical objects might work too.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:

    > Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    >> Wesley wrote:
    >
    >> > Which part do you like best ?
    >>
    >> Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..
    >
    > That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
    > through and through. As I still am. :)

    Perhaps it's because I played U7 most recently. I'll have to do U6
    again now. And try to avoid cheating..

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
    > The Triad wrote:
    >
    >>> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
    >>> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
    >>> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
    >>
    >> ...I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the
    >> gargoyles?
    >
    > He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
    > 'it didn't really matter what one did'.
    > U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)

    Ahh. *smiles*

    > There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    > plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    > on critical objects might work too.

    *grins*

    (How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
    didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected if
    their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more or
    less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)

    *smiles quietly to self, imagining*

    --
    The Triad
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    The Triad wrote:
    > "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
    >>'it didn't really matter what one did'.
    >>U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)
    >
    > Ahh. *smiles*
    >
    >>There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    >>plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    >>on critical objects might work too.
    >
    > *grins*
    >
    > (How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
    > didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected if
    > their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more or
    > less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)

    You can't burn corpses, but for about 30 gold a pop, you can get the nice man
    in Empath to do it for you. His eyes gleam fiendishly as he notices the
    body you are carrying.

    If you kill someone but leave them around, you can resurrect their bodies,
    although it isn't always successful (hence my 'undead' utility to resurrect
    people's minds). I've heard there is a way to force a soft-reset of people
    using magic (the Charm or Fear spells might work, something that changes
    their internal goals) but I've never actually got around to trying it.

    If you burn or otherwise lose the body, resurrection becomes vastly more
    difficult, although it is possible to achieve with a bit of hacking
    (e.g. sacrificing Dupre, and then resurrecting him with the other NPC's
    mind). This also transforms Dupre's body into a more suitable host, so you
    won't get Finn etc running around in the form of a knight.
    [See the U6 section of my website for the gory details.]

    It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know about
    immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
    It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
    might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
    Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).

    Definitely worth trying.. >:-)

    [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

    > *smiles quietly to self, imagining*

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Developing a U6/U7 clone http://ire.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KA u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    > [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

    Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
    certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > The Triad wrote:
    >> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
    >>>He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
    >>>'it didn't really matter what one did'.
    >>>U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)
    >>
    >> Ahh. *smiles*
    >>
    >>>There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    >>>plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    >>>on critical objects might work too.
    >>
    >> *grins*
    >>
    >> (How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
    >> didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected
    >> if their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more
    >> or less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)
    >
    > You can't burn corpses, but for about 30 gold a pop, you can get the nice
    > man
    > in Empath to do it for you. His eyes gleam fiendishly as he notices the
    > body you are carrying.
    >
    > If you kill someone but leave them around, you can resurrect their bodies,
    > although it isn't always successful (hence my 'undead' utility to
    > resurrect
    > people's minds). I've heard there is a way to force a soft-reset of
    > people
    > using magic (the Charm or Fear spells might work, something that changes
    > their internal goals) but I've never actually got around to trying it.
    >
    > If you burn or otherwise lose the body, resurrection becomes vastly more
    > difficult, although it is possible to achieve with a bit of hacking
    > (e.g. sacrificing Dupre, and then resurrecting him with the other NPC's
    > mind). This also transforms Dupre's body into a more suitable host, so
    > you
    > won't get Finn etc running around in the form of a knight.
    > [See the U6 section of my website for the gory details.]
    >
    > It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know
    > about
    > immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
    > It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
    > might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
    > Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).
    >
    > Definitely worth trying.. >:-)
    >
    > [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

    ....very interesting...

    *curiously goes to website to refresh memory*

    --
    The Triad
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    <snip>

    Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
    alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?

    Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
    cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?
    Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
    character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what is
    the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
    character?

    *wonders*

    (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
    And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
    *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

    --
    The Triad
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    The Triad wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
    > alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?

    > Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
    > cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?

    Probably. I didn't try that, though.

    Resurrecting copies of people is.. interesting. I resurrected Tiberius
    (who was the healer doing the resurrection) but I only ended up with
    one person and 400 less gold.

    However, resurrecting someone far away does seem to work, although I
    suspect that the game has merely 'summoned' them from their original
    location. I did this was Naxatillor the Seer.
    I also did it with Smith, although I'd forgotten the original was
    still alive.

    Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
    cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
    him from resurrecting properly.

    As for Smith, that was not so good:
    http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif

    (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
    Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
    Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
    a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)

    > Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
    > character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what is
    > the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
    > character?

    I suspect that it has to be a 'dead body' class object for the healer
    to recognise it as a corpse.. they don't usually offer to resurrect
    cheeses. You might be able to get the 'frame overflow' effect to create
    a corpse in the shape of a cheese, though the numbers are probably
    too far out for that.

    > *wonders*
    >
    > (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
    > And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
    > *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

    I don't use that spell much, and I can't remember what it does.
    IIRC 'enchant' allows you to make weapons come to life and kill people
    in Your name..

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:

    > Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    >> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]
    >
    > Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
    > certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)

    Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > The Triad wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
    >> alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?
    >
    >> Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
    >> cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?
    >
    > Probably. I didn't try that, though.
    >
    > Resurrecting copies of people is.. interesting. I resurrected Tiberius
    > (who was the healer doing the resurrection) but I only ended up with
    > one person and 400 less gold.
    >
    > However, resurrecting someone far away does seem to work, although I
    > suspect that the game has merely 'summoned' them from their original
    > location. I did this was Naxatillor the Seer.
    > I also did it with Smith, although I'd forgotten the original was
    > still alive.
    >
    > Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
    > cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
    > him from resurrecting properly.
    >
    > As for Smith, that was not so good:
    > http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif

    *amusement*

    > (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
    > Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
    > Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
    > a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)

    *thinks; goes to look up*

    >> Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
    >> character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what
    >> is
    >> the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
    >> character?
    >
    > I suspect that it has to be a 'dead body' class object for the healer
    > to recognise it as a corpse.. they don't usually offer to resurrect
    > cheeses. You might be able to get the 'frame overflow' effect to create
    > a corpse in the shape of a cheese,

    *nods* That was the idea.

    > though the numbers are probably
    > too far out for that.

    Ah, well.

    >> *wonders*
    >>
    >> (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
    >> And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
    >> *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)
    >
    > I don't use that spell much, and I can't remember what it does.
    > IIRC 'enchant' allows you to make weapons come to life and kill people
    > in Your name..

    Hmm. Interesting.

    --
    The Triad
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    The Triad wrote:

    >> Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
    >> cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
    >> him from resurrecting properly.
    >>
    >> As for Smith, that was not so good:
    >> http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif
    >
    > *amusement*
    >
    >> (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
    >> Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
    >> Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
    >> a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)
    >
    > *thinks; goes to look up*

    This doesn't really do it justice, but:

    http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Quoth "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>:
    > Samurai wrote:
    >> And certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
    >
    > Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

    Hence the comment about being drawn. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > The Triad wrote:
    >
    >>> Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
    >>> cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
    >>> him from resurrecting properly.
    >>>
    >>> As for Smith, that was not so good:
    >>> http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif
    >>
    >> *amusement*
    >>
    >>> (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
    >>> Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
    >>> Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
    >>> a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)
    >>
    >> *thinks; goes to look up*
    >
    > This doesn't really do it justice, but:
    >
    > http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm

    Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry, what
    is the music like?

    --
    The Triad
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    The Triad wrote:

    > "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

    >>> *amusement*

    >>> *thinks; goes to look up*
    >>
    >> This doesn't really do it justice, but:
    >>
    >> http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm
    >
    > Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
    > what is the music like?

    On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
    which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
    is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
    I have not heard the studio version.

    Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
    and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
    d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > The Triad wrote:
    >
    >> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

    >>> This doesn't really do it justice, but:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm
    >>
    >> Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
    >> what is the music like?
    >
    > On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
    > which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
    > is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
    > I have not heard the studio version.
    >
    > Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
    > and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

    Ah.

    *thinks*

    ....for the record, I've never (to my knowledge) heard anything even vaguely
    related to the terms mentioned in your last paragraph.

    Can the equivalent be explained in practical terms? If not, thank you
    anyway.

    --
    The Triad
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <Fk9ne.8682$BR4.7134@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Wesley wrote:
    > Which part do you like best ?

    In order from best to worst:

    Ultima V
    Ultima IV
    Ultima III
    Ultima VII
    Ultima VI
    Serpent Isle
    Savage Empire
    Ultima VIII
    Martian Dreams
    Ultima I
    Ultima IX
    Ultima II
    Akalabeth

    Haven't yet got around to playing the Ultima Underworlds, so no ranking for
    them.

    For reference, here's roughly the order in which I started playing them and
    when I finished them:

    Ultima III (ca. 1986, completed ca. 1991)
    Ultima IV (ca. 1987, completed ca. 1992)
    Ultima V (25 December 1988, completed ca. 1994)
    Ultima I (1988, completed ca. 1997)
    Ultima II (1988, never completed)
    Ultima VI (25 December 1990, completed ca. 1991)
    Savage Empire (1990, completed ca. 1991)
    Martian Dreams (1991, completed 1991)
    Ultima VIII (1994, completed 1995)
    Ultima VII (1997, completed 1997)
    Serpent Isle (1998, never completed due to annoying bug)
    Ultima IX (September 2000, completed 2000)
    Akalabeth (2001, never completed)

    Ultimas I through V were played on the Commodore 64; the rest on an IBM PC.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in news:429f52e4$0$7587$ed2619ec@ptn-
    nntp-reader03.plus.net:

    > There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    > plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    > on critical objects might work too.

    Which reminds me, you ever play Knights of The Old Republic (I or II)?
    Not only can you be a complete bastard, the game recognizes that you're a
    complete bastard and starts to play along.
    The Ultima games needed more multiple endings.

    -==Kensu==-
    "You're the Avatar! You were supposed to destroy Lord Blackthorn, not join
    him!" -Dupre/Ultima V alternate ending
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in news:42a336bd$0$25428$ed2619ec@ptn-
    nntp-reader02.plus.net:

    > Samurai wrote:
    >
    >> Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
    >>> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]
    >>
    >> Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
    >> certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
    >
    > Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

    Are you talking about ressurecting a dead body while they're still in
    someone's inventory?
    As I recall they simply walk out of the character's icon...

    -==Kensu==-
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <MPG.1d08f908604d8deb9898a0@usenet.plus.net>, Samurai wrote:
    > In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
    > teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
    > start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.

    Actually, that's one thing I didn't really like about U6. A certain level
    of non-linearity was most welcome, of course, but U6 made it too easy to
    circumvent most of the plot. The first time I played it, I simply guessed
    where the treasure cave was instead of collecting pieces of the map. It
    would have been nicer, IMO, if the game forced you to go on all the map
    quests before it let you find the cave. This would not have broken
    linearity, since you can still collect the pieces in any order.

    Likewise I think it replay value would be extended if the orb of moons
    wasn't quite so powerful. It gives one too many shortcuts to areas of the
    game that can only otherwise be reached by solving quests and good
    old-fashioned exploration and dungeon-trekking. Rather than let you
    teleport anywhere right from the beginning of the game, I think a better
    system would have been to allow you to teleport to only those destinations
    you had already visited. (IIRC, this is how teleportation worked in
    Ultima VIII.)

    By exploiting the orb of moons and knowledge of the plot gained from
    previous playings, a player can probably complete Ultima VI in as little
    as an hour or two.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <Xns9671ED544B7D0kensuhotmailcom@207.115.63.158>, Chris
    Schumacher wrote:

    > "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in
    > news:429f52e4$0$7587$ed2619ec@ptn- nntp-reader03.plus.net:
    >
    >> There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
    >> plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
    >> on critical objects might work too.
    >
    > Which reminds me, you ever play Knights of The Old Republic (I or II)?
    > Not only can you be a complete bastard, the game recognizes that you're a
    > complete bastard and starts to play along.
    > The Ultima games needed more multiple endings.
    >
    > -==Kensu==-
    > "You're the Avatar! You were supposed to destroy Lord Blackthorn, not
    > join him!" -Dupre/Ultima V alternate ending

    Actually, Ultima V is indeed one of the few Ultimas that has an alternative
    ending. Don't tell me you've never fought your way through to the bottom
    Dungeon Doom only to inform Lord British that you've forgotten to bring
    the sandalwood box!

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <42A06778.7000601@it-he.org>, JP Morris wrote:
    > It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know
    > about immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
    > It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
    > might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
    > Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).
    >
    > Definitely worth trying.. >:-)

    If it's not possible to resurrect winged gargoyles, how about other large
    creatures? Like Smith, Pushme-Pullyu, or the friendly Cyclopses in
    Stonegate?

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <d7roiv$mmn$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, The Triad wrote:
    > (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
    > And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
    > *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

    I think any object that can be picked up can be animated. Thus, a weapon
    can be animated, but not Lord British's throne. They tend to simply
    wander around until you either kill them or walk too far off-screen. I'm
    not sure if the designers had any real purpose in mind for this spell
    except as something neat to do.

    However, animation is a good way of replicating rare and irreplicatable
    objects such as magic wands. Simply animate the wand, then cast the Clone
    spell on it as many times as desired, and then kill all the animated
    clones. Killing them does not make them disappear; they just revert to
    normal objects which you can pick up and use.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Greetings.

    In article <d86kvr$c4t$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, The Triad wrote:

    >>> Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
    >>> what is the music like?
    >>
    >> On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
    >> which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
    >> is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
    >> I have not heard the studio version.
    >>
    >> Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
    >> and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.
    >
    > Ah.
    >
    > *thinks*
    >
    > ...for the record, I've never (to my knowledge) heard anything even
    > vaguely related to the terms mentioned in your last paragraph.
    >
    > Can the equivalent be explained in practical terms? If not, thank you
    > anyway.

    Hawkwind, at least in their 1970s incarnation, are generally regarded as
    the founding fathers of the space rock genre. If you want a modern
    equivalent, think Monster Magnet, who were heavily influenced by Hawkwind
    and even cover some of their songs.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
    > and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

    IM's Seventh Son is more like hard rock then metal. Too merry for metal :)

    --
    Max
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Quoth Tristan Miller <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com>:
    > Actually, that's one thing I didn't really like about U6. A
    > certain level of non-linearity was most welcome, of course, but U6
    > made it too easy to circumvent most of the plot. The first time I
    > played it, I simply guessed where the treasure cave was instead of
    > collecting pieces of the map. It would have been nicer, IMO, if
    > the game forced you to go on all the map quests before it let you
    > find the cave. This would not have broken linearity, since you
    > can still collect the pieces in any order.

    I thought the fact you could do things as you saw fit was a major strength of U6,
    because it made the world feel more real, and my interactions with it more my
    choices than the programmers'. YMMV, clearly.

    > Likewise I think it replay value would be extended if the orb of
    > moons wasn't quite so powerful. It gives one too many shortcuts
    > to areas of the game that can only otherwise be reached by solving
    > quests and good old-fashioned exploration and dungeon-trekking.
    > Rather than let you teleport anywhere right from the beginning of
    > the game, I think a better system would have been to allow you to
    > teleport to only those destinations you had already visited.
    > (IIRC, this is how teleportation worked in Ultima VIII.)

    I must admit, I thought the Orb was perhaps a little more than the Avatar needed to
    go about his business, so there at least we're in broad agreement.

    > By exploiting the orb of moons and knowledge of the plot gained
    > from previous playings, a player can probably complete Ultima VI
    > in as little as an hour or two.

    True enough. But if one has already played it to completion, finishing it quickly
    isn't so much of a problem, is it? :)

    Wasn't there a speed record for completing a couple of the Ultimas claimed a while
    back...?

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29

Computers Video Games