Slow recognition of 1 tb usb drive.

ktownmike

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I had to disconnect a 1 tb usb drive to transfer files to a different computer. Upon reconnecting usb drive got a drive is not formatted, format now? error message, said no of course. Plugged it into a different usb port and after about 10 minutes, the drive showed up all is good. Indexing is turned off for the drive, I also turned off AV in case that was a problem. Is this normal?

hairystuff

Distinguished
It's not normal I've had it happen with a Western Digital My Book Drive which belongs to a friend, all the external drives I own are made by seagate, buffalo, fujitsu and toshiba and none of them had that issue, the my book drive failed after 2 weeks and when it did that the data was unrecoverable.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
It could be your mobo ports (unlikely but possible) or it could be a dying drive and/or enclosure. First back up all the data off it then try connecting via your back ports. The front panel on most cases isn't that good quality. If your back ports still don't power it you could try taking it out and putting it in a different enclosure.