DDR400 performance with T-bird 1400?

Jpeg_Jones

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2003
I'm upgrading in steps and just put in a new motherboard (DFI LanParty KT400A).

I have a stick of 512MB DDR400, although for now I am still using my 1400 Tbird. I'm getting Sandra memory scores of around 1,900 MB/s.

I was expecting the memory to be more in the 3,000 MB/s range. Is it because the CPU is still using a 266Mhz bus, while the memory is at 400? In other words, how much effect does the CPU bus speed have on memory that is at a higher bus speed?

Will this all get solved when I can finally buy that XP3200 CPU or am I just missing some sort of BIOS setting?

sturm

Splendid
Have you looked in the bios to see what the FSB is running at. Bet ya its at 266 to match the cpu. If the bios lets you adjust the memory fsb seperate from the cpu fsb you can up it to 200 but then you will be running out of synch with the cpu which can hurt performance.

Yes when you put in the 3200 with a 400 fsb the memory should change to 400 also.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your CPU can only send/receive data at 2100MB/s, hence your PC2100 like bandwidth.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>