  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 1, 2005 6:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Which part do you like best ?

My favourite are

1. Ultima 4

2. Ultima 6

3. Savage Island

4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :(  years
ago...

5. Ultima 7

6. Ultima 5

7. Ultima Underworld

8. Ultima Underworld II

Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

More about : favourite ultima

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:47:01 GMT, "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de>
wrote:

>Which part do you like best ?
>
>My favourite are
>
>1. Ultima 4
>
>2. Ultima 6
>
>3. Savage Island
>
>4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :(  years
>ago...
>
>5. Ultima 7
>
>6. Ultima 5
>
>7. Ultima Underworld
>
>8. Ultima Underworld II
>
>Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
>3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

I think my favorites would be U7BG and U4 but I like the UUWs a lot as
well. Of course, I have played UO for about 8 years so it would have to
count as one of the better ones.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Sorry I mispelled it should called Savage Empire :)
June 1, 2005 11:34:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

* U7BG
* U7SI
* U4 (First I ever played, and finished)
* U6
* U9
* UW1, UW2
* U5
* U1, U2, U3
* U8
* U0

Havent played Savage Empire or Martian Dreams.

LVD

"Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote in message
> Which part do you like best ?
>
> My favourite are
>
> 1. Ultima 4
>
> 2. Ultima 6
>
> 3. Savage Island
>
> 4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :(  years
> ago...
>
> 5. Ultima 7
>
> 6. Ultima 5
>
> 7. Ultima Underworld
>
> 8. Ultima Underworld II
>
> Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
> 3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:19:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

<snip>

All of Ultima VII. It would be difficult to rank the rest in comparison to
each other.

--
The Triad
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

U7SI
Then U7BG
Then U9

"Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote in message
> Which part do you like best ?
>
> My favourite are
>
> 1. Ultima 4
>
> 2. Ultima 6
>
> 3. Savage Island
>
> 4. Martian Dreams ( Unfinished ) lost save game by HDD failure :(  years
> ago...
>
> 5. Ultima 7
>
> 6. Ultima 5
>
> 7. Ultima Underworld
>
> 8. Ultima Underworld II
>
> Not yet play Serpent Isle, Ultima 8, Ultima 9...I will try play Ultima
> 3...and want try again Martian Dreams...

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I think i replayed U5 the most. It was the first 'real' computer game i ever
bought.

U7 BG & SI were pretty memorable.

--
Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Words to the wise, "Wesley" <Wesley@isyourffriend.de> wrote:

Black Gate

Ultima V

Serpent Isle

Ultima IV

Ultima VI

Thats it pretty much I think.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:08:40 PM

Wesley wrote:

> Which part do you like best ?

Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
> Wesley wrote:

> > Which part do you like best ?
>
> Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..

That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
through and through. As I still am. :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:45:53 AM

"Samurai" <Samurai@dev.nul> wrote in message
> Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>> Wesley wrote:
>
>> > Which part do you like best ?
>>
>> Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..
>
> That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
> through and through. As I still am. :)

U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say U7 even
topped it.

- Borat
June 2, 2005 4:08:39 PM

Quoth Borat <borat@kazakhstan.org>:
> U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say
> U7 even topped it.

A lot of people say that, but I don't agree. :)  U7 looked prettier,
certainly, but its conversation engine was nowhere near as versatile,
and while the plot as just as non-linear as U6, it got confusing if one
skipped ahead of Elizabeth and Abraham rather than being led around by
the nose, following them.

In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:27:28 PM

> Quoth Borat <borat@kazakhstan.org>:
>> U6 was the first game that I completely obsessed over. But I'd say
>> U7 even topped it.
>
> A lot of people say that, but I don't agree. :)  U7 looked prettier,
> certainly, but its conversation engine was nowhere near as versatile,
> and while the plot as just as non-linear as U6, it got confusing if one
> skipped ahead of Elizabeth and Abraham rather than being led around by
> the nose, following them.
>
> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.

....I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the gargoyles?

--
The Triad
Anonymous

The Triad wrote:

>> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
>> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
>> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
>
> ...I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the
> gargoyles?

He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
'it didn't really matter what one did'.
U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)

There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
on critical objects might work too.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 2, 2005 11:48:32 PM

Samurai wrote:

> Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>> Wesley wrote:
>
>> > Which part do you like best ?
>>
>> Ultima 6 or Ultima 7.. can't decide..
>
> That's something of a turn-around. You always used to be a U6 man
> through and through. As I still am. :)

Perhaps it's because I played U7 most recently. I'll have to do U6
again now. And try to avoid cheating..

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 3, 2005 1:16:40 PM

"J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
> The Triad wrote:
>
>>> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
>>> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
>>> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.
>>
>> ...I've forgotten. What happened if one just slaughtered all the
>> gargoyles?
>
> He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
> 'it didn't really matter what one did'.
> U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)

Ahh. *smiles*

> There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
> plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
> on critical objects might work too.

*grins*

(How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected if
their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more or
less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)

*smiles quietly to self, imagining*

--
The Triad
Anonymous

The Triad wrote:
> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
>
>>He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
>>'it didn't really matter what one did'.
>>U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)
>
> Ahh. *smiles*
>
>>There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
>>plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
>>on critical objects might work too.
>
> *grins*
>
> (How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
> didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected if
> their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more or
> less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)

You can't burn corpses, but for about 30 gold a pop, you can get the nice man
in Empath to do it for you. His eyes gleam fiendishly as he notices the
body you are carrying.

If you kill someone but leave them around, you can resurrect their bodies,
although it isn't always successful (hence my 'undead' utility to resurrect
people's minds). I've heard there is a way to force a soft-reset of people
using magic (the Charm or Fear spells might work, something that changes
their internal goals) but I've never actually got around to trying it.

If you burn or otherwise lose the body, resurrection becomes vastly more
difficult, although it is possible to achieve with a bit of hacking
(e.g. sacrificing Dupre, and then resurrecting him with the other NPC's
mind). This also transforms Dupre's body into a more suitable host, so you
won't get Finn etc running around in the form of a knight.
[See the U6 section of my website for the gory details.]

It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know about
immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).

Definitely worth trying.. >:-)

[What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

> *smiles quietly to self, imagining*

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Developing a U6/U7 clone http://ire.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KA u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 4, 2005 5:03:46 AM

Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:29:43 PM

> The Triad wrote:
>> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
>>>He said 'it didn't really matter what ORDER one did things', not
>>>'it didn't really matter what one did'.
>>>U6 isn't self-stabilising enough to prevent sabotage >:-)
>>
>> Ahh. *smiles*
>>
>>>There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
>>>plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
>>>on critical objects might work too.
>>
>> *grins*
>>
>> (How does one burn a corpse? And what happened if one killed them, but
>> didn't then burn their corpses? Or was it that they could be ressurected
>> if their corpses weren't burned? *thinks for a moment* To sum up, more
>> or less--could one ressurect gargoyles?)
>
> You can't burn corpses, but for about 30 gold a pop, you can get the nice
> man
> in Empath to do it for you. His eyes gleam fiendishly as he notices the
> body you are carrying.
>
> If you kill someone but leave them around, you can resurrect their bodies,
> although it isn't always successful (hence my 'undead' utility to
> resurrect
> people's minds). I've heard there is a way to force a soft-reset of
> people
> using magic (the Charm or Fear spells might work, something that changes
> their internal goals) but I've never actually got around to trying it.
>
> If you burn or otherwise lose the body, resurrection becomes vastly more
> difficult, although it is possible to achieve with a bit of hacking
> (e.g. sacrificing Dupre, and then resurrecting him with the other NPC's
> mind). This also transforms Dupre's body into a more suitable host, so
> you
> won't get Finn etc running around in the form of a knight.
> [See the U6 section of my website for the gory details.]
>
> It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know
> about
> immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
> It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
> might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
> Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).
>
> Definitely worth trying.. >:-)
>
> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]

....very interesting...

*curiously goes to website to refresh memory*

--
The Triad
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

<snip>

Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?

Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?
Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what is
the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
character?

*wonders*

(Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
*...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

--
The Triad
Anonymous

The Triad wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
> alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?

> Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
> cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?

Probably. I didn't try that, though.

Resurrecting copies of people is.. interesting. I resurrected Tiberius
(who was the healer doing the resurrection) but I only ended up with
one person and 400 less gold.

However, resurrecting someone far away does seem to work, although I
suspect that the game has merely 'summoned' them from their original
location. I did this was Naxatillor the Seer.
I also did it with Smith, although I'd forgotten the original was
still alive.

Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
him from resurrecting properly.

As for Smith, that was not so good:
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif

(I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)

> Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
> character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what is
> the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
> character?

I suspect that it has to be a 'dead body' class object for the healer
to recognise it as a corpse.. they don't usually offer to resurrect
cheeses. You might be able to get the 'frame overflow' effect to create
a corpse in the shape of a cheese, though the numbers are probably
too far out for that.

> *wonders*
>
> (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
> And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
> *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

I don't use that spell much, and I can't remember what it does.
IIRC 'enchant' allows you to make weapons come to life and kill people
in Your name..

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 5, 2005 10:36:36 PM

Samurai wrote:

> Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]
>
> Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
> certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)

Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 7, 2005 12:01:16 AM

> The Triad wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Thoughts: what happens if you give a corpse the number of someone yet
>> alive? What happens if you give it the Avatar's number?
>
>> Also, what defines a corpse to be a corpse, as far as healers and
>> cremationists are concerned? Could 'spare parts' be ordered via Iolo?
>
> Probably. I didn't try that, though.
>
> Resurrecting copies of people is.. interesting. I resurrected Tiberius
> (who was the healer doing the resurrection) but I only ended up with
> one person and 400 less gold.
>
> However, resurrecting someone far away does seem to work, although I
> suspect that the game has merely 'summoned' them from their original
> location. I did this was Naxatillor the Seer.
> I also did it with Smith, although I'd forgotten the original was
> still alive.
>
> Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
> cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
> him from resurrecting properly.
>
> As for Smith, that was not so good:
> http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif

*amusement*

> (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
> Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
> Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
> a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)

*thinks; goes to look up*

>> Could one have a piece of cheese that one could ressurect into a dead
>> character, or an edible corpse? And with the former, if possible, what
>> is
>> the result of attempting to ressurect the original corpse of the dead
>> character?
>
> I suspect that it has to be a 'dead body' class object for the healer
> to recognise it as a corpse.. they don't usually offer to resurrect
> cheeses. You might be able to get the 'frame overflow' effect to create
> a corpse in the shape of a cheese,

*nods* That was the idea.

> though the numbers are probably
> too far out for that.

Ah, well.

>> *wonders*
>>
>> (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
>> And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
>> *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)
>
> I don't use that spell much, and I can't remember what it does.
> IIRC 'enchant' allows you to make weapons come to life and kill people
> in Your name..

Hmm. Interesting.

--
The Triad
Anonymous

The Triad wrote:

>> Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
>> cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
>> him from resurrecting properly.
>>
>> As for Smith, that was not so good:
>> http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif
>
> *amusement*
>
>> (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
>> Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
>> Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
>> a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)
>
> *thinks; goes to look up*

This doesn't really do it justice, but:

http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 7, 2005 3:14:01 AM

Quoth "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>:
> Samurai wrote:
>> And certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
>
> Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

Hence the comment about being drawn. :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:03:42 PM

> The Triad wrote:
>
>>> Naxatillor worked perfectly, although I had to kill him with a
>>> cannon I summoned up, since killing him in cold blood will prevent
>>> him from resurrecting properly.
>>>
>>> As for Smith, that was not so good:
>>> http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/magnu.gif
>>
>> *amusement*
>>
>>> (I was listening to 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' at the time.
>>> Just as I got around to Tiberius, with Finn programmed to be
>>> Smith, it began playing 'The Conjuration Of Magnu', also about
>>> a horse being summoned. I thought it was extremely apt.)
>>
>> *thinks; goes to look up*
>
> This doesn't really do it justice, but:
>
> http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm

Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry, what
is the music like?

--
The Triad
Anonymous

The Triad wrote:

> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

>>> *amusement*

>>> *thinks; goes to look up*
>>
>> This doesn't really do it justice, but:
>>
>> http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm
>
> Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
> what is the music like?

On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
I have not heard the studio version.

Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
June 8, 2005 4:32:10 PM

> The Triad wrote:
>
>> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

>>> This doesn't really do it justice, but:
>>>
>>> http://www.hawkwind.com/lyr/mag.htm
>>
>> Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
>> what is the music like?
>
> On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
> which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
> is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
> I have not heard the studio version.
>
> Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
> and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

Ah.

*thinks*

....for the record, I've never (to my knowledge) heard anything even vaguely
related to the terms mentioned in your last paragraph.

Can the equivalent be explained in practical terms? If not, thank you
anyway.

--
The Triad
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <Fk9ne.8682$BR4.7134@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Wesley wrote:
> Which part do you like best ?

In order from best to worst:

Ultima V
Ultima IV
Ultima III
Ultima VII
Ultima VI
Serpent Isle
Savage Empire
Ultima VIII
Martian Dreams
Ultima I
Ultima IX
Ultima II
Akalabeth

Haven't yet got around to playing the Ultima Underworlds, so no ranking for
them.

For reference, here's roughly the order in which I started playing them and
when I finished them:

Ultima III (ca. 1986, completed ca. 1991)
Ultima IV (ca. 1987, completed ca. 1992)
Ultima V (25 December 1988, completed ca. 1994)
Ultima I (1988, completed ca. 1997)
Ultima II (1988, never completed)
Ultima VI (25 December 1990, completed ca. 1991)
Savage Empire (1990, completed ca. 1991)
Martian Dreams (1991, completed 1991)
Ultima VIII (1994, completed 1995)
Ultima VII (1997, completed 1997)
Serpent Isle (1998, never completed due to annoying bug)
Ultima IX (September 2000, completed 2000)
Akalabeth (2001, never completed)

Ultimas I through V were played on the Commodore 64; the rest on an IBM PC.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 11, 2005 8:19:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

"J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in news:429f52e4$0$7587$ed2619ec@ptn-
nntp-reader03.plus.net:

> There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
> plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
> on critical objects might work too.

Which reminds me, you ever play Knights of The Old Republic (I or II)?
Not only can you be a complete bastard, the game recognizes that you're a
complete bastard and starts to play along.
The Ultima games needed more multiple endings.

-==Kensu==-
"You're the Avatar! You were supposed to destroy Lord Blackthorn, not join
him!" -Dupre/Ultima V alternate ending
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:21:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

"J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in news:42a336bd$0$25428$ed2619ec@ptn-
nntp-reader02.plus.net:

> Samurai wrote:
>
>> Quoth JP Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>>> [What happens if you resurrect Smith into Dupre's body..?]
>>
>> Lumina might get on a bit better with Smith if he saw him drunk. And
>> certainly if he saw him drawn. ;)
>
> Well, it cuts him in half. Is that good enough?

Are you talking about ressurecting a dead body while they're still in
someone's inventory?
As I recall they simply walk out of the character's icon...

-==Kensu==-
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:15:05 AM

In article <MPG.1d08f908604d8deb9898a0@usenet.plus.net>, Samurai wrote:
> In U6, it didn't really matter what order one did things -- even
> teleporting to the gargoyle world with the Orb of the Moons at the
> start of the game had a built-in way of balancing things out.

Actually, that's one thing I didn't really like about U6. A certain level
of non-linearity was most welcome, of course, but U6 made it too easy to
circumvent most of the plot. The first time I played it, I simply guessed
where the treasure cave was instead of collecting pieces of the map. It
would have been nicer, IMO, if the game forced you to go on all the map
quests before it let you find the cave. This would not have broken
linearity, since you can still collect the pieces in any order.

Likewise I think it replay value would be extended if the orb of moons
wasn't quite so powerful. It gives one too many shortcuts to areas of the
game that can only otherwise be reached by solving quests and good
old-fashioned exploration and dungeon-trekking. Rather than let you
teleport anywhere right from the beginning of the game, I think a better
system would have been to allow you to teleport to only those destinations
you had already visited. (IIRC, this is how teleportation worked in
Ultima VIII.)

By exploiting the orb of moons and knowledge of the plot gained from
previous playings, a player can probably complete Ultima VI in as little
as an hour or two.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 12, 2005 8:17:10 AM

In article <Xns9671ED544B7D0kensuhotmailcom@207.115.63.158>, Chris
Schumacher wrote:

> "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in
> news:429f52e4$0$7587$ed2619ec@ptn- nntp-reader03.plus.net:
>
>> There's a lot of ways you could total the game, killing key
>> plot characters and then burning their corpses.. casting VANISH
>> on critical objects might work too.
>
> Which reminds me, you ever play Knights of The Old Republic (I or II)?
> Not only can you be a complete bastard, the game recognizes that you're a
> complete bastard and starts to play along.
> The Ultima games needed more multiple endings.
>
> -==Kensu==-
> "You're the Avatar! You were supposed to destroy Lord Blackthorn, not
> join him!" -Dupre/Ultima V alternate ending

Actually, Ultima V is indeed one of the few Ultimas that has an alternative
ending. Don't tell me you've never fought your way through to the bottom
Dungeon Doom only to inform Lord British that you've forgotten to bring
the sandalwood box!

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 12, 2005 8:20:48 AM

In article <42A06778.7000601@it-he.org>, JP Morris wrote:
> It is impossible to resurrect mature gargoyles in-game. I don't know
> about immature/wingless gargoyles, such as Beh-Lem.
> It should be possible to resurrect Dupre's body into a gargoyle, but you
> might only get 1/4 of the body or other nasty effects (like when joining
> Smith into the party.. his ass gets left behind when he moves around).
>
> Definitely worth trying.. >:-)

If it's not possible to resurrect winged gargoyles, how about other large
creatures? Like Smith, Pushme-Pullyu, or the friendly Cyclopses in
Stonegate?

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 12, 2005 8:26:28 AM

In article <d7roiv$mmn$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, The Triad wrote:
> (Also, a more semi-mundane question: what objects /cannot/ be Animated?
> And what do Animated objects generally do, or how do they act?
> *...imagines, smiling quietly to himself...*)

I think any object that can be picked up can be animated. Thus, a weapon
can be animated, but not Lord British's throne. They tend to simply
wander around until you either kill them or walk too far off-screen. I'm
not sure if the designers had any real purpose in mind for this spell
except as something neat to do.

However, animation is a good way of replicating rare and irreplicatable
objects such as magic wands. Simply animate the wand, then cast the Clone
spell on it as many times as desired, and then kill all the animated
clones. Killing them does not make them disappear; they just revert to
normal objects which you can pick up and use.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 12, 2005 8:27:58 AM

In article <d86kvr$c4t$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, The Triad wrote:

>>> Very interesting. Assuming that in its totality it's not just poetry,
>>> what is the music like?
>>
>> On this album ('Live Chronicles') there are two tracks, the intro,
>> which is the first verse spoken word, followed by the main track which
>> is pretty much the same flavour as the rest of the album.
>> I have not heard the studio version.
>>
>> Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
>> and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.
>
> Ah.
>
> *thinks*
>
> ...for the record, I've never (to my knowledge) heard anything even
> vaguely related to the terms mentioned in your last paragraph.
>
> Can the equivalent be explained in practical terms? If not, thank you
> anyway.

Hawkwind, at least in their 1970s incarnation, are generally regarded as
the founding fathers of the space rock genre. If you want a modern
equivalent, think Monster Magnet, who were heavily influenced by Hawkwind
and even cover some of their songs.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
June 12, 2005 5:48:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> Think mid 80's epic metal. I see a lot of parallels with Spinal Tap,
> and Iron Maiden's vaguely prog-like 'Seventh Son' album.

IM's Seventh Son is more like hard rock then metal. Too merry for metal :)

--
Max
June 13, 2005 2:42:18 AM

Quoth Tristan Miller <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com>:
> Actually, that's one thing I didn't really like about U6. A
> certain level of non-linearity was most welcome, of course, but U6
> made it too easy to circumvent most of the plot. The first time I
> played it, I simply guessed where the treasure cave was instead of
> collecting pieces of the map. It would have been nicer, IMO, if
> the game forced you to go on all the map quests before it let you
> find the cave. This would not have broken linearity, since you
> can still collect the pieces in any order.

I thought the fact you could do things as you saw fit was a major strength of U6,
because it made the world feel more real, and my interactions with it more my
choices than the programmers'. YMMV, clearly.

> Likewise I think it replay value would be extended if the orb of
> moons wasn't quite so powerful. It gives one too many shortcuts
> to areas of the game that can only otherwise be reached by solving
> quests and good old-fashioned exploration and dungeon-trekking.
> Rather than let you teleport anywhere right from the beginning of
> the game, I think a better system would have been to allow you to
> teleport to only those destinations you had already visited.
> (IIRC, this is how teleportation worked in Ultima VIII.)

I must admit, I thought the Orb was perhaps a little more than the Avatar needed to
go about his business, so there at least we're in broad agreement.

> By exploiting the orb of moons and knowledge of the plot gained
> from previous playings, a player can probably complete Ultima VI
> in as little as an hour or two.

True enough. But if one has already played it to completion, finishing it quickly
isn't so much of a problem, is it? :)

Wasn't there a speed record for completing a couple of the Ultimas claimed a while
back...?

\^\^//
!