How to keep ethernet card with power after computer off

flesshy

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I really would like to know how to keep my Ethernet card powered after shutting down my Computer. I would like to use wol(wake on lan) to turn my computer on while I'm away from home so I can use remote access to edit some files. I have configured the wol and am receiving the packets, but every time I turn off my PC the LAN card turns off as well,thus not letting me wake up my PC.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Some motherboards keep the lan cards powered even in standby mode. This is done by using some lanes in the PCI bus (or the on-board lan). Mine for example does ( the connection light is always on, even when the PC being shut down ); (It also keeps a red led indicating power on on the mobo all the time)

However, if your particular motherboard model doesn't support this feature, then there's nothing you can do.

flesshy

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Is there any way to change settings so that the motherboard keeps the LAN card powered? I have the Asus p5g41t-mlx motherboard that is capable of wool..I have enabled the settings in the bios.by being capable of wol, should it not keep my LAN powered so that it really is possible to wake?

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Quoting some Google result (for your mobo):

"You must enable "Power On By PCI(E) Device" in the BIOS Power/APM Configuration Menu"

Theoretically this should enable that special power line I was talking about...
Hope it helps.

flesshy

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I have enabled a"power on by PCI(E) device..."Just now I saw the manual and it says that "this feature requires an ATX power supply that provides at least 1A on the +5VSB lead"

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Any recent ATX 2.1 or 2.2 PSU should provide that... however, if you have an old case with a chinese no-name PSU which says "400W" but is only 150W in reality, then you have a problem...

If that's the case but still doesn't work, then I don't know. Probably something broken...

flesshy

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I have also checked out that box...I have tried just about everything

flesshy

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Yes I have. Thank you very much for your post! I have finally been able to keep it on!!!! With every other twitch that I had to change to enable wol, the final step was to enable "shutdown wakeup" in the advanced tab of of my network adapter's properties...