UC - moslo shortcuts in XP?

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I had all the games working correctly slowed down with Moslo on my previous
computer running Win98. I just installed the UC on my newer system with XP.
The games all run, but super fast. When I try to use the moslo shortcuts, I
just get a black dos window that says Mo'Slo Deluze v2.1 Copyright....blah
blah with a blinking cursor. The game never appears. Will these not work
in XP?

--

Borat

"Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote in message
>I had all the games working correctly slowed down with Moslo on my previous
>computer running Win98. I just installed the UC on my newer system with XP.
>The games all run, but super fast. When I try to use the moslo shortcuts,
>I just get a black dos window that says Mo'Slo Deluze v2.1
>Copyright....blah blah with a blinking cursor. The game never appears.
>Will these not work in XP?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to suggest that maybe
you can try DosBox instead. ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ )

LVD

"Lord Vashnu Dragon" <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote in message
>>I had all the games working correctly slowed down with Moslo on my
>>previous computer running Win98. I just installed the UC on my newer
>>system with XP. The games all run, but super fast. When I try to use the
>>moslo shortcuts, I just get a black dos window that says Mo'Slo Deluze
>>v2.1 Copyright....blah blah with a blinking cursor. The game never
>>appears. Will these not work in XP?
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to suggest that
> maybe you can try DosBox instead. ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ )
>
> LVD

Thanks, will do.

- Borat

"psz" <psz01@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lord Vashnu Dragon" <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to suggest that
>>> maybe you can try DosBox instead. ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ )
>>>
>>> LVD
>>
>> Thanks, will do.
>>
>> - Borat
>>

> DosBox is by far the best way to go. I've found that MoSlo (and most other
> slowdown apps, aside to maybe Win Turbo) tend not to work well (or at all)
> in NT environments such as 2000 and XP.
>
> DosBox, OTOH, allows for perfect speed, fullscreen or window modes, and
> AdLib, General MIDI, GUS, and MT32 support (more or less).
>
> Also has all those nifty modes for video (SAI, AdvMame, etc)

Thanks, I've just downloaded and installed it.

What is the best way to set this up with the UC already installed? Do I
mount the UC directory, or do I copy folders from the UC directory to the
Oldgames directory that I created? Will the various upgrade patches for the
old Ultima games(the ones that add color tiles and fix some issues, like the
save game in U2) still work?

- Borat

> "psz" <psz01@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Lord Vashnu Dragon" <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> Thanks, will do.
>>>
>>> - Borat
>>>

>> DosBox is by far the best way to go. I've found that MoSlo (and most
>> other slowdown apps, aside to maybe Win Turbo) tend not to work well (or
>> at all) in NT environments such as 2000 and XP.
>>
>> DosBox, OTOH, allows for perfect speed, fullscreen or window modes, and
>> AdLib, General MIDI, GUS, and MT32 support (more or less).
>>
>> Also has all those nifty modes for video (SAI, AdvMame, etc)
>
> Thanks, I've just downloaded and installed it.
>
> What is the best way to set this up with the UC already installed? Do I
> mount the UC directory, or do I copy folders from the UC directory to the
> Oldgames directory that I created? Will the various upgrade patches for
> the old Ultima games(the ones that add color tiles and fix some issues,
> like the save game in U2) still work?
>
> - Borat

Scratch that question, I copied folders into the oldgames directory and that
works fine. Now about speed settings. I've only tried UII, but its still
way too fast. I'm on a 3.4 Ghz P4. Is there just no way to get these real
old ones to run properly?

- Borat

Words to the wise, "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote:

>Scratch that question, I copied folders into the oldgames directory and that
>works fine. Now about speed settings. I've only tried UII, but its still
>way too fast. I'm on a 3.4 Ghz P4. Is there just no way to get these real
>old ones to run properly?

Frameset settings are your friends.

"Claus Dragon" <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message
> Words to the wise, "Borat" <borat@kazakhstan.org> wrote:
>
>>Scratch that question, I copied folders into the oldgames directory and
>>that
>>works fine. Now about speed settings. I've only tried UII, but its still
>>way too fast. I'm on a 3.4 Ghz P4. Is there just no way to get these
>>real
>>old ones to run properly?
>
> Frameset settings are your friends.

Almost better than dogs.

LVD

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> mount the UC directory, or do I copy folders from the UC directory to the
> Oldgames directory that I created?

Just copy the folders. This was enough for Ultimas.

--
Max